Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:55:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: 2018 groundfish limits will be set at the commission meeting on December 8  (Read 2426 times)

Bthomas

• This is the Bomb!!!
  • Herring
  • Doesn't get much better than fishing,,,
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
So why cut it down if they're doing so well?

They are trying to maintain the stocks.  They are allocated between sport and commercial, as well as between California, Oregon and Washington.  Oregon's allocation was exceeded in August, so shut down in September.  THat is unusual, it has been several years since they had to shut the fishery down.  They want to avoid going over the allocation so that doesn't happen again.  Black rockfish is the constraining fish, but the minor nearshore fishes were also over allocation this year.  Basically, the weather was too good and the tuna and salmon fishing to crappy and the rockfish got hammered way more than anyone ever expected them to.

If you really want to go down the rabbit hole of how fish are allocated, go the the PFMC website and read up.  Be aware that the governmental and stakeholder organizational chart is extremely complicated and one of the worst I've ever seen, and I've had to untangle embezzlement rackets of foreign banks before, so...

Wow!

Thank you--I have a lot of reading to do.....
--------------------------------------
2016 PRo Angler 14
2017 Outback that I share with my wife occasionally...

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I like D, especially if the fish are endangered; A isn't so bad either...
If I read it correctly, they are not even close to endangered, it sounds like the Black rockfish biomass in fished areas is estimated at 58% of what it is in unfished areas (marine preserves).

Thank you, Roger.  What I said is the fishery (i.e. the ability to keep harvesting a species) might be in danger, not that the species itself is endangered, and this is a great explanation.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
Wow!

Thank you--I have a lot of reading to do.....

I'm done reading, I think ODFW has done a good job coming up with Option A, we will know Friday if that recommended plan is adopted. 

But I am not done steaming over the poached lingcod that I found at TenMile lakes last Wednesday- at least 6 expertly filleted carcasses that I think, based on size, were most likely caught in CoosBay...(I got the pictures and info to the CoosBay troopers so they are aware of it).

At least we have nice weather coming Sun-Wed and I am hitting the pedals hard to try and put the last 2 wild coho on my tag and finish out my season.  My legs can rest while I bank fish for winter steelhead and then get back to bottom fishing in January.  cheers, roger   
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Lingcod are open to spear fishing. It’s possible that they were not poached.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
Lingcod are open to spear fishing. It’s possible that they were not poached.

OK,  I guess that is possible but it seems very unlikely that 3 (or more) spear fishermen would stop at a boat launch 10 miles north of CoosBay and decide to fillet them at the edge of the launch and toss the carcasses into the water....especially since there is a nice cleaning station at the launch with 2 trash cans....plus I'm almost certain it is not legal to discard carcasses from another location in a lake like this. 

codeman

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010
Whatever option they go to, I just with they would allow catch and release in the bays during the closed retention season, instead of closing it down completely. I can hammer rf in the bays all winter in less than 15 ft of water with barbless jigs, causing zero mortality. Its like smallmouth fishing....at least keep it open for catch and release fishing from the bank with artificials....

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
Anyone hear if they adopted plan A?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

crash

• Salmon
Anyone hear if they adopted plan A?

They are still in the public comment part of the commission meeting. You can stream it from the ODFW Twitter link to a periscope live feed.

crash

• Salmon

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
https://www.pscp.tv/ODFW/1mrxmZggvBDKy
Thanks, I listened to the last part of the meeting and the unanimous approval but they never repeated what was moved and seconded.  My guess is that it was the report and recommended option A that was approved.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 07:24:53 PM by rogerdodger »

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
https://www.pscp.tv/ODFW/1mrxmZggvBDKy
Thanks, I listened to the last part of the meeting and the unanimous approval but they never repeated what was moved and seconded.  My guess is that it was the report and recommended option A that was approved.

They adopted the 5 marine fish all year round, considered most likely to result in a mid-year closure.
So fish early and fish often.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 09:53:17 PM by rogerdodger »