Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:21:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Spot
[Today at 10:57:58 AM]

[Today at 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Oregon "Heaviest Fish" Classic Event Photos  (Read 9981 times)

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Figured I'd start the ball rolling with pictures of the alternate venue so we could get them all posted in one place.  ;)

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Back at head quarters for the potluck and raffle.  I didn't take any pics of the raffle, as it was too dark by then.
Sorry for the blurry pictures, my mom and daughter took the camera from me and didn't know how to set it up for solid shots.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Looks like I really missed out.  Thanks Zee for picking up my slack, I owe you.

By the way, the rest of us that didn't go want details...

Brian
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Yarjammer

• Salmon
  • Captain of the Titanic
  • Date Registered: May 2008
I'll get the photos from my wife's camera up here this evening.

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Yeah, I have some pics I can get up here a little later. Sorry about the delay on details everyone.
Yesterday was for sure a make-up day for the WAF account! :laugh:

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Yeah, I have some pics I can get up here a little later. Sorry about the delay on details everyone.

Hmm, are you for some reason responsible for the details?  You must have really lost big time :)

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Details.....you want details?  From my yak this is how it went.  NO BITES!  None, Nada, Ziltch, Zero.  I got snagged up on a submerged log, but was able to free the lure without damage.  Got snagged in a tree with yet another lure, but was able to rip that one free as well.  Drifted in REALLY close to both the Blue Heron and the family of deer without being detected.  At one point I was roughly 10 feet from the mama deer.  The deer "puppies" where a fun to watch as they jumped around playing with each other. 

I threw everything I had at those silly fish and no bites.  It was kinda fun passing by folks (more than a dozen times) through the day getting updates from them, little stories, blah blah blah.   Then there was Squid Girl on the VHF.  "Here fishy, fishy, fishy, where are you?"   And the good one!  "Uh Rich".....  "Yes"..... "Where are you?"......
(long silence)....    "I'm at the back of the lake, why?".......  "Is the truck unlocked?".......  "No".......  etc.......
Other folks got into the conversation at this point and I don't have enough memory on board to remember all the details, but it got silly real quick.  ;D

The Nothing pulled off the biggest fish with a 2lb+ bass.  This was caught really early in the morning, and nobody touched his lead all day.  Goldendog was slaying the trout all day bumping folks out of 3rd place, and then 2nd place with a 1 lb+ trout.  Steelheadr hung on to 3rd with his bass.  Did anyone get pictures of these fish, BTW?

Back at headquarters, AMB started a wicked nice fire for all to sit by.  Food started coming out of the woodwork and piling up on the table.  We had fish, LP, a pot or two and just 2 quarts of oil.  No Panko or Tempura batter!  CBY and I buzzed off to Walmart and Safeway to get more oil and the fish coatings (big thanks to CBY for this BTW). 

We got Zee all setup with the oil, batter and and sliced up rockfish  (thanks Steelheadr for cutting the fish up).  Then we turned Zee loose with the fish fry.  Good job bro!  Good eats for sure.  Somewhere a little jar of Mrs. Dash popped up and that got sprinkled on the fish after the hot tub ride.  Wow that works!  It works really good!  Cobrakak76 mixed up some crazy fish dip out of who knows what.  It was tangy, spicy, creamy, colorful and then some.  Double dipping for all.

Raffle was great!  Cobrakak76 slayed alot of the "hot" items with his 200 and something raffle tickets.  He was donating won prizes to "whomever is the newest member", or "who drove the furthest", or even to me for taxiing him and his yak to and from the campground so his family could sleep in and visit the lake later in the day. 
He's a really good guy!  Lots of heart in him  :love5:.

Helped wrap up the mess as the rain was trying to spit, and I made my way back to my RV up at Devils Lake SP. 

Good times! 

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009

Hmm, are you for some reason responsible for the details?  You must have really lost big time :)

Yeah, you got it!
Coming home empty handed didn't look good! :D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 10:30:10 AM by yaknitup »

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

The Nothing

• De nihilo nihil
  • Sturgeon
  • De nihilo nihil
  • YakFish@IOL
  • Date Registered: May 2009
I didn't take good enough notes (read: ANY) to give a full report, but I had also planned on letting Zee take care of all of the "official" stuff. I know he took lots of notes.

here are some of my pics.  Mostly from the iPhone as I discovered the battery on my dSLR was dead.  Lame. If i had known that I could have charged it in the car on the way. I did get a couple pics from it though...

Friday Night

First yak fish for me!

Prizes

Cause all we need are cookies and beer

Zee battering up

Kids with fire! Awesome
~Isaac
Blog 'YakFish
ProStaff NRSJackson Kayak | PK Lures | YakAngler

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Thanks Craig for the details!

Congratulations to the Nothing, Goldendog and Steelheadr.  Enjoy your prizes well.

Raffle was great!  Cobrakak76 slayed alot of the "hot" items with his 200 and something raffle tickets.
200 and something raffle tickets or $200 worth of raffle tickets?  Either way, wow!  Really good guy indeed!

CBY and I buzzed off to Walmart and Safeway to get more oil and the fish coatings (big thanks to CBY for this BTW).  
The two of you are like some long lost cousins or something.  You're both in to fabricating stuff and ATVs and you bare a slight resemblance to each other.  Sounds like you must have gotten along okay with you big bromance road trip to Walmart.  :lovestory:

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Thanks Craig for the details!

Congratulations to the Nothing, Goldendog and Steelheadr.  Enjoy your prizes well.

Raffle was great!  Cobrakak76 slayed alot of the "hot" items with his 200 and something raffle tickets.
200 and something raffle tickets or $200 worth of raffle tickets?  Either way, wow!  Really good guy indeed!

CBY and I buzzed off to Walmart and Safeway to get more oil and the fish coatings (big thanks to CBY for this BTW).  
The two of you are like some long lost cousins or something.  You're both in to fabricating stuff and ATVs and you bare a slight resemblance to each other.  Sounds like you must have gotten along okay with you big bromance road trip to Walmart.  :lovestory:

Actually it was something like 50 tickets but who's count'n?   ;)   It all went for a good cause.

Bromance road trip to Walmart?  Too funny!   
We were on a mission to make sure we had a fish fry and I don't even think ATV's came up in conversation until after the raffle was over and most folks were gone.   CBY is a good guy.  I plan to get down his way to fish with him for sure (and do some ATV riding as well).

What's the scoop on your prego wife?  Any updates?

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
 Sounds like you must have gotten along okay with you big bromance road trip to Walmart.  :lovestory:

sniff..... sniff, sniff....

Is that ass I smell or just another asshat?

:police:
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

amb

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Hey Spot.  Maybe you just need a shower....

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Big thanks to everyone for coming out to the event. Total tally was 22 entrants so just about double last years' tournament. The potluck rocked and everyone went away with some swag.. and some MUCH more. Big congrats to The Nothing with the days' biggest fish (2 pound 12 oz. largemouth bass) and first place and the owner of a brand new Ocean Kayak Trident. Second was goldendog with a 1 pound 1 oz. rainbow trout and a brand new paddle from Outdoor Play. And third went to Steelheader with a 14 oz. largemouth bass who got a Kokatat Bahia Tour PFD.

Here's how it went down for me.

I got there about 12PM Saturday and was greeted by sunny and warm conditions on the coast. I dropped by the entrance of the Yauina Bay and it was a washing machine even though the real swell was a day away. Got some supplies from the local grocery store and checked out the lake. A very warm and windless lake was before me with a grey pickup truck and a San Diego Chargers sticker... it was Yakinitup doin a little pre-fishing. He came in and said he'd gotten a few trout. The water was extremely warm (70's I guess) but the LMB's weren't doing their thing. Cobrakak76 dropped in with the family and after talking with a few locals headed to camp.

I went back to camp and set up HQ while everyone slowly trickled in. A lot of members next to HQ meant we could spread out and it worked great for the festivities. After stopping by cobrakak's for some steaks we all migrated to pelagpaddler's for some chicken vindaloo. For those who missed out on that I'm sorry... the man knows curry. Checked out the mist that had been kicked up by the increasing swell and a sunset and got ready for tourney day.

I got to the lake at 5AM and wouldn't ya know it Yakinitup and Pelagicpaddler were already there. Totally pitch black and drizzly but the two headlamps on the water proved they were after that new yak.

As light came on more showed up and before ya knew it there were 22 kayaks floating around on the water. Quite a sight for the secluded little reservoir. I launched at 7AM and when I turned on my VHF there were already fish to weigh. I fished a little with breaks to weigh fish and t was pretty consistent. The Nothing and Steelheader were the first to strike. Yakinitup came along and placed third. Then was knocked out of contention by Coosbayyakker, then came back but then knocked out of contention by Scott, came back but knocked out of contention by Mybuddy and finally when Goldendog posted his 1 pound 1 oz. trout solidified the board. Big kudos for Yakinitup battling. In between all the action I picked up 4 rainbows that were pretty and fun to catch but not weigh worthy.

Afterward at the campground the potluck went down. Lots of grubbin' food and my duty at the fryer was all taken care of thanks to CBY and INSAYN. Thanks guys! After giving out the prizes and the raffle it was time to have a beer and count the cash. We raised $255 for the Coastal Conservation Association. BIG THANKS TO EVERYONE!!

A great event and I had great time hanging out and meeting new people! Let's get ready for next year!!!

Z
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 11:58:27 AM by Zee »
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

amb

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Thanks Z for pulling this thing off single handed.  It went great and really the only thing that didn't cooperate was the ocean.  You figure out how to control that and you'r one smart guy.  The food was awsome.  Everything came together and both the wife and I had a good time.  Looking forward to next year -

Alan