Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 09:37:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[June 05, 2024, 05:55:06 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 06:23:12 AM]

[June 04, 2024, 05:45:18 PM]

[June 04, 2024, 12:10:56 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 06:03:03 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:35:37 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:08:01 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 01:37:54 PM]

[June 02, 2024, 08:07:13 AM]

[June 02, 2024, 06:31:12 AM]

[June 02, 2024, 06:30:19 AM]

[May 31, 2024, 09:49:03 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:48:30 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:40:29 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 02:46:19 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: Paddle wear ---what do you use?  (Read 10271 times)

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
  I have wet suit farmer johns with a Kokatat paddle jacket, problem last trip was cold feet.  Barb at Kayak Academy says the Kokatat gore-tex launch sock are knee high, and keep one's feet warm, $55 or so.  She also said the Kokatat bibs with skirt mate with the paddle jacket and are good alternative to full dry suit ($160) and that way I could avoid the dry suit neck choker.
  What do you use to keep dry, warm and safe??  I realize that you OR cats who launch through the surf have different needs than us Puget Sound paddlers who stay pretty dry, except for the initial wade to put in the Mirage drive...
   I like Zee's Fishing dry suit but could not deal with the neck gasket...and the $600 tab is an issue.

Puzzled in Vashon
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I am in the same boat as you.  I launch through the surf and have been using a 3 mm wet suit with cheap rain pants and a jacket over it to cut the wind. It has no relief zip and that really annoys me.  It also can be damn cold if you get wet and its cold/windy off the oregon coast during non summer months.  I think I will be going the dry suit route. The cost will be a pinch but it is a really important piece of kit.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
If you're really concerned with the neck gasket on a dry suit, ask Barb at Kayak Academy about their "neck spacers".  Basically a tube ring that holds the gasket away from your neck.  In inclement weather or in an emergency, it's a quick tug on the neck and the gasket pops off and chokes you, uh , I mean cinches on your neck like it is supposed to.  Pretty neat device that I use all the time.

-Allen

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
I use breathable (Simms) waders and a cheap drytop during exposed trips. My gasket has stretched. The ring sounds like a good idea, especially if you can pull it before you hit the water.

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
I just ordered the Kokatat dry bibs with attached sock feet.  There is a "skirt" that mates with the skirt on the Kokatat paddle jacket to make a (mostly) waterproof seal at the waist.  In summer, one could just wear the bibs on the lakes.
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I recently bought a kokatat dry suit at Alder creek. I waited until my birthday.  You get 20% off anything there on your birthday.  It brought the price down from $899 to $719 plus they threw in some stuff for the zipper and gaskets.  Its still expensive, but the only way to get my 401k back to where it should be is if someone starts stimulating the economy. Therefore,  I took it upon myself to start the stimulus.  Unfortunately, it hasn't seemed to work yet.  Ah well, i got a nice dry suit out of the deal.

By the way, Allen, i saw you trimmed your neck choking gasket back a couple of rings.  what did you use for the trimming?

Thanks,
 Craig

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
By the way, Allen, i saw you trimmed your neck choking gasket back a couple of rings.  what did you use for the trimming?

A good pair of scissors.

-Allen

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
Allen,  could you post up a pic or two of this neck ring? 
Maybe one in the "in use" position as well? 

Thanks!

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Allen,  could you post up a pic or two of this neck ring? 
Maybe one in the "in use" position as well? 

Thanks!

All right ... I'll try to get some pics this weekend.

-Allen

Tom B

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
I took some leaky old breathable waders with neoprene booties, cut the legs off at the knees, and wear them under a farmer john wet suit. I like the safety and maneuverability of the wet suit, plus the ability to wade in shallow water without getting wet.

Tom

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
Nice job of recycling!  I did the same with my old canvas/rubber waders to make a pair of rough-duty yard boots ( I make biodiesel and there's usually oil and BD around the shed "refinery").

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
not to hijack the thread, but in case you want to reuse and don't know exactly how you'd want to,, here's a great site ;

http://www.recycledwaders.com/
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Currently I have been wearing an NRS Flux dry top.... and chest waders with neoprene booties.

I'm happy with the top because I can layer under and keep my upper body warm.

The waders are thin non-insulated, and tend to be on the colder side. 
I have layered them with a pair of Cabela's brand fleece pants (found at Goodwill for $7  :thumbsup:). 
This works for lakes, but I'm leary of this in the big blue.

I am considering picking up an NRS Ultra Farmer John wet suit to go with my dry top. 
Do ya think it'll be warm enough for the Oregon Coast waters?  Maybe a pair of rain pants hacked off at the knees over this?

http://www.outdoorplay.com/store/Product.asp?DID=504&PDID=9&SKU=PWS_NSUJO

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
I just ordered the Kokatat dry bibs with attached sock feet.  There is a "skirt" that mates with the skirt on the Kokatat paddle jacket to make a (mostly) waterproof seal at the waist.  In summer, one could just wear the bibs on the lakes.

Did you order the Gore-Tex Whirlpool Bibs?

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Found this interesting list of levels of protection on another kayak fishing site.
Whatcha think of the logic?

Level of Protection

The following is a list of clothing for a variety of conditions that every kayak angler may face in a fishing season. Level 1 (harsh)- Level 4 (favorable) protection. "A,B,C,D" categories are for organizing and does not reflect "best" vs. "least" protection. It's always good practice to test your clothing in a safe body of water while performing a self-rescue.

Level 1 protection (less then 50 degree water and cold air)

A) Dry Suit with layers and foot protection.

B) 7mm Farmer John Wet Suit with 7mm Boots and Dry Top or Semi Dry with layers and foot protection.

C) Neoprene stocking foot or boot type waders with layers and Dry Top or Semi Dry with layers and one or two belts, foot protection.

D) We recommend a wool cap and gloves to be worn on cold days.

Level 2 protection (50-60 degree water and cold air)

A) Dry Suit with layers and foot protection

B) 3-4mm Farmer John Wet Suit with 7mm Boots and Dry Top or Semi Dry with layers and foot protection

C) Neoprene stocking foot or boot type waders with layers and Dry Top or Semi Dry with layers and one or two belts, foot protection.

D) Optional wool cap and gloves to be worn as needed.

Level 3 protection (60-65 degree water and cool air)

A) 2-3mm Farmer John Wet Suit with boots and Dry Top or Semi Dry with layers and foot protection

B) Splash Wear, tops and bottoms, with first layer product for insulation.

C) Breathable Nylon stocking foot waders with Teva's or wading boot, first layer, Dry Top or Semi Dry and one or two belts.

Level 4 protection (65 degree water plus and warm air)

A) Hydrophobic material for t-shirt and shorts (Comfortable with UPF30+ which blocks out 99% of the sun's UVA and UVB rays)

B) Splash Gear (It's always a good idea to have a dry bag with Splash Gear for protection in the event of an approaching cold front or rain)

C) Head Gear (Comfortable with UPF30+ which blocks out 99% of the sun's UVA and UVB rays)