Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:22:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: B10 and other Columbia Zone regulations: If you are new to B10, please read  (Read 2673 times)

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Disclaimer: I do this with the intent of keeping people from getting into trouble and not as a harsh criticism.

Every year, I see more and more people fishing B10 from a kayak, and every year that I can recall, I see a few people posting pics in various places of fish they are not allowed to keep, ie. illegal. So, here comes the Fun-Police :police: making sure you do not get a citation.  Please read this if you are new and / or unfamiliar with the Lower Columbia River. It applies to both states: http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/fishing/reg_changes/columbia.asp

It is a SIMPLE breakdown of what you can and can not keep and where.  You can also subscribe to updates so you will know when a change has occurred-- which is your responsibility. In short, no jacks or wild coho can be retained in the B10 area. A jack is less than 24 inches for a Chinook. I wouldn't even bother removing a coho from the water if I thought it were close to a jack (16 inches or less). Why waste a spot on your tag when bigger fish are plentiful? If you do not subscribe to this philosophy and don't mind small legal salmon, bring a measuring device that can (preferably) be used to get an estimate of the fish before taking it out of the water. This way if it is obviously not legal, it can be released with less harm being done. Get them off quick and drop back down and catch a big one!

In short:

2 fish limit -- one can be a Chinook and the other can be a HATCHERY coho. Or, they can be both HATCHERY coho. No Steelhead 2017 August 1-31.

Also, do not announce over your radio- so all within 2-5 miles can hear- when you are about to commit a game violation. I witnessed (heard) it twice last year and it is embarrassing for the rest of us.  Personally, as a kayak fisherman I want less scrutiny, not more.

Another non-game violation, although a hard one to investigate but a very expensive civil penalty if caught, is swearing on the VHF radios. It is an FCC violation. It doesn't bother me much, but many of the boats are full of families with children.

Thanks,
Craig

« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 06:36:33 PM by craig »

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I am not sure I would call the Oregon or Washington regulations "SIMPLE" by any means considering the regs can change on a moments notice, but regardless it's a good reminder to always check what you can keep before heading out. I was about 100 yards away from being able to keep a dandy nate' last year and it would've been legal in that area just 8 hours before I caught it.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

Deluxeharley

• Lingcod
  • "Live like Ron"
  • Date Registered: Jun 2011
Thanks Craig for this information. However since my catching % is currently ZERO :( I will need to review them again when I go out. thanks again for this info. I hope to change my catching ratio this year. :) :) :) :)
My New Motto is.... "Live like Ron"

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
Thanks for the quick breakdown Craig.  I plan on making my first trip to the B10 area this season but I'm waiting till my fishing buddies who've been there before are free.  I won't go there alone.
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
On a related note, I found this pretty helpful instructional video on youtube about identifying salmon species.

Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Personally, as a kayak fisherman I want less scrutiny, not more.

+1

djsalis

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
if anyone is willing to take a newbie out for there first B-10 trip give me a shout, have all the gear
12' Hobie pro angler
13' Hobie Revolution
teach a kid to fish today

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Remember barbless hooks are also part of the regulations, so pinch the hook barb down where that law applies.