Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:37:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jed
[Today at 01:45:57 PM]

[Today at 12:21:09 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 11:35:40 AM]

[Today at 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: First kayak and getting back into fishing (Snohomish, WA)  (Read 2665 times)

JasonM

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
I moved to western WA in 1998 and have fished a total of four times here since then. Before I moved here, I fished every chance I got back in Alabama, Georgia and Florida, often multiple times a week up until college and real life got in the way. After I moved here, I didn't really know anyone who fished and the regulations compared to Alabama were so complex that you needed two local guides and a lawyer to understand them. With work, wife and kids coming along, it just wasn't worth the trouble. I went out crabbing a few times with my father-in-law, which was great fun, but then he had some health issues and sold his boat. Once again, my time on the water was over.

To fast forward to a couple weeks ago, my wife wanted a lightweight sit-in kayak to paddle around local lakes and I bought her one. I decided I'd buy myself one also, but I wanted mine to be good for more than just paddling around. That started me down the path of actually being able to fish again and it's been all downhill from there. I successfully limited myself on budget and picked up a Third Coast Avalon 120 sit-on-top kayak, which is essentially the same as an Evoke Navigator 120 and a similar hull design to the old faithful Tarpon 120. I decided to go ahead and go for the 12-foot yak instead of the 10-foot model for a bit better tracking and a bit more speed. I understand that the hull design isn't stable enough for standing, and I'm entirely fine with that. I haven't really done anything to it yet. I haven't even had it in the water. I do have a Werner Skagit paddle and an Onyx kayak fishing vest on the way to me, along with a couple other bits.

We got some generic roof crossbars and J-hooks for our Honda Pilot so we can carry both yaks on it, but I can just barely put my Avalon 120 on it by myself when I'm not tired and the yak isn't wet. I'm not brave enough to try it at the end of a day of paddling/fishing when the yak is wet. That means that it takes both of us to put my yak on the roof rack. I don't have any roof rack at all for my 2017 Mazda CX-5 now and I'm trying to figure out a rack system that will let me load and unload it alone without spending more on the roof rack than I spend on the kayak. Any advice or deals on used stuff would be appreciated. :)

I'm intending to start out fishing only local, calm water like Lake Bosworth that we go to for family gatherings fairly frequently. My target species will be whatever I'm legally allowed to fish for, which I'm still trying to sort out. I wouldn't mind working up to smallmouths in Lake Washington or maybe even crabbing very close to land in calmer, sheltered water. I'm content just getting set up and practicing rolling over and getting back into the yak for now, before I accidentally do it with all the gear on board...  ::)

wreglmed

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
Know what you mean about the change in complexity of the regs. I came here from Alabama in 2007 and about have it sorted out now. I fish, crab and shrimp the saltwater almost entirely. Once you feel comfortable with your kayak and all the recommended safety gear (see other posts on this forum), the pink salmon run in July-August is a great way to ease your way into saltwater and tide navigation as the runs are close to shore. Let me know if you want to get out on the water. I've enjoyed linking up with NWKA folks for a salmon chase when work allows. 

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
You're close to Ravensfan and he might let you in on some really nice close in places to crab near you. I still owe him.

Ravensfan

• Lingcod
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
Welcome Jason! I haven't fished bosworth is quite a few years, but it used to be a good trout lake. A friend of mine does really well in Storm lake too. For crabbing near shore, I do well out of Kayak point and Camano State park. Pm me if you want to plan a trip locally.
Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JasonM

• Lingcod
Welcome Jason! I haven't fished bosworth is quite a few years, but it used to be a good trout lake. A friend of mine does really well in Storm lake too. For crabbing near shore, I do well out of Kayak point and Camano State park. Pm me if you want to plan a trip locally.
Kevin
Will do. I figured out a better way to get my kayak on and off the J-hooks on the roof rack of our Honda Pilot by myself tonight, so now I'm just waiting for the paddle, PFD and scupper to all get here on Friday. Then the learning begins.  ;D

JasonM

• Lingcod
I'm updating my intro post from several months ago with a picture, in case anyone sees me out on the water and recognizes me. My kayak is a Perception Pescador Pilot in blue with orange. To my knowledge, it's the only one like it in the world since Perception only offers the blue with yellow trim. I swapped out all of the yellow pieces for orange to get my favorite color combo.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 04:56:04 PM by JasonM »

Ravensfan

• Lingcod
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
That's a nice color combo! Hope to see you on the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anything