Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:10:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: near miss - yikes!  (Read 5428 times)

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Saw this on a friend's FB page today.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon

yaktastic

• A cowboy in a kayak? I never was normal.
  • Salmon
  • shut up and let me fish.
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
The Ocean one looks like the guy was a total jerk.the other one was wrong place wrong time.
4th place 2017 TBKD Rockfish.

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
In the ocean video, it's interesting that the people on the boat failed to hear repeated blasts by the kayaker's air horn.  Is this a common problem?  Can people on a fast-moving motorboat not hear air horns?

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Maybe it's just coming back in after a long weekend, but when you watch the first one, the title at the beginning says "I made this video..." and I have to wonder if that's true.  The message is a good one and many have had a boat come close with some actual hits, it just feels like this one might be a well prepared awareness tool produced by someone who who also looks for subscribers.  You can't even see the boat coming without the red arrow of an incredibly well aimed camera.  If you stood and used an air at that distance each time a boat was in the same range as that one (looks like 1/4 mile if you time the arrival), you'd have to be packing a lot of air!  Pretty easy to see how the second one could have happened when the jerk was racing in the creek.  The head camera catches the boat lose steering when the motor was shut down.  It's about the same as when a dirt bike comes screaming around a curve on a forest road.  Again, both good message regardless, just some question about the one made by by someone who promotes a kayak fishing site.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 07:20:47 AM by Trident 13 »

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
In the ocean video, it's interesting that the people on the boat failed to hear repeated blasts by the kayaker's air horn.  Is this a common problem?  Can people on a fast-moving motorboat not hear air horns?

The high pitch of air horns does not carry particularly well. I've noticed at Depoe Bay that you can barely hear them from one end of the hole to the other. If there is a lot of traffic running over the bridge and the surf is slapping the rocks the signal is easily drowned out. The small horn on a can of air disperses the sound in a wide band and is ineffective to focus the signal directly at an oncoming hazard. Trains and ships have a much lower pitch with longer horns that are focused in the front where they are expecting obstacles. He probably would have had a better chance of getting the captain's attention using a vuvuzela. A safety flag might have helped also. The boat appears to be a dive charter and the engines were running at high rpm. it's possible that they might have had music playing as well, who knows. It's also possible that they were using some sort of auto-pilot if they run to the same dive sites on a daily basis and full attention was not being given to watching for navigation hazards.

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
Maybe it's just coming back in after a long weekend, but when you watch the first one, the title at the beginning says "I made this video..." and I have to wonder if that's true.

I think it's legit. It's hard for most of us to imagine what a shit show it must be to kayak fish in the greater Miami area. Everybody and their mother has a boat, if it's not over powered you aren't cool. Tons of people go out expressly to party and boating under the influence is a big issue. I think people run gopros similar to how Russians run dash cams. If something goes down they want irrefutable proof instead of testimony.

Trident 13

• Salmon
Regardless if staged or not, as the value of the lesson has nothing to do with that, it's a good reminder for boaters as well as kayakers.  You raised multiple good points.

My head doesn't do "360s" anymore, but you learn the value of paying attention to what's going on in the area.  It's tough when you're paddling vs 30+ mph.

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Yes.  You can't hear shit over outboards.  This summer the only horn I heard while underway was the ferry, and even that was not clear.  Mistook it for a buzzer on my instrument panel going off till I saw the ferry and the guy in front of it trolling.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Oh, and one other thing, in the guy's YouTube comments there were geniuses yapping about who was on the right/wrong.  Being in the right doesn't matter much if you're dead.  Stay alert!

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 07:03:26 AM by Lee »

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
That water looked about as wide as the Tualatin. Guys in the PB got what's coming IMO.

That said, being in the blind spot on the curve is not a great place to spend a lot of time. I wouldn't expect a boat like that on the Tualatin but it I was down in a bayou it wouldn't surprise me all that much. I've never been in those waters but I did watch a lot of Gentle Ben shows when I was a kid, and always wanted an air boat !
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

Wilfite

• Rockfish
  • Fish'n's good, Catch'n's better.
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
I've seen a lot of stupidity.  Maybe not a boat like that on the Tualatin but all it takes is an overpowered open boat to ruin a good day on a curve like that.  I was surprised the guy hadn't paddled closer to shore on the inside of the curve.  It was obvious he could hear the boat coming, though not from which direction.

I must confess, i the 2nd video I was really hoping for a "Crikey!".  :-)
-Tony

Wilderness Systems Thresher 15.5 (Yellow)
Old Town Predator MK, (Lime Green Camo)

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Of course, this thread wouldn't be complete without dredging up Michael Rischer's near miss on the Willamette a few years ago.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Trident 13

• Salmon
Poop the bed,  that was close!
Would be interesting to know the Paul Harvey ending!

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon