Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:47:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Final check on gear for the sturgeon social  (Read 3224 times)

Lutefisk

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Thinking of joining and curious if my heavy salmon stick (uglystik elite 12-25lb rated) w/ Okuma Coldwater 303 would be under matched?   I was at fishermans in tigard yesterday hoping to pick up one of the Daiwa fiberglass rods that Robert had posted on the FB page, but they were out.

I watched a guy break his salmon rod fighting a big fish last year. He left the water for his truck, came back with another salmon rod and broke the second rod on another fish. My opinion is to gear up appropriately for these fish. These sturgeon get consistent angling pressure while they are taking a winter break in that section of the Willamette and I dont see a reason to play them out with light tackle just for fun.

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Thinking of joining and curious if my heavy salmon stick (uglystik elite 12-25lb rated) w/ Okuma Coldwater 303 would be under matched?   I was at fishermans in tigard yesterday hoping to pick up one of the Daiwa fiberglass rods that Robert had posted on the FB page, but they were out.

I watched a guy break his salmon rod fighting a big fish last year. He left the water for his truck, came back with another salmon rod and broke the second rod on another fish. My opinion is to gear up appropriately for these fish. These sturgeon get consistent angling pressure while they are taking a winter break in that section of the Willamette and I dont see a reason to play them out with light tackle just for fun.

It's true, sturgeon can break salmon rods easily. A key point though is to never high stick the rod.  I see it far too often and while on a kayak it can be easy to do.

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

hanapaa808

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
When's the sturgeon social!?

Dec 15th - Swan island basin area. Should be ~30-50 kayakers depending on weather.

Thanks!
HANAPAA!!!

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Ok, I am planning to be there. It would be nice to see or meet more of you. The name, social to me indicates there is a lunch involved.? If so, what can I bring?
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

Cosmo

• Salmon
  • Integrity-It's What You Do When No One's Looking
  • DADventurerNW
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
Over the years, I have fought big sturgeon on my Berkley IM 8 15-50lb rated salmon rod and an Abu Garcia 6501 reel with 50lb braid and it's a lot of fun, in open water. 

However, when you are in tight quarters, and need to be able to steer the fish, anything lighter than this will be a challenge.  If we get rain, and the water is high and brown, the fish will be out in the open.  However, if the water is low and green, the fish will be stacked up under the ships and dry docks like they were over Thanksgiving weekend.

I edited down some video last night of a December Sturgeon trip last year after a big rain.  We fished two days back to back, and this was from day 2, where all of the fish were keeper size or larger.  Fish were everywhere on the fish finder, but we paddled around until we found fish on the bottom.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 08:57:28 AM by Cosmo »
Cosmo
2 Hobie Mirage Outbacks 2014

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Ok, I am planning to be there. It would be nice to see or meet more of you. The name, social to me indicates there is a lunch involved.? If so, what can I bring?

No formal food relating to the social although I am sure any food brought would be eaten if shared  ;D

The idea is that everyone who is able brings a 22oz beer of their choice and that would act as a prize to the winner whom catches the most fish on the day, this is of course voluntary and no one will turn you away or make you feel bad if you don't bring anything.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
PSA to the out-of-towners coming in for this shindig...

Try not to leave anything of value in your vehicles and certainly don't leave anything of value VISIBLE in your vehicle ANYWHERE in Portland. Even if you are just going to be gone for a minute or two.

Car break-ins are fucking RAMPANT in this city. I know of at least one homie that got hit at last night's Thirsty Thursday.

Thieves know even if they get caught they won't do time for a property crime, even if it is a felony conviction, making them extremely bold. Protect yo shit!

(End of PSA)

Have fun fishing everybody!

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Wilfite

• Rockfish
  • Fish'n's good, Catch'n's better.
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
Some time back my wife had her car broken into twice in one night on Tomahawk Island.  The first guy took the two boxes out of the back seat (full of kitchen spices, appliances and cookbooks.  He didn't check the trunk which was full of computer bits.  Bet he was pissed :-) and she interrupted the second tweaker trying (and failing) to hot wire the car. 
-Tony

Wilderness Systems Thresher 15.5 (Yellow)
Old Town Predator MK, (Lime Green Camo)

anything