Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 12:09:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:52:48 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by jed
[April 29, 2024, 05:39:20 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Immersion gear II  (Read 13150 times)

Fishboy

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
OK, I've been going back through the threads trying to come up with a reasonable summary of options for achieving Fishesfromtupperware's goal:
To be comfortable fishing in the ocean, and to be able to huli/fall out and climb back in and and continue to fish comfortably.
Options appear to be:
Drysuit with relief zipper with fleece underlayers and warm foot coverings. PRO: Dryest option, least binding. CON: Most expensive, and can get hot.
Wetsuit with relief zipper, layers under, upper layers especially if Farmer John to protect against armpit heat loss, and dry top, various socks, booties, shoes. PRO: Less expensive than dry suit. Warmer under immersion conditions and adds to buoyancy -- safety factor. CON: IF less than 7 mil, can still leave you very cold quickly in ocean water. Also subject to serious heat loss in wind, requiring rain paints, etc. At 7 mil, can be a roasting oven.
Waders and drytop with socks, pant and shirt layers under waders, belt, and the drytop. Layers can include a 3 mil wetsuit as well as various fleece and hydroskin options. PRO: Properly assembled ensemble can provide good, dry protection in a dunking at less cost than a drysuit, especially for those who already have waders. CON: Relief issues scream for attention here; without a zipper/valve you would be open to disaster if you huli while all unzipped during a "nature event." Breathable waders also subject to severe heat loss in wind, requiring rain pants or another layer.

When all is said and done, it would seem a dry or semi drysuit like the Kokatat Super Nova may be worth the expense. It offers relief, leakage protection and with judicious layering can keep you warm and comfortable, with occasional venting to bleed off heat, and with the least restrictive characteristics.
Any comments, additions, clarifications most welcome. I'm trying to assemble my kit at the least initial expense, but saving a few bucks at the cost of roasting, freezing, peeing myself or feeling like I am bound up like the Michelin tire boy doesn't make sense.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 07:40:28 AM by Fishboy »

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
OK, I've been going back through the threads trying to come up with a reasonable summary of options for achieving Fishesfromtupperware's goal:
To be comfortable fishing in the ocean, and to be able to huli/fall out and climb back in and and continue to fish comfortably.
Options appear to be:
Drysuit with relief zipper with fleece underlayers and warm foot coverings. PRO: Dryest option, least binding. CON: Most expensive, and can get hot.

Some people find latex gaskets to be the "most binding".  I don't find a drysuit much hotter than the alternatives.  Think of it this way ... you're dressing for immersion.  The insulation you have on (wetsuit, drysuit, or otherwise) should be similar.  So heat issues should be similar, at least under normal dry conditions while you're sitting on your yak.  The one benefit of drysuits is that to me, they don't seem to have the same evaporative cooling that you have in wetsuits.  Wetsuit can get really cold once you get wet, then are sitting back on your kayak.

Wetsuit with relief zipper, layers under, upper layers especially if Farmer John to protect against armpit heat loss, and dry top, various socks, booties, shoes. PRO: Less expensive than dry suit. Warmer under immersion conditions and adds to buoyancy -- safety factor. CON: IF less than 7 mil, can still leave you very cold quickly in ocean water. Also subject to serious heat loss in wind, requiring rain paints, etc. At 7 mil, can be a roasting oven.

I don't layer under the bottoms.  It's extremely difficult to get a layer on down there without it bunching up.

Not necessarily warmer under immersion conditions.  Again, you should be dressing with the same insulation goals in mind whether you go drysuit or wetsuit.

Lot's of people feel perfectly comfortable in 3 or 5 mm wetsuits in the ocean. 

If you're wearing the proper PFD (you are, right?), does the added buoyancy make that much of a difference?

Waders and drytop with socks, pant and shirt layers under waders, belt, and the drytop. Layers can include a 3 mil wetsuit as well as various fleece and hydroskin options. PRO: Properly assembled ensemble can provide good, dry protection in a dunking at less cost than a drysuit, especially for those who already have waders. CON: Relief issues scream for attention here; without a zipper/valve you would be open to disaster if you huli while all unzipped during a "nature event." Breathable waders also subject to severe heat loss in wind, requiring rain pants or another layer.

To me, this is just a variation on the full drysuit.  Cheaper.  Your mileage may vary.  You hit the point when you said "properly assembled".  Still, some people don't think there is a 100% proper way to assemble this.

When all is said and done, it would seem a dry or semi drysuit like the Kokatat Super Nova may be worth the expense. It offers relief, leakage protection and with judicious layering can keep you warm and comfortable, with occasional venting to bleed off heat, and with the least restrictive characteristics.
Any comments, additions, clarifications most welcome. I'm trying to assemble my kit at the least initial expense, but saving a few bucks at the cost of roasting, freezing, peeing myself or feeling like I am bound up like the Michelin tire boy doesn't make sense.

Relief issues don't have to be issues.  All the above can have relied zippers added.

I'm waiting for someone to come up with a cooling apparatus.  Kind of like using heat warmers in gloves in the snow.  I'd like to be able to add body coolers in my drysuit when it's warm out.

-Allen

squidgirl

• Salmon
allen

since you mentioned the hand warmers for getting warm. how about ice packs for cooling off.  :laugh:

"Life is short lets go fishing"

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
allen

since you mentioned the hand warmers for getting warm. how about ice packs for cooling off.  :laugh:

I thought about that.  Tool cold.  But then I thought about just setting an icy pack in my lap on the outside ...  :o

-Allen

Fishboy

• Lingcod
Holy shrinkage, Batman!

Fishboy

• Lingcod
Ordered a Kokatat Super Nova semi-dry suit from Kokopelli in Ashland.

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
You can get cooling vests such as are worn under HazMat suits.  Sort of like ice packs, but not as cold.  I don't know how comfy they would be under a dry suit.  I may give it a try someday.

They are pricey to experiment with, but I have access to several.  Here is a link, but I picked it at random after googling 'cooling vest'.
http://www.climatechsafety.com/?gclid=CKiipbWi25kCFRFWagodJQf9XA

-Craig
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 08:09:15 PM by craiggamesh »

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007

Relief issues don't have to be issues.  All the above can have relied zippers added.

I'm waiting for someone to come up with a cooling apparatus.  Kind of like using heat warmers in gloves in the snow.  I'd like to be able to add body coolers in my drysuit when it's warm out.

-Allen

I did a quick search at Mountain Soles http://www.mtnsoles.com/, a great repair place in PDX. Here's their price list. Adding a relief zipper would cost almost 3x the cost of my waders   :-\

Dry Suit Gasket Replacement

For kayakers and rafters, Mountain Soles offers replacement of latex gaskets (seals) on dry suits, dry tops, and dry bibs.  We stock a wide selection of gaskets from OS Systems and Kokatat.  For the do-it-yourself folks, we stock gasket replacement kits for sale in our shop (prices listed down below).   We also repair tears or holes on Nylon and Waterproof breathable fabrics like Gore-tex.

We now have a limited supply of waterproof breathable fabric booties. We recommend that you come in to our shop and try them on prior to installation if possible. If you are a mail order customer and would like latex or fabric booties, please call and consult with us first about the make and construction of you suit. Gaskets Replaced by Mtn. Soles   

Neck   $60.00
Wrist (each)    $35.00
Wrist (pair)    $60.00
Ankle (each)    $35.00
Ankle (pair)    $65.00
Latex Booties/Socks (installed only as a pair) sizes S, M, L, XL   $70.00
Waterproof Breathable Fabric Booties/ Socks (installed only as a pair) sizes S, M, L, XL call to make sure we have your size in stock and to discuss your specific suit.   $130.00
Waterproof Relief Zipper (so you can pee) 6″ long.   $160.00
Repair of rips & tears- cost varies depending on damage.    $20.00 min

*Please note- we do not test dry suits for leaks (such as pin holes). For these kinds of problems we suggest that you send your suit back to the manufacturer and have them test it.
We do not work on diving suits.Gasket Replacement Kits/ Do-it-yourself repair   
Kokatat Neck Gasket Replacement Kit (Sm or Lg)*   $42.00
Kokatat Wrist Gaskets Replacement Kit (sold in pairs, Sm or Lg)*   $36.00
Kokatat Ankle Gaskets Replacement Kit (sold in pairs, one size fits all)*   $46.00
*Kokatat Gasket Replacement Kits include gasket(s), sandpaper, Aquaseal glue, 303 Protectant, and instructions.   
Seal Saver- extends the life of latex gaskets and rubber products. 100% silicone   $5.00
UV Tech- protects watersports equipment from harmful UV rays   $8.00
Zip Care- cleans & lubricates all types of zippers   $5.00
Zip Tech- lubricates & protects watertight & airtight zippers   $6.50
Univeral Repair Kit- for field repairs, 1/4oz. seam grip, 2 repair patches, brush   $7.00
Aqua Seal- urethane repair adhesive & sealant 1oz. tube   $7.00
Prices subject to change without notice
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 08:59:22 PM by steelheadr »
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

Fishboy

• Lingcod
160 clams for the opportunity to pee with dignity ...  :o

squidgirl

• Salmon
and thats 160 dollars for you men to relieve yourselves. i could emagine what it would cost to put a larger one in the back for us ladies.

Marilyn

PS. for us washingtonians theres a place in Seattle called Seattle Fabrics that carrys the neopreme rubber and the different weights of gortex and zippers. I havent went up there yet to check out colors and stock availablity.
"Life is short lets go fishing"

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
I use the waders/drytop combo for protection. For peeing, I just loosen the bottom of the top and pull the top of the waders down. My Simms waders have extra stretchy straps that let me get away with this.

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
My cheapo Hodgeman wader straps stretch a little bit but I need to reach up and unclip both of them to be useful. By the time I get off the water, it's an entertaining little scramble to get it all done. And not unlike Wali's 'special' dance either.  ;)
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

jself

"I don't layer under the bottoms.  It's extremely difficult to get a layer on down there without it bunching up."

Allen- I tuck my fleece bottoms into my socks, and tuck my top into my bottoms. This seems to keep me from bunching and wedgies in the dry suit.

-Allen

Whenever I get hot in my dry suit, I just dump over and roll up, or lay in the water and scull. I call it "the air conditioner", and it's the only way I've ever found to cool off without taking the suit off! I'm not trying to boast, but that's really what I do (except for in the Willamette. I'd rather just sweat!). I would suggest hopping off the SOT into the water. It will cool you off, and give you good re-entry practice!

jself

I did a quick search at Mountain Soles http://www.mtnsoles.com/, a great repair place in PDX. Here's their price list. Adding a relief zipper would cost almost 3x the cost of my waders   :-\

If you have a kokatat suit, it's better and cheaper to have them install it. I can't remember the exact price, but could get a quote if you need.

J

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon

"I don't layer under the bottoms.  It's extremely difficult to get a layer on down there without it bunching up."

Allen- I tuck my fleece bottoms into my socks, and tuck my top into my bottoms. This seems to keep me from bunching and wedgies in the dry suit.

-Allen

Whenever I get hot in my dry suit, I just dump over and roll up, or lay in the water and scull. I call it "the air conditioner", and it's the only way I've ever found to cool off without taking the suit off! I'm not trying to boast, but that's really what I do (except for in the Willamette. I'd rather just sweat!). I would suggest hopping off the SOT into the water. It will cool you off, and give you good re-entry practice!

You know, that makes perfect sense.  But every ounce of my being tries to keep me from being IN the water.

-Allen

anything