Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 08:15:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 09, 2024, 09:27:35 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Columbia Report...Hold on TIGHT!  (Read 4999 times)

Scott

• Lingcod
  • High Desert Fun
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
My buddy and I set out this AM hoping for a good day on the river to soak up the sun and hopefully catch a sturgeon.  Everything was falling into place...sun with little wind.  An easy launch at the mouth of the Deschutes gave us a nice push out to the Columbia.  We paddled out a cut bank at 25' just off the confluence of the two rivers, very fishy looking.  We both set out lines after anchoring in the current, and immediately had action on the rods.  It was so fast after the first cast I was sure we were bouncing down the cobblestones, but that was not the case.  We both set hook and Fish On!

My Buddy landed his barely sub-legal and raced down river to catch up to me.  I was being put to the test by an oversize.  The leviathan leaped right away and I silently released an "Oh S%$#" under my breath.  The thought of a monster landing on me, made me rethink my priorities.  One more time the surface burst with fury and I thought there was no way to land one this big.

This amazing fish put me through the ringer for an agonizing 45minutes, then I saw the bubbles come from the deep.  My arms were screaming from the tension- and I had been ready to cut the line.  I kept on top of it and after the ride across, up, and down river...we got a wonderful look at this fish.

It was an amazing sight to see this beautiful giant glide slowly upward into view.  It took my breath away and I really worried it was just coming up to kick my ass overboard.  My Buddy snapped a picture and I slid the hook out.  The fish rolled and away the beauty went, just like that.  We were floating in the river still exchanging "holy craps" over that.  

Only it was not over for us that day, it was now just after 9am.  We paddled back up to the anchor buoy and set out the lines.  Two more sub-legal sturgeon released at the yaks.  Then it happened again!  My buddy was hooked up for the ride of his life, and this fish was ripping him and his yak through the river!  It launched out of the water landed with an explosion!  This fish beat up My Buddy for over half and hour until he successfully released it at yakside.  Now he was the one with the shaking hands and sore arms.  Oh, pain...sweet pain.

This was an amazing trip, weather and fish both shined on us that day.  No other boats to speak of, well the barges worried us some.  We released 16 sub-legal fish, all within 2 inches or less of being legal!  No complaints here, very very very thankful for our day on the river.
-Scott    
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 12:15:11 AM by Scott »

Yokut

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Mar 2010
that's FREAKIN AWESOME!!!

Great report too!!! Thanks for the narrative. - Yo

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
That is awesome!! nice monster, you guys killed it. great write up.

Too bad not one keeper for all that action.
See ya on the water..
Roy

Scott

• Lingcod
  • High Desert Fun
You know how it can be.  We have always gone with catch, photo, and release.  This trip we thought it would be ok to keep one since that pool quota was still needing to be met.  And of course we can catch fish all day long, but not a keeper.  They were all very nice fish too.  Some of the sub legal were really thick -and fought extremely hard for their size.  Just awesome, I'll take a day like this anytime.
-Scott

EOB

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2009
Gotta love that!  That sun sure warmed up yesterday.  I was upriver about 70 miles we had some good weather and hot fishing too.  I have refrained from trying to catch a oversize from the kayak fearing that the battle would last forever really stressing the fish, but if you guys are landing them in 30 to 45 min that's pretty good.  I think I'm gunna get out there and do it.

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
Gotta love that!  That sun sure warmed up yesterday.  I was upriver about 70 miles we had some good weather and hot fishing too.  I have refrained from trying to catch a oversize from the kayak fearing that the battle would last forever really stressing the fish, but if you guys are landing them in 30 to 45 min that's pretty good.  I think I'm gunna get out there and do it.

30-45 minutes is amazing in a kayak for big oversized like that..  Nice job getting into some great action! 

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
What's the fresh water kayak record for largest fish?

Thanks for the exciting report.
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Great lookin' dino Scott. Congrats.

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Most epic! Nice work!

:notworthy:

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

deepcolor

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2008
Fishtastic.  Congrats.  And thanks for the photos and report. 
...as soon as the Advil kicks in...

CGN-38

• Perch
  • Survivor Del Valle FnC 09'
  • Date Registered: Dec 2009
  Im sure I would have "loaded my shorts" if I got a chance to see a Leviathan like that along side my OB!  Damn!~.

Member STORM TROOPER Brigade

Alkasazi

• Lingcod
  • Alkasazi
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
damn, I gotta come check that out sometime soon....nice work!

goldendog

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Such a great days fishing, even though no keepers were caught. Still, it's the stuff fishing memories are made of. Thanks for sharing, it brought a smile to my face after our skunking at Sunset Bay this morning!
Fishing is much more than fish.  It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.  ~Herbert Hoover

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Great write up, nice photo.  Thanks.

anything