Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:17:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: First self rescue  (Read 1789 times)

Rockbottom

• Perch
  • Date Registered: May 2018
Well...had to do my first involuntary self rescue this morning.  So stupid!  The water was a little choppy but I've spent quite a bit of time on this water fishing for chum lately.  Got a little complacent....I was reaching around to get my thermos for some soup, and next thing I know...over the side I go.  A swell hit me just right.  Luckily I knew not to hang on and flip the kayak too.  Got back aboard and was more embarrassed than anything else.  Learned a few things though.....
1.  Make sure to immediately check to see if I have all my gear.  I lucked out and didn't lose anything, but I didn't even think about it until I was looking later on to change my fly and realized my fly box was wedged under the seat.  I will now use more lanyards!
2.  Make sure ALL the zippers of my drysuit are securely tight.  I realized my "relief" zipper wasn't all the way zipped much to my chagrin.  Couldn't figure out why my rear end was all wet....was worried I had wet myself in all the excitement...but geez...I've been in more stressful situations.  Found out back at the truck as I was undressing that the zipper wasn't tight.  Sort of oddly happy about that!
3.  Need a better place for my knife...somehow got twisted around and would have been difficult to remove if I needed it quickly and couldn't see it.
4.  Lastly...gotta use a waterproof cover for my phone.  We'll see how long my phone is out of commission...salt water has to be a big no no for electronics.

Didn't get a chum but got a couple SRC working the shoreline on my way back to the boat ramp.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
glad you got back on the boat without issue and avoided a 'yard sale', I'm curious what kayak you are riding?   cheers, roger
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
It's too easy to go over reaching back behind you.  Sitting sidesaddle works better - and one of these days I need to learn how to do that.   ;D
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Rockbottom

• Perch
  • Date Registered: May 2018
I've seen guys sitting side saddle in some of the youtube videos....might have to try that...with an empty kayak.
I own a Hobie Compass.  It seems pretty stable.  I was able to stand on it and fish for a little while when the water was calm.  I just wasn't paying enough attention to the water.  Gotta respect those swells.  I've come to learn the short, choppy ones are brutal if going parallel with them.
Had to get a new phone today...sucks!  I wonder if a cheap prepaid phone for only on the water makes sense??

DWB123

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
I've seen guys sitting side saddle in some of the youtube videos....might have to try that...with an empty kayak.
I own a Hobie Compass.  It seems pretty stable.  I was able to stand on it and fish for a little while when the water was calm.  I just wasn't paying enough attention to the water.  Gotta respect those swells.  I've come to learn the short, choppy ones are brutal if going parallel with them.
Had to get a new phone today...sucks!  I wonder if a cheap prepaid phone for only on the water makes sense??

Lifeproof

Jrob

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
I have killed my phone too!
But never again.  here is my $25 waterproof case on amazon that works like a dream, and I can even use the touch screen- until it or my hands gets totally wet.
Temdan SUPREME Series Waterproof Case
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074P11W3B/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
I did the same thing in the Strait in August, reaching around the seat to put a rod in the rod holder of my Hobie Adventure—-fell off the starboard side, boat did not flip but I had to chase it a bit on account of strong current. Took about 10 minutes to calm down and get my breath back after clambering aboard. Grateful for the Kokatat  dry suit, water temp about 50.
Glad your story had happy outcome!
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

anything