Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:49:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Can We Talk About Kayak Carts?  (Read 4356 times)

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
The 3/4" aluminum solid or tube is much stronger/rigid than the 1/2" of same material, yet minimal additional weight.  You (at least I) can bend shoulder width length of 1/2" steel or aluminum by hand.  It's nearly impossible for me to do the same with 3/4".  That and I recommend using and aluminum axle for corrosion resistance and the 1/2" aluminum isn't even close to the strength of 3/4" aluminum rod/tube.

Oh, so now you're threatening to kick sand in my face on the beaches, Superman?  Thanks for this.  Lower - or no - deflection is better, for sure.

I don't disagree, but how many years has it been since I started talking about a trailer?
I recall someone on here just built a custom one from scratch, give him a shout I’m SURE he’ll help you modify one in good shape or just build ya a custom one.  >:D

I asked you if you weld aluminum, Mr. Jojo, and if I remember correctly, you told me something like, "Piss off!"  Or the equivalent.  It's a tiny, little, weakling 4 cylinder motor in the Transit, Mojo - so weak that even I think about kicking sand in its face - I need the lightest possible trailer when I use that vehicle, otherwise you and I'd be talking because you do good work.  I'm so sorry.  It's not you, it's my car.    ::)
You know if it’s only for kayaks I can build you one out of angle iron and it wouldn’t be over 300 lbs or so total, hell Corey’s trailer he or I can lift one back corner off the ground solo. There not that heavy at all till you start adding a bunch of stuff. I’ll gladly help you and remember I pull mine with a 4cyl Subaru and I can build one half the weight of mine.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
You know if it’s only for kayaks I can build you one out of angle iron and it wouldn’t be over 300 lbs or so total, hell Corey’s trailer he or I can lift one back corner off the ground solo. There not that heavy at all till you start adding a bunch of stuff. I’ll gladly help you and remember I pull mine with a 4cyl Subaru and I can build one half the weight of mine.

Mojo, your Subaru - any Subaru - is like a Formula 1 race car compared to a Ford Transit, I will, however, keep this in mind.  Thank you!
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014

Mojo, your Subaru - any Subaru - is like a Formula 1 race car compared to a Ford Transit, I will, however, keep this in mind.  Thank you!
I can’t seam to dig it up due to a really not trying hard problem, but if you find the one I cleaned up for BDrew last year or the year before it was light enough I rolled it over on its side by my self, I’m guessing 150-200 lbs total.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I've been reading about towing this little thing...I think the transit could take this!

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Oh, I'm sure it could, but could I stand being seen towing it around?  A guy's got to have standards!  I think I'd do a Malone before I did a Yakima - the Malones sit lower to the ground - but that's just me.

I wonder how those skinny tires behave when they run over a crack that runs parallel to the road (not across it), or when they're towed over onto the shoulder.  You'd think they'd be pretty squirmy.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Get a truck and skip the tiny trailer.  ;D

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Get a truck and skip the tiny trailer.  ;D

Got me one of those, but the Transit transports a dog and gives me a place to sleep when camping.  It's just gutless.

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
Thursday at Sunset Bay, I was lucky enough to see both Malone and Yakima kayak trailers parked at the launch.  The Yakima trailer had a 13' Hobie Revo all ready to haul as pictured above.  The guy with the Malone trailer loaded his Outback by himself while I was talking to him.  Really a very easy solution for those that know how to drive a trailer!

I think the Malone and Yakima have the same loading height (for ease of pushing the kayak to the saddles/bars while the stern of the kayak is still attached to a cart).  The Malone trailer looked heavier compared to Yakima's, mostly due to the wheels/axels and square tubing.  The Yakima wheels looked like motorcycle/moped wheels, so they were pretty skinny.  Kind of perfect for light load of kayaks though!  Malone trailer wheels were probably on par with Harbor Freight utility trailer.

Your Transit has the carrying towing capacity for either of these trailers.  I was considering getting one of these for my Prius (now THAT has zero towing capacity!).  It's just borderline impossible for me to solo load a 13' revo on the car top of my Prius.

Get one: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailers/Malone/MPG461GS.html?feed=npn&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpcLZBRCnARIsAMPBgF0DVL0cm4mC_qpHte1rizjmX1sgsruzgxgn2W_Hba6YLxeqC02LfAIaAqQTEALw_wcB

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Really a very easy solution for those that know how to drive a trailer!

BB, unless you get a trailer with a motor, I'll agree, they are tough to drive :happy6:

Sorry, needed a break and it was too low to pass up.  I do appreciate you comments.

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
Really a very easy solution for those that know how to drive a trailer!

BB, unless you get a trailer with a motor, I'll agree, they are tough to drive :happy6:

Sorry, needed a break and it was too low to pass up.  I do appreciate you comments.
hey if the Prius was the tow vehicle, the trailer WOULD need it's own motor. 
And for that matter, I don't have any problem driving a vehicle while towing a trailer going forward, it's just the reversing and any turn-around moves that give me grief.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Thursday at Sunset Bay, I was lucky enough to see both Malone and Yakima kayak trailers parked at the launch. 

Yep, I saw them both in the lot and thought about borrowing that Revo to go looking for you folks - for about 0.5 nanoseconds.

The bottom line for me is: Galvanized Steel Malone MicroSport with J-bars: $1,500 (includes spare tire).  Aluminum Yakima Rack-and-Roll with naked crossbars: $2,500 (with optional spare tire).  Ten Benjamins buys a lot of Highland Park (in case I tweak my back, too).

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
Tinker, I've got one of these for my Slayer Propel13, just had to add 3 inch PVC to it to more easily fit the tunnel hull, but so far so good. There is a kayak store in Jersey that has developed and sells a conversion that utilizes baloon tires.

Thanks!  I've been keeping an eye on the C-Tug Mullet-Miller conversion but just can't seem to pull the trigger - mostly because I'm uncertain about the C-Tug itself.  Lots of folks using them like it, some don't seem to care for it at all.  How's it working for you?

I like it a lot, with the PVC attached to the bunks if I get it even a little lined up the cart will fall into place in the tunnels, I currently have the standard tires, but will be ordering the SandTraks soon.
"If your hands ain't bleeding, you ain't fishing hard enough!"

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Tinker, I've got one of these for my Slayer Propel13, just had to add 3 inch PVC to it to more easily fit the tunnel hull, but so far so good. There is a kayak store in Jersey that has developed and sells a conversion that utilizes baloon tires.

Thanks!  I've been keeping an eye on the C-Tug Mullet-Miller conversion but just can't seem to pull the trigger - mostly because I'm uncertain about the C-Tug itself.  Lots of folks using them like it, some don't seem to care for it at all.  How's it working for you?

I like it a lot, with the PVC attached to the bunks if I get it even a little lined up the cart will fall into place in the tunnels, I currently have the standard tires, but will be ordering the SandTraks soon.

Thank you.  If I can find a C-Tug in a retail store the next time I head inland, I'll look at it more closely.

anything