Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:34:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Okuma Coldwater 350 vs CW-153D  (Read 4933 times)

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
After being frustrated with Penn on the Battle II durability and watching Jason using the Okuma 350, I'm heading that way.  Would like to stay in the $110 range.  Based on observation and review of the chart below, I think I'd be happy with either, but get less weight, more bearings, lower profile, better retrieve and more drag with the 350 for a few dollars difference, $102 vs $118.
Thought this picture might help others, just looking for any different views or preferred reels near this price point would be appreciated.

JasonM

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
The low profile Cold Water reels have the thumb bar spool release like a normal baitcaster. The standard models have the lever on the side like other round line counter reels. The thumb bar is much easier and quicker for quickly freespooling down to fish that show up on the fish finder. Even though I'm right-handed, I use left-handed baitcasting reels so that I can have both hands working the reel and then my stronger, dominant hand on the rod when I'm fighting fish. For jigging, having my right hand on the reel to quickly freespool down to the fish and my left hand to turn the handle made it super quick to get on the fish and engage the spool/set the hook. The standard round model would likely be fine for trolling, but for jigging I would definitely try to find a line counter reel with a thumb bar instead of the lever on the side.

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Sales (in the PDX area at least), bring the price of both under 100 pretty often.  I have a lo-pro I use for Kokes and a round (300 size) that I have used for salmon and bottom fish (Its really too big, bought the wrong size, noob mistake).   Build quality on the lo-pro is definitely better.  I agree with Jason that the thumb bar is nice, but I havent had trouble with either.  What are you looking to do with it?

Trident 13

• Salmon
What are you looking to do with it?
Hunt Griz:-)))))

I'm thinking the 350 will work for trolling/jigging salmon, bottom fish, walleye, muskie and most others bigger than ultra light gear.
I've been a spinning reel guy for years.  Waiting for parts to rebuild my Penn Battle II 3000, but it's durability has been a disappointment.  Big reel with the wrong guts. 
I've used a Penn 109 for 30 years in the salt, just cause I like the nostalgia more than the reel capability and it gets it done.  It seems the 350 will be plenty big for my salt targets, even halibut with the understanding I could blow one up, but that would be a good story.  I've done big fish on a 109, it just takes a lot of line and plenty of time, but I wait months/years to get there so there's no rush.
Pretty much made up my mind, just haven't used many reel types (the old Penn 109 is not in the same zip code obviously) and thought I'd ask.
Nice to get one in Portland as I'm no fan of the WA gov, but it takes money to run a state, so...the 350 is on the way as of 10 AM.  Can always return it, just can't fish this weekend with it if it's not here.

yaktastic

• A cowboy in a kayak? I never was normal.
  • Salmon
  • shut up and let me fish.
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I have 1 low pro, 2 153s and 1 203. Least fav is the 203. I prefer the 153s over the low pro for most stuff. The low pro is bulky in the rod holder.
4th place 2017 TBKD Rockfish.

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
I've got both the low profile and the 350...the 350 is just a back-up now.  I use the low profile for trolling and jigging bottom/rock fish, it's got plenty of line capacity and tons of drag if needed.  Have it spooled with 50 pound Power Pro, fished in 500+ feet of water with a little line to spare, although not enough to fight a big flattie or ling.  I've contemplated going with a Diawa Lexa line counter for my next reel, but why when the Okuma has performed flawlessly for me.
"If your hands ain't bleeding, you ain't fishing hard enough!"

Chromer

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Dec 2016
The Daiwa Lexa 300lc is on sale for 148 at Outdoor Emporium. (Might be member pricing only)

Trident 13

• Salmon
AkFishon - I did order the Okuma Coldwater 350 Low Profile Linecounter Reel.  I thought the 350 was the model # for the low profile, so maybe you meant one of the other with a 300'ish number.  Gets hard to keep them straight.

Chromer -I saw the Daiwa was on sale, and thanks.  I just decided there were enough good reviews of the Okuma (above) as well as what I've seen first hand, and in the end the Okuma was about $40 cheaper all things considered, so that was the choice.  (It's till returnable:-)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 04:07:02 PM by Trident 13 »

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
AkFishon - I did order the Okuma Coldwater 350 Low Profile Linecounter Reel.  I throught the 350 was the model # for the low profile, so maybe you meant one of the other with a 300'ish number.  Gets hard to keep them straight.

You're right, my bad.  The low profile is what I was referring to as my go to reel. 

"If your hands ain't bleeding, you ain't fishing hard enough!"

Trident 13

• Salmon
Held them both in my hand at Cabela's in Oly, and really glad the low profile 350 was what I ordered, should be here Friday and I might take a shot at Lake Sammamish Saturday or Sunday.  Won't have a lot of time either day and fresh H20 doesn't require the srub down, or else I'd give Shilshole a shot.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 07:00:21 AM by Trident 13 »

Trident 13

• Salmon
Finally got the okuma low profile on the water off lake Sammamish. One outing is just a large test, but pretty impressive. Very satisfied with the feel and ability to hold the rod in one hand, release the spool and stop it at a specified distance and be able to the weight on the DS about exactly where the counter said. Not something easy to do with a spinning reel or as easy with the 153.  Eager to test it on a good salmon.
Wish it was a picture of a fish, but...can't blame that on the reel.  The reel/pool did fit nicely in a Scotty holder.  I wasn't able to test the ease of quick removal  :'(
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 09:00:30 AM by Trident 13 »

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
I didn't know the low profiles came in different sizes. All of mine appear to be the same. I have 5, I think. Use for trolling salmon, jigging for bottomfish, and trolling for trout/kokanee.

BiMart had them for like $79 at one point over the summer and I bought 2. The others I got when they hit $99 at BiMart or Fishermans.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

Trident 13

• Salmon
I’m sure others might know more but I’m guessing the “350” is the basic model and they turn into 354d, et al for right and left hand, but I think all are the same size?  Anyway, it’s really a nice feeling reel for that price point.