Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:38:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: OC Prowler 13 T  (Read 3481 times)

bluewrx02

• Salmon
  • Facebook
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Ok so I tested the Prowler T13 on Hagg lake today.  This thing glides on the water. I had my buddy on my Outback with the fish finder.  I was doing about 5mph with the Hobie paddle, I bet if I got a better paddle I could get it up to 6 or 7.  It is also really stable!  A boat passed by and created a wake, I barely noticed when it passed.  Also there is soooooo much storage on and in it that this would be a awesome river camping kayak.  Another feature I like is all the cords along the side of the yak.  I used them like my anchor trolley on my Outback to tether everything I didn’t want to lose. 

Now with all the good there is some bad. One thing I would like is if the paddle bungee started lower on the kayak so the paddle would sit more on the side instead of on top. Another is the side carry handles; it would be nice to get molded in ones. I kept hitting them while paddling. Lastly is the seat, it keeps moving around! I wish it would stay put. Maybe on a future model they can use the wedges the Hobie has.

Overall I enjoyed my time spent on Hagg. I paddled almost the entire “no-wake” zone.  I have to give credit to all of you guys that paddled during the ORC! My shoulders were burning after a few minutes. 

Yaks all loaded on my car

Snaped a pic of Scoggins creek

-John
2011 Oregon Rockfish Classic – 1st place
2013 Oregon Rockfish Classic - 1st place

2011 Hobie Outback     
2013 Hobie Revo 13     
2014 Hobie Adventure Island

Stumblefish

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Haha,sorta like cyclists, big legs and skinny arms you're saying.   

Btw no 19lb bass?   ;D

bluewrx02

• Salmon
  • Facebook
LOL. I fished a little. I wanted to really get the feel for the kayak, so I paddled all over. I think I got calluses on my hands now.

2011 Hobie Outback     
2013 Hobie Revo 13     

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
hey, John?Insayn hasn't told ya ya need to rotate your torso when you paddle instead of just using your arms?
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007

1) Now with all the good there is some bad. One thing I would like is if the paddle bungee started lower on the kayak so the paddle would sit more on the side instead of on top.

2) Another is the side carry handles; it would be nice to get molded in ones. I kept hitting them while paddling.  My shoulders were burning after a few minutes. 

3) Lastly is the seat, it keeps moving around! I wish it would stay put. Maybe on a future model they can use the wedges the Hobie has.

-John

Those 3 things come with experience.

1) Your lap makes a great place to store your paddle most of the time, even when anchored.  When storing your paddle, store it to your off side and you won't even notice it.

2) Like WR mentioned, it's all about paddling techniqe.  Think outrigger canoe rowing.  Put pressure against your foot pegs and use the slight rotation to push your yak. 

3) #3 is easy.  You just need to adjust your seat straps.  Start with the lower portion of the rear strap to put your butt in the right place.  Once everything is cinched up you shouldn't notice any slip.

And again, Congratulations!
-Spot-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Thanks for sharing your impressions!

I was doing about 5mph with the Hobie paddle, I bet if I got a better paddle I could get it up to 6 or 7.

5 mph is a fast clip.  No wonder your arms are tired.

Now with all the good there is some bad. One thing I would like is if the paddle bungee started lower on the kayak so the paddle would sit more on the side instead of on top.

There is a reason for that.  If you had a feathered paddle and you placed the paddle holder any lower, one of the blades will be more parallel to the water line and can catch a wave causing an unstable condition.

Another is the side carry handles; it would be nice to get molded in ones. I kept hitting them while paddling.

Sounds like your grip is too narrow (or you have short arms).  No wonder your arms are tired.

Lastly is the seat, it keeps moving around! I wish it would stay put. Maybe on a future model they can use the wedges the Hobie has.

You need to adjust the seat.  If done right, there should be very little play in the seat.  It should NOT move around.

-Allen

bluewrx02

• Salmon
  • Facebook
thanks for the pointers guys. Ill try it next time I go out!

2011 Hobie Outback     
2013 Hobie Revo 13     

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
That yak actually looks good under ya. 
I can help you get the seat set up correctly.  It's kinda funky at first, but once setup right, it won't move. 

Check out this online animated training that can explain a lot of good technique to get your paddling going in the right direction. Granted it is a guy in a SINK, but works with SOT's too.

http://www.kayakpaddling.net/

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

anything