Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:14:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 07:40:17 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Hatchery fish question...  (Read 4454 times)

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Gleaning the ODFW regs for Columbia river fall Chinook, I ran across this line that I've never noticed before.

Hatchery fish are considered any Chinook with a healed adipose or ventral fin clip.

With that, has anyone that regularly lands fall Chinook ever seen and kept a ventral fin clipped fish that still has its adipose fin in tact?   I've only ever seen and heard folks say "it's got the adipose, gotta let it go" (or something along those lines.  Never anything about the ventral fin. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

MurseStrong

• Lingcod
  • 2009 OK T11 2016 Hobie Revo 13 2018 Hobie Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
This is a very good question. From what I've read the LV fin clipped chinook are a hatchery Rogue River stock returning to Young's Bay. Here's a pic of a left ventral AND an adipose clip that's easily distinguishable: http://media.oregonlive.com/bill_monroe_impact/photo/buzz-ramsey-dc457b6d4ced54a1.jpg

The states of Oregon and Washington discussed the following recreational fishery and took the following action:
Columbia River Fall Chinook Recreational Fisheries Effective August 1 through December 31, 2016 in the mainstem Columbia River from Buoy 10 upstream to Bonneville Dam, and when Chinook mark-selective regulations are in place: a hatchery Chinook is defined as having a clipped adipose fin or a clipped left ventral fin. Either clip must have a healed scar at the location of the clipped fin."

As stated by Bill Monroe of the Oregonian, "(Note! Only fin-clipped chinook can be kept on Sundays and Mondays this year west of Tongue Point. Both the left-ventral and adipose fin-clips count.)"

My interpretation is that it's permitted to keep a hatchery Chinook that is distinguished by either a left-ventral fin clip OR an adipose fin flip. 
If You Know The Answer, Ask Bigger Questions

"You are killing me, fish, the old man thought. But you have a right to. Never have I seen a greater, or more beautiful, or a calmer or more noble thing than you, brother."
-The Old Man and the Sea

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
This is a very good question. From what I've read the LV fin clipped chinook are a hatchery Rogue River stock returning to Young's Bay. Here's a pic of a left ventral AND an adipose clip that's easily distinguishable: http://media.oregonlive.com/bill_monroe_impact/photo/buzz-ramsey-dc457b6d4ced54a1.jpg

The states of Oregon and Washington discussed the following recreational fishery and took the following action:
Columbia River Fall Chinook Recreational Fisheries Effective August 1 through December 31, 2016 in the mainstem Columbia River from Buoy 10 upstream to Bonneville Dam, and when Chinook mark-selective regulations are in place: a hatchery Chinook is defined as having a clipped adipose fin or a clipped left ventral fin. Either clip must have a healed scar at the location of the clipped fin."

As stated by Bill Monroe of the Oregonian, "(Note! Only fin-clipped chinook can be kept on Sundays and Mondays this year west of Tongue Point. Both the left-ventral and adipose fin-clips count.)"

My interpretation is that it's permitted to keep a hatchery Chinook that is distinguished by either a left-ventral fin clip OR an adipose fin flip.

this is correct.
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I've caught ventral fin clipped fish - they are gooooood!!   ;D 
I've caught ventral clipped fish with and without an adipose clip.  I believe the ones with both clips are tagged, but I could be wrong.
Hugh is right, they are a fish bound for Young's Bay.  These fish were originally established using eggs from the Rogue River, so they've got good genes.  Since they were established (for the benefit of the gill netters primarily) they have had enough numbers to sustain a broodstock program in most years.  Some years however, they aren't sure of whether or not they'll meet escapement goals in order to sustain the run.  In these years, the Compact says that only adipose clipped fish can be retained, and intentionally leave out the ventral fin distinction from hatchery fish. Last year this was the case.  It tends to have the affect of pissing people off since they have to let a hatchery fish go back to the river that they know will most likely end up in the net of a commercial fisherman.

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Thanks. 

The regs are confusing enough to read as it is and the newer eRegs are the best version of regs they've had in all the years I've fished Oregon.  Now that damn near everyone has the internet (let alone smart phones), there shouldn't be any reason that the eRegs couldn't be updated daily, or as reg change. Instead of having an addendum to have to keep looking for to see what has changed recently for specific areas. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Thanks. 

The regs are confusing enough to read as it is and the newer eRegs are the best version of regs they've had in all the years I've fished Oregon.  Now that damn near everyone has the internet (let alone smart phones), there shouldn't be any reason that the eRegs couldn't be updated daily, or as reg change. Instead of having an addendum to have to keep looking for to see what has changed recently for specific areas.

You can sign up for e-mailed updates at a link on the bottom of this page:

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/Resources/fishing/reg_changes/index.asp

I have used the service for the last 2 seasons and it works.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
I have the same subscription setup and that is fine......when I am in the market for info at the time of the email. If not, I tend to disregard it like all other email I get daily.

Again, in the regs themselves they refer to needing you to go to www.odfw.blah blah to see the changes. If a guy doesn't have access to the interwebs then that new info is useless to him.

So, with that if they have the eRegs online, then they should easily be able to just update that instead of another page. This keeps all of the info in one place.  Oh, and they can save some money and just quit printing the regs out and giving them away free, because when they make addendums through the year, it renders it fairly useless by itself.

Rant over.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Uh INSAYN, if one lives more than 100 miles from where the Willamette and the Columbia come together, we may not have fancy cell phones or wide-spread data access, and we poor rural mice might prefer a printed copy of the regulations when we're up a river where the regulations change every 100 feet and there is no cell service.

Other than that, nice rant! 
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
Uh INSAYN, if one lives more than 100 miles from where the Willamette and the Columbia come together, we may not have fancy cell phones or wide-spread data access, and we poor rural mice might prefer a printed copy of the regulations when we're up a river where the regulations change every 100 feet and there is no cell service.

It would be nice to have a consolidated document to download to your phone and be able to check without signal. How hard is it for them to publish a pdf ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I believe I can publish to PDF from Microsoft Word; let me see...  Why yes, I can go from MS Word to PDF with two mouse clicks!

So, not the least bit hard.

;D

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon

And what would the printed copy do for you if you have the regs in hand sitting at the bank of the river/lake and you forgot to look "online" if there was an update for you area?  Nothing more than if I don't have cell service either.  So, we both have to go "online" at some point anyways to see what is the current regs, rendering the printed copy useless still.

If you happen to fish in an area that never changes, and you don't have access to the internet, you probably don't even care about the regs in the first place as you would be a hermit living under a rock.   ;)

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
In a nutshell, they don't update the paper copy and redistribute throughout the year for folks without internet access.

It is only updated online. So, again why bother with a paper copy in the first place?  As you figured out yourself, if you have a smartphone, tablet or laptop, that you can just download the regs from "online" and have the regs available "offline" provided your device will power up. 

Now, think how awesome it would be to get ready to go on a multi-day trip away from access to"online" info and be able to just download or refresh your PDF of the eRegs in one shot with EVERYTHING that is current EVERYWHERE in the state of Oregon at the point of download. 

If for some reason they update the regs while you are gone, that is just the shits of timing and paper copy won't fix that problem. 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 04:07:23 PM by INSAYN »

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
We who live under rocks prefer "recluse" to the H-word.  Groupist!

There are fewer changes down here than up there, but you make a good argument.

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
It's so cute seeing people from Oregon complain about the complexity of their fishing regulations.
2012 ORC 5th Place

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
It's so cute seeing people from Oregon complain about the complexity of their fishing regulations.
So true!

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

anything