Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:31:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Kayak Fishing guide Portland December 7  (Read 1134 times)

ZenBJR

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
I'm going to be in portland December 7 Friday, looking for a guide who can outfit two of us to go out on the ocean (preferred) or river (backup if weather is rough).

We would be crossing into Canada on Dec. 8th, so for the most part we'd just keep enough to eat dinner and nothing more unless you're willing to hold on to the fish until our return trip.

I'm an experienced NorCal kayak fisher. She knows how to kayak, knows how to fish, but hasn't done both together.

Any recommendations? Feel free to PM me or e-mail me at rjbarker@gmail.com or just reply here. Thanks!

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I would call Michael Rischer:
http://www.kayakfishingoregon.com/instruction--guide-services.html

I think he may be the only one who was/is equipped for that sort of thing in the Portland area, I am not sure if he's still guiding, but the website is still active and he's a super nice dude. If you're not looking for a guide Next adventure Paddle shop rents Kayaks and Drysuits, you could do that then try and get a knowledgeable fisherman to "Guide" for you. There's plenty around that would be good at that if they were so inclined.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

ZenBJR

• Plankton
Appreciate that, he already got back to me to tell me that he won't be guiding until 2019 unfortunately.

Matt M

• Sturgeon
Brad Hole up in Washington may be a good option if you're willing to take a bit of a drive (which is sounds like you are given the ocean fishing.)

https://kayakfishingwashington.com/
-Matt

ZenBJR

• Plankton
Definitely willing to drive, I actually am friends on FB with Brad Hole just didn't know he was a guide. I'll message him! Thanks

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
If the ocean is calm there will be several people hitting the ocean.  Are you sold on a guide?  If you send an invite i am sure others would join.  I came to NWKA from NCKA and the culture is about the same, just a lot less posts.

There are places along the coast where you can rent kayaks as well.  The fishing in Oregon is a little limited as most of the rivers shut down for salmon, unless you want S. Oregon.  Ocean is usually too large or too windy to fish this time of year.  I believe it is too cold for good bass fishing (i dont know as i dont fish for bass).  I believe sturgeon fishing would be a good option in downtown portland.

If sturgeon does interest you, i do know someone who could show you the ropes and rent you kayaks.  Send me a PM if you are interested. 

2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

ZenBJR

• Plankton
I like sturgeon fishing but unless it's different than how we do it here in the delta I'm unsure if it'll get boring for my friend ha. IME it's just anchoring up and waiting.

I am sure there's a bunch of friendly guys here who would help out - and appreciate that offer, but would prefer a guide for no other reason than to keep the logistics simple for me since it's just a quick pass through and I don't want to spend a lot of time gathering gear and prepping and researching etc.

Matt M

• Sturgeon
IME it's just anchoring up and waiting.

If the Fishery Zach is thinking of is what I am thinking of it's a bit (or a ton) more action than you guys are used to seeing in the Delta, but regardless it's similar. You're drowning bait and waiting (sometimes quite some time, sometimes not) for a bite.

I went out this past Saturday with a newbie fisherman and he landed 5 fish in about 4 hours, the fishing should only get better as the rains come and water cools down. Just something to keep in mind if you're not able to hook up with Brad or someone else. Keep in mind though no retention on sturgeon at this point in time.
-Matt

anything