Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:28:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jed
[Today at 01:45:57 PM]

[Today at 12:21:09 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 11:35:40 AM]

[Today at 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Need some crabbing info/answers  (Read 6746 times)

Ranger Dave

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Like getting into kayak angling wasn't enough, now I'm getting geared up for crabbing from my kayak too. I've watched the video on the home page a few times as well as some on YouTube. I also took it upon myself to ask Demonic a few questions and he was a huge help, as anticipated. So now, I'm going to the forum looking for more equipment advice and pictures of how you're set up.

A big question that came up last night is, WDWF requires two buoys which seems like overkill, but being new to the concept of crabbing, I have no idea?? Here's a picture I borrowed from their rules and regulation page on legal rigging of a crab pot. Is everyone using two buoys and really, what's the purpose of the second one, other than a legal requirement? OR....maybe I'm reading this wrong and there is not two buoys required? I could really use some adult guidance here....Thanks.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 10:45:03 PM by CastIronTrout »
Retired Army - 67N/67V/67R/15R

ndogg

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • "Fists of Fury"
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
I have no clue about the 2 buoys.  It is probably to make it easier to hook the line when you are on a boat.   I am actually partial to crab rings if I am going out just to crab.  They stack easy and you need to check them every 15 minutes or so, which keeps you busy

mtom938

• Rockfish
  • OK Trident T13 Camo w/ HB 597 HD DI Combo
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
The diagram you have is somewhat misleading.  You only need one buoy, red and white.  It must be marked with your name and address at a minimum.  The pot they show is for shrimp, not crab.  There are rules regarding escape paths and biodegradable line that secures them.  Just about any pot for sale in this state meets those requirements.

My setup consists of a Willamette pot, 100' of lead core line, and a  buoy with weighted flagstick.  I carry releasble tie wraps to coil up the slack line and secure it under the buoy, leaving 15 or so feet loose to account for tidal exchange.  No need to clip a weight to leaded line, but if you use yellow polyprop then you must weight it or it will float at the surface and become a hazard to other PBs.  I will post a few views of my T-13 rigged for crabbing.

Enjoy!
"I am haunted by waters...."      -Norman MacLean

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
mtom938 has it right. A single buoy, (red and white for crab, yellow for shrimp), meets the legal requirements. In areas where there's heavy currents, a second buoy can be desirable for the extra flotation. It's not unheard of for the buoys to get dragged under the surface during peak flow, especially if the line has picked up a bunch of weed.

Back to my new haunts in the High Sierra... ::)

Ranger Dave

• Salmon
The diagram you have is somewhat misleading.  You only need one buoy, red and white.  It must be marked with your name and address at a minimum.  The pot they show is for shrimp, not crab.  There are rules regarding escape paths and biodegradable line that secures them.  Just about any pot for sale in this state meets those requirements.

My setup consists of a Willamette pot, 100' of lead core line, and a  buoy with weighted flagstick.  I carry releasble tie wraps to coil up the slack line and secure it under the buoy, leaving 15 or so feet loose to account for tidal exchange.  No need to clip a weight to leaded line, but if you use yellow polyprop then you must weight it or it will float at the surface and become a hazard to other PBs.  I will post a few views of my T-13 rigged for crabbing.

Enjoy!
Thanks....As mentioned, the diagram is straight from the WDWF Web-site, I just "borrowed" it for the sake of discussion. It mentions within it, the red & white buoy for crabbing and a yellow one for shrimp, but somewhere in my seahorse sized brain, I thought I read two buoys were "required" not just a good idea for additonal flotation.

Trust me, prior to posting this thread, I read and re-read the regulations on line, a book written by Scott Haugen exclusively on Dungeness Crabbing (also the title and very informative), have scoured the Web and PM'd the crap out of a few NWKA forum members who I found had any mention or reference to crabbing.

Another thing that I suppose should have been obvious is that if you buy a "set" which come with a rope, sometimes a bridle, maybe some form of bait box and any other accessories, it only includes one buoy (ding...ding...ding..the light come on over his head as he cops a clue)  ::)  Thanks again and by the way, awesome set up, but owning a Trident T-11, I'm kind of partial to Ocean Kayaks.

mtom938

• Rockfish
Thanks....As mentioned, the diagram is straight from the WDWF Web-site, I just "borrowed" it for the sake of discussion. It mentions within it, the red & white buoy for crabbing and a yellow one for shrimp, but somewhere in my seahorse sized brain, I thought I read two buoys were "required" not just a good idea for additonal flotation.

Trust me, prior to posting this thread, I read and re-read the regulations on line, a book written by Scott Haugen exclusively on Dungeness Crabbing (also the title and very informative), have scoured the Web and PM'd the crap out of a few NWKA forum members who I found had any mention or reference to crabbing.

Another thing that I suppose should have been obvious is that if you buy a "set" which come with a rope, sometimes a bridle, maybe some form of bait box and any other accessories, it only includes one buoy (ding...ding...ding..the light come on over his head as he cops a clue)  ::)  Thanks again and by the way, awesome set up, but owning a Trident T-11, I'm kind of partial to Ocean Kayaks.
[/quote]

This particular setup I bought at CABELAS in Lacey before I wondered into SPORTCO for the first time.  I'm trying to remember if the pot came with bridle.  I don't think it did.  I bought the buoy kit seperate which had a 3-part buoy/flagstick assembly with weight, yellow polyprop line and weighted clip, and the bridle I think.  I ditched the yellow line in favor of leaded.  Also had to purchase a fine mesh bait can seperate as I grind up frozen herring the night before to bait the jars with.  Oh yeah, also picked up a single pot weight and tiewrapped that to the base of the pot.  You know these kits come in so many different options you just have to figure out which has the most for the best price I guess.

Those two PVC pipes placed into the aft scupper holes keep the whole thing secure while paddling.  I have been asked if there is a lot of instability when moving the pot around the boat, and haven't noticed any at all.  I set and pull with feet over the side like in the video, but I really like the Scotty mini davits when pulling....so much easier and smoother.

I should check out that book you mentioned for more ideas!

;D
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 03:04:26 PM by mtom938 »

Ranger Dave

• Salmon
  I set and pull with feet over the side like in the video, but I really like the Scotty mini davits when pulling....so much easier and smoother.

I should check out that book you mentioned for more ideas!

;D

I was going to ask you if you sit side saddle to deploy and recover. I noticed in the video from Zee on the home page that seems to be the preference. I didn't notice you having the Scotty davits on your T-13, but did see them at Wholesale sports here in Vancouver and wondered if they would be a good investment. I'll be off to Home Depot for some PVC and other supplies for the rack as I really like that idea and have seen it on other yaks as well. As for the book, I picked it up locally for $7 bucks but here's a link to Amazon for the description. Five buyer/readers rated it 5 stars and I would too....Dave

http://www.amazon.com/Recreational-Dungeness-Crabbing-Scott-Haugen/dp/157188288X

mtom938

• Rockfish
Look at the photo taken from the bow....you will see them mounted forward of the seat, facing forward.  Why two?  Why not?  LOL...no seriously I just wanted to be able to pull from either side without circling 'round.

I ordered the book last night.  Very much looking forward to the read!

;D

Ranger Dave

• Salmon
Look at the photo taken from the bow....you will see them mounted forward of the seat, facing forward.  Why two?  Why not?  LOL...no seriously I just wanted to be able to pull from either side without circling 'round.

I ordered the book last night.  Very much looking forward to the read!

;D

Have you had them mounted and actively used them for awhile? I was thinking about the stress factor on the yak due to the weight of a crab pot with and without crabs. A rod holder receives a burst of stress when trolling and its "fish on" until you remove the rod and fight it. Despite really liking the idea of mounting one, probably two, I can't help but imagine all the weight multiplied by the little bit of reach/leverage and tugging on a 100' rope all tweaking the mounting point.

As for ordering the book, I really think you'll like it, but have to tell you right up front, Amazon is evil  >:D I can't go on their site and not buy something and usually way more than I started looking at. They lure you in having a great price on your $10 book...but wait!! If you spend at least $25, your shipping is free!! They get me every time because I hate paying shipping.  :D

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
They get me every time because I hate paying shipping. 

Dude, my wife spends so much there, we get 2 day shipping free with no minimum purchase.

Ranger Dave

• Salmon

Dude, my wife spends so much there, we get 2 day shipping free with no minimum purchase.

Not trying to compete with Mrs Craig, :glasses12: I've thought about dropping the $79 a year for the Amazon Prime Memebrship myself, so I can get the two day free shipping too. Then, to spice it up, now Amazon includes unlimited free movies and TV shows on your computer with your membership. That would be like having free (almost) Blockbuster or Netflix. I'll probably bite, but not unil I finish getting my first kayak tricked out.  8) In the words of the Outlaw Josey Wales, "A man's gotta know his limitations"

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008

Not trying to compete with Mrs Craig, :glasses12: I've thought about dropping the $79 a year for the Amazon Prime Memebrship myself, so I can get the two day free shipping too. Then, to spice it up, now Amazon includes unlimited free movies and TV shows on your computer with your membership. That would be like having free (almost) Blockbuster or Netflix. I'll probably bite, but not unil I finish getting my first kayak tricked out.  8) In the words of the Outlaw Josey Wales, "A man's gotta know his limitations"

Just order diapers or other baby stuff on a regular basis and you get it for free. You too can be in the mommies club!

mtom938

• Rockfish

I hear ALL this.   My biggest thing with Amazon is I always forget somewthing when I order and by then its too late to ammend and I wind up getting stuck for dual shipping.  May do the Prime someday also.

Oh and as far as stress in the davit area is concerned, I used a UHMW backing shim in both locations to make sure.  My only regret is I didn't use the Scotty flush mounts as I have raked my knuckles a few times on thouse mounts while fishing.

And....um......"A man's got to know his limitations".......Inspector Harry Callahan SFPD, MAGNUM FORCE.

Ranger Dave

• Salmon

Just order diapers or other baby stuff on a regular basis and you get it for free. You too can be in the mommies club!

Hmmmm, let me think about that one Craig...Okay, I'm done. I'd rather pay 12 times the club fee than have to deal with crumb snatchers or diapers again.  :binkybaby:
Maybe that's why it was so easy to drop that much on my first Kayak and join up with all you cool folks on the NWKA Forum and hopefully someday, on the water.  ;D

jstonick

We joined prime because all of my and my wife's families are on the East coast. We save more than the membership fee in shipping during Christmas. I also end up buying tools, electronics, books etc from Amazon and the faster shipping makes me feel better. The video service is another nice perk.