Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:28:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Fish Finders (One More Time)  (Read 5182 times)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
New kayak = new fish finder.  If you're me and you sell a kayak AND the fish finder.  Duh.

The new Lowrance finders, the HOOK2 series, have a different mounting system and no one making aftermarket mounts have caught up with the changes.  Rats!  I've only owned Lowrance products, so I'm asking for recommendations for other brands.

What I'd like is:

- a 5 inch screen
- GPS/Chartplotting
- CHIRP
- down scanning

And, of course, a way to use RAM mounting hardware.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

ballardbrad

• Salmon
  • Kayak Fishing Washington
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Tinker,

I work for RAM.  We just came out with attachments for the new Hook2 series.  Any Lowrance 5" and under will get the newer attachment.  7" and up will use the same mounts.  Here's a blog piece we did recently https://www.rammount.com/blog/2017/12/mount-of-the-month-lowrance-hook2-series-mounting-kits/

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Thank you for pointing that out.  It looks like they'll be released close to the same time as the HOOK2 finders.

That's a really big and clunky mount (compared to the current Lowarnce mounts) and it's not RAM's fault.  You can only work with what Lowrance makes.

I don't get why Lowrance made that change after all these years.

ballardbrad

• Salmon
It was a cost issue. I believe they wanted to get their smaller finders down in price.  The larger units will still have the same mounts.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Thanks, again.  Can't see how that makes the least bit of sense, but at least I understand the decision path.

Chromer

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Dec 2016
Not trying to hijack the thread but I noticed the hook 2 series as well.  Is there a preference between the 1 inch or 1.5 inch adapter.  Thanks

ballardbrad

• Salmon
Not trying to hijack the thread but I noticed the hook 2 series as well.  Is there a preference between the 1 inch or 1.5 inch adapter.  Thanks

The 1" RAM ball is ample for a 4" and 5" Lowrance.  Stepping up to a 7" screen you're better off with a 1.5" RAM Ball.  The the larger the RAM ball size, the more weight it can hold. Also the rubberized coating on the ball absorbs vibration - which isn't that big of an issue on a kayak.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I don't get why Lowrance hasn't figured out that kayakers are using fish finders, and just put a dam 1/4-20 threaded insert on the bottom like every camera on the planet, GoPro, and Raymarine fish finders so users can screw on a 1" RAM ball and go to town on their own mounting system to the kayak.  :dontknow:

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I don't get why Lowrance hasn't figured out that kayakers are using fish finders, and just put a dam 1/4-20 threaded insert on the bottom like every camera on the planet, GoPro, and Raymarine fish finders so users can screw on a 1" RAM ball and go to town on their own mounting system to the kayak.  :dontknow:

Agreed, the Raymarine units come out of the box with the 1" Ram Ball (or licensed version) which makes it super easy. The could still easily add the "stronger" type mount as well in the box, the threaded insert wouldn't stop that.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
ballardbrad, I appreciate the insight and information on the new Lowrance mounts.  Thank you.

I wish Lowrance had retained the old-style mounts all the way down to the 5-inch models, but wishes and horses...

INSAYN and Matt M, are there two votes for Raymarine as a possible alternative to a Lowrance, or just two votes for how a Raymarine mounts?

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin

Matt M

• Sturgeon

Matt M, are there two votes for Raymarine as a possible alternative to a Lowrance, or just two votes for how a Raymarine mounts?

Well I run a dragonfly unit and definitely like it. There's a few things I liked better about my lowrance Elite 4x, (Voltage on the screen and a clock/time) but overall I am really happy with it. I think I paid $270ish for the Dragonfly 4 pro with Navionics+ chip. The ramball mount out of the box saved me a few bucks, but not enough to make a decision over.
-Matt

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
I have a D-5P.  As well as the above shortcomings the thing that irks me the most is the fact that the typeface for depth soundings does not enlarge with the zoom feature. I have to shimmy forward to see the numbers on contours. My eyesight is pretty good, but 8 or 9 point font that sits beyond my toes on a screen with dried salt splashes is not great. Zoom should zoom the whole screen, not just the view of the contours.

I ditched the 1“ ball when new and went straight for a 1.5". Maybe it's an unnecessary move, especially if you remove and stow your FF before launching and landing in the surf zone, but the extra torque you can apply to the 1.5" is good piece of mind for the investment.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I have to wear readers to make out 8 or 9 point font a foot from my nose, so that's good to know.  Thanks.

I agree about a 1.5 inch ball and especially the longer arm available for it.

Is anyone using Humminbirds or Garmins?  I know nothing about them these days.

Matt M

• Sturgeon
Yeah the time thing is annoying, but overall not a major area of issue considering I have my watch on me at all times. The voltage readout is especially helpful in knowing if my battery is going to die soon.
-Matt

anything