Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:11:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 03:04:32 PM]

by Spot
[Today at 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: DIY kayak truck rack  (Read 34496 times)

Fishboy

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Been googling this topic as I have a new T13 to get home from the store ASAP in my F150, and want to save my clams for some Kokatat gear. This one looks pretty nice:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281905

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I was going to post my version of a DIY kayak truck rack in your other thread, but this thread is shorter and has a better title. 

I still need to paint and pad the rear portion, but the front is completely finished and bolted into place.
After loading and unloading both kayaks myself, I found that I don't need a kickstand to prop the kayak on while lifting the other end up. The hook on the end is all I need to get set the kayak on while getting the other end up. 

Took it for a shake down run at highway speeds and bumpy gravel roads and it is rock solid. 

« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 04:01:14 AM by INSAYN »

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Fishboy

• Lingcod
INSAYN: That looks industrial strength! Nice welds and nice design.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Thanks!   ;D

I may build some "J" mounts to hold 1 or 2 more kayaks in the future.   I know I'll be getting a 3rd kayak in the not to distant future for the wife, so my kids can share the Malibu Two XL.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Looks great.  Need one for my mini-van.  I wish I still had my Toyota PU. 

For the J mounts, maybe bend some electrical conduit pipe and use foam pipe insulation.  I was going to try it but haven't had time, or a pipe bender for that matter.

Nice choice in carpet.  I used that carpet for my utility/small boat trailer and saw horses.  The trailer has been outside for four years and has hauled numerous loads of mulch and the carpet is still in great condition.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Looks great.  Need one for my mini-van.  I wish I still had my Toyota PU. 

For the J mounts, maybe bend some electrical conduit pipe and use foam pipe insulation.  I was going to try it but haven't had time, or a pipe bender for that matter.

Nice choice in carpet.  I used that carpet for my utility/small boat trailer and saw horses.  The trailer has been outside for four years and has hauled numerous loads of mulch and the carpet is still in great condition.

I'm thinking 1" aluminum tubing.  I have a tube bender (actually 2), and a die for 1" for one of them. 
With aluminum, I wouldn't have to paint them.

The carpet was some remnents of another project I had so it was an easy choice.  Still need to do the rear section and shoot some paint on it.  Then I can ad some appropriate stickerage.   ;D

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Aluminum is a much better choice.  Where do you get it from? 

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
There is a metal fab between Forest Grove and Banks that I get my aluminum from.  Decent prices too. 

Fishboy

• Lingcod
Man, I am liking your rack more every time I see it, Insayn -- and especially after building the butt-ugliest rack on the planet. It seems to work, and it only cost about $18 in hardware, but people are pointing and laughing. Here it is on its end:

squidgirl

• Salmon
fishboy..

i dont think it can be any worse then this rack.. its all PVC but spray painted black.

"Life is short lets go fishing"

Fishboy

• Lingcod
Hey Squidgirl: Swap you mine for yours. It's a very nice one!

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Squidgirl, you kayaks seem to just hover above the rack.  Do they stay put while traveling at highway speeds?  ;D

squidgirl

• Salmon
insayn..

sure do..  :laugh:

No it actually sits on it. if you look i have it sitting on its pulleys. kind of nice to be able to back in and drop the Yak on the rack and go. or pull in and secure it from there.

"Life is short lets go fishing"

anything