Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 05:13:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[June 15, 2024, 10:00:06 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 04:43:13 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 03:48:56 PM]

[June 13, 2024, 08:15:37 AM]

by Zach
[June 13, 2024, 06:12:39 AM]

by jed
[June 12, 2024, 01:01:01 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 11:17:34 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 07:16:15 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 12:39:16 PM]

[June 08, 2024, 06:29:12 AM]

by Spot
[June 07, 2024, 11:10:55 AM]

[June 07, 2024, 08:15:15 AM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:35:37 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:08:01 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 01:37:54 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: Newbie and no Kayak yet.....(Added Marauder)  (Read 8722 times)

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Been window shopping for a kayak to play, fish, and recreate in our great areas of water in the PNW.   

Things I would like to experience with a kayak.

Trout fishing, crabbing, bottom fishing (salty), clamming hard to reach areas, swimming, paddling with the kids, kayak camping (later when my son is older), touring the San Juan Islands and other areas similar to this.  I plan to pick up a second kayak later that the wife can operate mostly in lakes and bays.  She is not really into fishing.  We have a 7 yr old boy and 11 yr old girl.  I figure I could tote around my son and the wife could take my daughter in a tandem. 

Pretty much narrowed it down to a few models that I think will fit my primary needs including fishing, ample storage inside and out, and stability.  I'm not really concerned with having a "fast" kayak, just comfortable, stable, and all around functional unit.   

Tell me what you think of these (good or bad, I'm looking for all input).

1. Cobra Fish N Dive XF
2. Cobra Marauder XF
3. Ocean Kayak Malibu Two XL Angler
4. Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Angler

Hopefully I'll be sporting my 1st kayak here in the next few months, and be ready to hit some local waters to paddle around in.  I am really looking forward to some salt fishing, even try the surf entry approach, as my 16' Fish-Rite aluminum boat is limited to the bays, lakes and rivers. It won't be doing the ocean while I own it.  ;D

BTW - Been lurking a while now, great site and hope to hear from ya. 

« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 06:19:38 PM by INSAYN »

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

armyjim

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Welcome to the group!
I tend to prefer the Ocean Kayaks, and if the tandem is like my Prowler, in the back of the cargo well, there is a little cutout so you can use it as a seat for your son; but don't take my word for it, I'm a n00b compared to the other guys.

Hope you get your boat soon. To paraphrase "Point Break" ...yak fishing's the source - it'll change your life - swear to the deity of your choosing.

Happy angling!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day...
Teach a man to fish and he will sit at his miserable job all day wishing he was fishing...

ThreeWeight

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Not really one kayak that can do all of that well.  The big tandems have room for you and the kids, but will be slow and tough to handle in the wind/current when solo, less than ideal for long paddles for camping.  Might want to set aside the touring idea for now, and look to a stable, large fishing kayak.

The Fish and Dive fits that bill well.  I'd also suggest looking at the Malibu X-Factor and the OK Big Game.  None of them are speed demons, but all will be very stable (enough to pull crab pots), roomy, and will have enough volume to handle a kid in calm water.  The X-Factor actually has an optional front hatch designed to serve as a kids seat.

My two cents... bear in mind my tandem paddling consists of one trip with the wife a few years ago.

Merlin

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
 I am a newbie as well so my opinion might not count for much, but I rented a Hobie Kona the other day. It is a tandem that is set up so it could be paddled solo as well.
  My wife and I made a three mile trip with both of our daughters on board. The youngest went back and forth sitting with my wife and I, and my oldest (9) sat in the front for half the trip then sat in the well in back for the second. The Kayak handled great even when loaded down with all of us, and even with my 9 year old wiggling around non stop. After lunch we dropped the girls off at the baby sitters and made a 6 mile trip (from Siltcoos lake to the ocean and back). We even took it out a little ways in to the ocean and played in some small waves. Over all it was a great day on a great yak.
  It is slow, and a little more expensive then some of the other tandems but with the great set up and stability I think it is well worth the $.
Enjoy the ride!                          

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Seriously, thanks for the welcome and the info. 

I have several years before junior is old enough to paddle his own kayak (camping) so maybe I'll stick to fishing, playing in the tide waters, and see how I do in calm surf zones. 

Later when I am addicted, I can look into adding some faster, narrow, single SOT units that we can cover more surface with.  Maybe do some camping with those. 

I've been bugging the snot out of my wife for about 3 weeks now, and mentioned once that we need to spend money on "other stuff" ie.. house stuff.   As much as I would love to spend money on "pretty stuff" for the house, I feel more drawn towards activities outside the house.   At work I can cash in my sick time, at any increment I like, paid out at time and half.  I have plenty of it saved up, so there is a yak in my near future.  Just need to dial in on what I want, and what I don't want.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
How does the Cobra Marauder XF rank in there with primary/secondary stability being that it is a bit longer, yet slightly narrower than the Fish~N~Dive? 

Looks like I could slap put my son on a seat in the center between my feet.  Also looks like it has tons of storage underneath. 

ThreeWeight

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
If kid hauling isn't a priority, also look to boats like the OK Prowler 13, the new Trident 13, Tarpon 120, etc... as well.  They give up stability vs. the work boats like the Big Game and X-Factor, but they are lighter (easier to load and unload) and faster.

The Marauder is the same width as the X-Factor, but a good bit shorter.  It should have pretty good primary stability (though not as good as the Fish-n-Dive or Big Game), but its short length will make it a little slow (prob. about the same as the Big Game.)  The biggest problem with Cobra boats up here in the NW is finding a dealer who carries them.  Our options are generally limited to OK, Hobie, and Wilderness Systems.  If you order and have it shipped, a whole world of options open up.

For what you are talking about doing, I'd really give the X-Factor a close look.

http://www.malibukayaks.com/kayak_xFactor.asp

Best bet is test drive a few through rentals or borrowing, and see what you like.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Until yesterday I was in the same thinking that Cobra yaks were going to be out of reach unless I wanted to drive to Eugene, Bandon, or Yakima.  However, while I was downtown at Next Adventure looking at their gear, we wandered over to Andy and Bax in the next block over.  They are Cobra distributors as well.  They eat the shipping, so if I order something from them, it is based on the online prices from Cobra (which look reasonable to me) with free shipping. 

Between the two brochures online the Marauder is 1" shorter, 2" narrower, and 3'lbs lighter than the X-factor.  Seating is the only difference, but I can see how I can put junior in either one without much issue.   ;D

« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 12:03:11 PM by INSAYN »

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
I've been reading alot of blogs and forums and how various folks deal with primary and secondary stability.  I thought I didn't really need any speed, but after reading a few articles about ocean chop, wind and other issues, I don't really want to sacrifice mobility by just relying on primary stability. 

So...

I have opened my window of kayaks a bit wider.  Packing around junior will most likely be minimal to the life of the kayak, so I am now making this a not such a primary concern. 

I am liking the looks and chat about the OK Trident 13. 
http://curriecustomnets.com/temp/New_OK_Tridents.pdf

Alkasazi

• Lingcod
  • Alkasazi
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
I've been enjoying the Trident 13 so far. I've been a huge fan of the Prowler 13 (Tridents are an evolution of that), which are great all-around boats. I've got a demo out in the Gorge if you're interested in checking one out & paddling for yourself. I should also be at Hagg Lake this Sunday, as well as the Pacific City derby.

Brian

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
I can do Hagg Lake Sunday for sure. 
Lemme know where you'll be on the lake, and I'll be there. 
I only live 10 minutes away. 

I was reading your blog about the new toys.  Fun stuff! 

What is the asking price of the NEW Trident 13, I am not seeing it listed anywhere yet?

« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 09:11:13 AM by INSAYN »

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
If you're into tandems the OK Zest two is the ticket. I've seen it a few times and saw some friends fishing off it and gotta say it's quite fishable. It's gonna be a lot of work to paddle but looks like it won't have anyone swimming.

Z

Plus you can fit the whole family on it!! :D

2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

Alkasazi

• Lingcod
  • Alkasazi
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
cool, I'll let you know on Hagg as soon as I can organize my schedule.

The Trident 13 Angler is $999, and we have them in stock now. Main differences from the Prowler 13, are the center rod pod, sonar shield, and footpegs instead of footwells. It's also been a drier ride than my Prowler 13 so far. Stability & paddling performance feel the same to me.

Brian

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Sounds good, I'll keep Sunday open then.     ;D

Thx.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
INSAYN,

Where are your thoughts with this currently?  The T13 is a departure from what you have in your original list.  Not saying what's better one way or the other, but I've hesitated jumping in on this thread until you've converged a little.  So many choices ... I guess that's a good thing.

-Allen

anything