Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:06:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: D.I.Y. Extender arm for camcorder/camera  (Read 6705 times)

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
So the Xshot didn't last long once the salt water got inside.  I suggested to the point of contact for Xshot that they simply have a hole in the handle somewhere which can be used to fill the thing with some kind of corrosion inhibitor or at least allow a good way to rinse it out.  That's a whole different topic I guess...

Anyway, I needed another extender arm for my camera/camcorder that could use the RAM base that came with the Xshot kayak package.  This was the best part of that whole package IMHO.  Off to the local hardware store!!  ;D

I realized that my first mount for my camera actually worked pretty well.  I simply zip-tied a mini tripod to the end of a Scotty light which was able to be placed on the utility rack I made for the X-Factor so it was elevated to look over my shoulder.  I decided I was going to go back to the zip-tied tripod idea. 

I found a perfect fitting for the base pretty quickly.  A brass nipple whose exact measurements have escaped me, but you'd know it if you saw it.  It is threaded on both ends and is a pretty standard piece since I've seen the same one with the same dimensions in a couple of different hardware stores.  Next, I found another brass fitting that connects this nipple with the PVC.  It is also pictured and I can't remember the name or dimensions, but it is also a very standard piece.  I picked up about 3 ft. of 1/2" PVC, an end cap, four slip connection fittings, and a PVC connection fitting that is threaded on one side(the side that joins with the brass fitting) and a slip fitting on the other side.  The rope runs through the inside so that if the extender arm breaks, I don't loose my camera/camcorder that is mounted on the end.  The tripod pictured didn't end up making the cut since it resulted in VERY shaky footage so I went back to the one I used in my first generation mount. 

I decided to use all the slip fittings to make the thing more solid.  I cut a bunch of short segments to use inside the slip fittings so that the slip fittings touch each other and there is no space between them.  I ran the rope through the nipple and through the threaded PVC fitting.  After that, I tied a overhand knot with a stainless nut in the knot(pictured below).  I then put a stainless washer in the first slip fitting(pictured below).  This locks the rope into the handle end.  I threaded the rope through the whole thing once it was put together and out a hole drilled into the end cap.  I made another knot once the rope was threaded out the end cap with another stainless nut.  After that, I coated the end with a generous amount of Marine Goop to seal it all up.  The butt of the brass nipple was filled with Goop as well.  Essentially, the whole thing is sealed so I can dunk it without worrying about it filling up with salt water.  Finally, the tripod was zip-tied onto the end of the arm.

The tripod allows for easy, one-handed placement of the camcorder by using a removable base.  Very important

After a test run out on the ocean I realized that all the slip fittings gave the arm a lot of flex.  To fix this, I drilled small pilot holes in the slip fittings, then drilled small stainless screws so that the slip fittings and the PVC segments connecting them were screwed together.  This made it really solid.  I also added a zip-tie and a loop of tuna chord for a spot to clip on a float.

After I put the screws in, I noticed that it was very close to fitting into a Scotty rod holder I had laying around.  I backed some of the screws out a little bit so it could lock into the rod holder perfectly.  Next, I grabbed a Scotty gimbal mount and wrapped it in layers of insulation foam and electricians tape so it fit into the molded-in rod holders snugly.  I added a Scotty height extender and this provides a pretty good over-the-shoulder angle. 

Modified Scotty gimbal mount:

Done!!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 06:15:53 PM by rawkfish »

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
You Got R' Did! 

Functional, universal, and on the cheap. 
What else could you ask for?   :icon_king:

Now, my question is how to you know what the camera is aimed at when it is behind ya?

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Thanks!

Now, my question is how to you know what the camera is aimed at when it is behind ya?

Practice!   ;D  Seriously, I've just had to line it up while I'm on the shore and see what looks good and take a mental note of the positioning.  Also, I can always take a short 5 sec video clip, take it off the mount, play it back and see what it looks like.  It is easily within reach when I'm on the water.  It's actually pretty easy to get a decent shot by just looking at which way it's pointed, but it does actually take a little practice. 
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 12:24:01 AM by rawkfish »

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Rory

• Sturgeon
  • Rory's Internets Audio Blog
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010
Now that's pretty creative. Nice work Jeff!  Especially handy since i just busted my xshot last weekend. I'll spend some time with your instructions. Thanks!
"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Thanks!

Practice!   ;D  Seriously, I've just had to line it up while I'm on the shore and see what looks good and take a mental note of the positioning.  Also, I can always take a short 5 sec video clip, take it off the mount, play it back and see what it looks like.  It is easily within reach when I'm on the water.  It's actually pretty easy to get a decent shot by just looking at which way it's pointed, but it does actually take a little practice.

Maybe stick on a tiny mirror or laser pointer? 
Probably not a big enough deal to bother with. 

I don't get much past point and shoot, or wobbly hand held video, so I'm just shoot'n from the hip here.   8)

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Great idea Jeff and nice write-up! 

Thanks!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

anything