Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:42:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Yar, thar be bilge!  (Read 5389 times)

andyjade

• Sturgeon
  • Photo Dump
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I'm starting to suspect a leak in my sit-in Perception day touring boat.  Even in the flattest water, I get quite a bit of water in my boat.  Even during the first 10 minutes or so of use.  Granted, I've been using a nylon skirt in these conditions, but, even under the most liberal estimate, I can't see how it would leech that much paddle splash into the cockpit.  So I am blaming the hull.  It has the usual scratches and scrapes of a rotomolded plastic boat, but I can't see any that go through the hull.  The boat does not seem to leak unless I am in it (it doesn't leak if it's just floating at the dock).  Hatches and drain plug shouldn't be a culprit.  We're talking flat water and dry plug/hatches.

So, despite this rambling intro, what do you all think is the best way for finding said leak?  It's gotta be a small pin hole if anything, and one that opens when I stick my ass in the boat.  I was thinking of filling it with water, flexing the hull a bit, and keeping a careful eye out for water coming through the hull.  This seems messy and wasteful.  So, is there any other tried and true way to find this thing?  Thanks!

AJ
Blog/Photo Dump

Editor, The Milkcrate, Kayak Angler Lifestyle.

Alkasazi

• Lingcod
  • Alkasazi
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
yeah, the fill it up & see where it leaks out technique is the most effective I've found. You can also try sticking your head inside & see if you see light coming through, but that doesn't work if the hole is under the seat or other hardware. With what you're describing, I'd bet the problem is and thin crack or pinhole under the seat. It's a common place for stress & impact issues. If so, then you'd only need a bit of water, like a couple pint glasses, to see if that's where it's leaking.

andyjade

• Sturgeon
  • Photo Dump
Thanks, Alkasazi.

I guess that'll be tonight's project.  I'm betting you're right with the location, as I can't see anything fore or aft of the seat.

AJ
Blog/Photo Dump

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
If you're having a hard time seeing the leak try and add a few drops of food coloring to the water.

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

andyjade

• Sturgeon
  • Photo Dump
hmmm....good point, zee.  yeah, i imagine it's gonna be tough to see.  i may try that....
Blog/Photo Dump

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
I'd go with air pressure myself.   Find a suitable chunk of plastic (heavy garbage bag, or winter window covering) to cut and fit over any hatch holes, and seat opening and secure with duct tape.   Apply about 5-8 lbs of compressed air through the drain hole.  Wait until the plastic you applied shows the pressure in the boat, and then go around the boat spraying liberally with a soapy water mixture.  Rotate the boat so that the surface you are testing is on top to keep the soapy water relatively in place and not just dripping off quickly.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

andyjade

• Sturgeon
  • Photo Dump
Thanks, all.  The fill-her-with-water method worked, and I found two stress fractures below the seat.  That's plus two points for Alkasazi.  I even verified it by putting a lantern in the boat.  Saw light in my two suspected holes.  Seems like an easy enough fix, I suppose.  I don't wanna play with the heat gun method, so I may opt for some marine epoxy. 

I don't think that this scenario + accrued WAF = new 17' Fiberglass Delta touring boat.  It'd be sweet if it did, though.

AJ
Blog/Photo Dump

Alkasazi

• Lingcod
  • Alkasazi
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
cool, glad you found the issue. plastic welding is fun, don't be skeert. Another method, which several of my creeker friends use can be found here:

http://www.oregonkayaking.net/how_to/boat_repair.html

vinyl mastic is also supposed to work well in place of the duct tape. haven't tried it myself yet.

and finally, here's a product a friend of mine's repping, supposed to work well:
http://www.crg-industries.com/howto/how-to-repair-canoe.htm

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Nice links AKZ! The duct tape job is awesome. IS there anything duct tape can't do?
http://thezac.com/ducttape/

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
Another option for repair if you don't want to use the heat gun..... is Eternabond.  Used to permanently repair leaks on RV's and such.  Once its on there, it's not coming back off.   :o

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

andyjade

• Sturgeon
  • Photo Dump
hmmm, so many choices!  that crg-industries stuff looks cool.  i'll have to ponder this.  finding the leak was what i was worried about.  this will just be a chance to do a little work and drink a few cold ones in the garage.  thanks, all!

hmmm....looks like next adventure has that rec'repair stuff.  i may give it a try.  seems kinda cool.....
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 11:08:52 AM by andyjade »
Blog/Photo Dump

andyjade

• Sturgeon
  • Photo Dump
Decided to use G-Flex epoxy from West Marine.  So far so good.  I did the necessary prep work (sand, alcohol wipe, flame treat), and it seems to be stuck on there pretty well.  I'll take her for a voyage tonight and test this theory.  I'll bring the big bilge pump just in case.
Blog/Photo Dump