Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:44:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Chapter trailer build!  (Read 11804 times)

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
So Helium Head has our trailer and two of our boats for measurements. He's been working off an idea that I have been tweaking for quite some time. We would like some input as well as a line on any fabrication companies that would like to help a worthy cause and get a tax write off  ;)   We will also accept any help or donations to get this put together. I can build it myself if need be but I think it would be faster and easier with a professional and a full fab shop on board so if you know any shops that might want in on it post up or pm me. 

Pics coming two at a time.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 08:53:21 AM by Mojo Jojo »

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
Man, you're gonna have to wind tunnel that thing if you go with the enclosed closet design. Light trailer + high center of gravity + large sail area = someone else can haul it!

If you chop the fence off you can look at putting truck boxes on the sides so long as you keep them inside the outside edge of the wheels.

Sent from my RCT6213W87M using Tapatalk

Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
Top racks no higher then Helium Head's MBZ SUV rack. Boats I believe are 69 pounds. If we build it this way it will be skinned with light weight sheet metal or fiberglass sheets with the heavy parts as low as possible. We won't be toting it in November December when we get our high winds.

Shannon

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
Maybe consider a few on these around the wheels. Should be able to put 4 of them in place.

Dee Zee DZ95P Poly Plastic Tool Box https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0045TWI48/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_qA2KzbA2Q6Q6H
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I can see those hanging waders falling down and getting stuck making it tough to pull out the rack. I don't have a better idea, just can see it becoming problematic.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

poulton

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
Need water tank to rince equipment of after paddle etc

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
I can see those hanging waders falling down and getting stuck making it tough to pull out the rack. I don't have a better idea, just can see it becoming problematic.
Was thinking that as well, we're going to make custom heavy duty hangers (think deer or Elk hanger) so I'll have to design a catch on it to prevent that. The box would be 24 inches wide so in theory we could send one of the skinny guys in there, not it!

Shannon

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Dang!  Where's the Tiki Bar and Stripper pole?

HeliumHead has a great nack for rendering, but Mojo I think you are over engineering the concept.

Keep it simple so it is low cost and completely functional.

Look for used truck bed boxes that just need paint and keys for locker boxes.

The waders can always be hung out to dry wherever the trailer is stored. PFD's dry quick enough.

You've already heard my thoughts on plans via email. Could meet up for a beer and chat to discuss more.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Oh, and I'd recommend you hang waders by their feet, or draped in half over a bar.  No need for spendy hangers, just use padded work clamps over a rope or bar.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Helium Head

• Lingcod
Some updated pics, showing fishing pole storage in starboard lower tray and paddles in port lower tray.  I love the KISS approach (keep it simple stupid) but there is a lot to fit onto this trailer, so it may take several revisions to get the packaging right.
Hobie Revolution 13 olive
Hobie Revolution 13 yellow

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Helium, I have a few questions regarding your renderings of the kayak racks mounted off the side of the center locker/closet.

How are these bars/tubes attached to the center box?

What kind of framing is being used behind the closet wall?

Can you stress test your renderings? 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 11:09:53 PM by INSAYN »

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013

<...SNIP...>

Mojo, surely you're planning to clean the waders when you've finished an outing?  And you'll make sure they're dry before you store them between outings, won't you?  I'm not seeing any reason for the closet.

That big box up front seems excessive.  The renderings suggest it will block the tow vehicle's taillights and the driver's view from the mirrors.

I just think this design will create a number of issues you'll need to overcome.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Helium Head

• Lingcod
INSAYN, I am helping Mojo with the general arrangement of the trailer, just to see how it can be packaged, not the engineering.

Tinker, I agree, the box does look big.  Most camping trailers are 7-8' wide, here, other than the kayaks which don't hang past the wheels, I'm trying to keep everything inside the width of the trailer, 6'.
Hobie Revolution 13 olive
Hobie Revolution 13 yellow

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon

HeliumHead has a great nack for rendering, but Mojo I think you are over engineering the concept.

Keep it simple so it is low cost and completely functional.

Look for used truck bed boxes that just need paint and keys for locker boxes.

The waders can always be hung out to dry wherever the trailer is stored. PFD's dry quick enough.

You've already heard my thoughts on plans via email. Could meet up for a beer and chat to discuss more.
I know, we're putting out ideas and reeling in more, there's a real possibility that this thing is going to be stored outside on the coast so the boats we'll be tarped and no real way to hang gear long term to dry. Now if you want to toss ideas around over a body of salt water while fishing your talking my speed. Not a beer fan. Wiskeys quicker but I don't drive after two.  :spittake:

Shannon

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
INSAYN, I am helping Mojo with the general arrangement of the trailer, just to see how it can be packaged, not the engineering.

Tinker, I agree, the box does look big.  Most camping trailers are 7-8' wide, here, other than the kayaks which don't hang past the wheels, I'm trying to keep everything inside the width of the trailer, 6'.

I hear ya.

I'm just playing devils advocate and asking some questions that some may not consider upfront.  As much as I love a good trailer build, I cringe when I see something designed backwards with unnecessary features being made a priority over the actual minimum use needs/limits.  These needs/limits should to be determined first, designed several ways with reasonable engineering expectations evaluated, and then the unnecessary items added where possible. 

Obviously consideration for some unnecessary items can be included in the primary design phase, but not so much that it inhibits the proper engineering of the required needs/limits.

I guess to help give you suggestions, to design a visible layout based off what MoJo wants/needs, we need to see a list broken down a few ways:
-Absolutely must haves.
-Would like to have, but flexible if not incorporated.
-Limitations (ie, towing limits, loading limits, ground clearance, lock-ability, etc..)
-Long term expectations. 
-Other

anything