Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:10:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: More regulations to come  (Read 2187 times)

Jbauman915

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
Cant say im happy about this.  More government, and secret meetings is never the answer.

http://interactive.tegna-media.com/video/embed/embed.html?site=281&id=1281002488791&platform=mobile&sitetype=Facebook+Instant&autoplay=autoplay&type=video

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Jbauman915

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
I've said this before and I'll say this again,   WDFW is in the business of ending sport fishing in all of Puget Sound.  I have no doubt that will happen within the next 10 years.
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
It's highly likely to result in extremely limited and closed seasons.  WDFW is a failure.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

gnomodom

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Here is hoping that seal season will open.

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
Fishing from human-powered craft, in my mind,  can produce a sustainable fishery due to the effort required, the gear used, and the limitations placed on it by the weather and tides.   Too bad for us that government fails to recognize this.
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
I've said this before and I'll say this again,   WDFW is in the business of ending sport fishing in all of Puget Sound.  I have no doubt that will happen within the next 10 years.

I lol'd. Well, that's just your opinion, man.

Fish Hard.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008

I lol'd. Well, that's just your opinion, man.

Fish Hard.

I've said THIS before and I'll say THIS again for good measure.

There IS a problem with our salmon. 

Now, which problem is it? 

1. We have perfectly healthy native salmon runs, supplemented by hatchery fish that will sustain just fine under current ODFW or WDFW restrictive regulations for recreational fisherman. While at the same time, maintaining commercial fishing to sell these prize fish around the world, because EVERYONE is entitled to have their salmon whenever and wherever they want it.

or

2. We have very unhealthy native/hatchery salmon runs that are NOT sustainable at any level of regulation, shy of complete closure until a solid recovery happens.

Seriously, why do we put so much focus on businesses here? 
There is either salmon, or there isn't.
-If there is healthy stocks of salmon, it should be easy to manage between tribal, recreational, and commercial harvests.
-If the salmon numbers are severely suffering to the point that we have to supplement with hatchery fish, and regulate the crap out of those as well, then fishing for salmon should be reduced drastically, even to the point of complete closure for EVERYONE until salmon runs are restored to healthy numbers. 

*I understand commercial folks need to make a living, but at the risk of killing off a species, they will be out of work anyways if they do.  Other restaurants, states, and countries will survive just fine without the imported PNW smoked salmon, sushi, fillets, etc....
*I understand that native tribal folks have been given a shit show way back when the white man took over their lands and reduced them to less than favorable living conditions.  However, they should already know how to manage what they need to survive on without killing off a species.
*I understand salmon taste good, are fun to fight/catch, and reserve bragging rights from the recreational fisherman, but at some point we need to let the salmon recoup or we won't have salmon to catch in the future. 

I would personally be just fine having all salmon in Washington and Oregon be off limits by everyone for a minimum of 10 years.  If things are looking better by that time, then we could look into SLOWLY reintroducing fishing for them again.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

workhard

• Salmon
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 07:25:59 PM by workhard »

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Even that seems overly simplistic and overly doom-and-gloomy.  You haven't included the issues caused by predation and competition from non-native species, and even ocean warming, while real, hasn't yet approached the highs recorded in 1975.

Loss of habitat is always the most significant reason for the decline of a species' population, but the rapid decline in salmon populations isn't confined to the Puget Sound area and the unique problems for that region cannot account for the decline from Northern California north throughout Oregon and Washington - and I don't know the data for Canadian salmon populations.

For now, I'm going to favor INSAYN's comments.  If the resource is in danger, the solution is to reduce or eliminate pressure on the species and restore the habitat, but how the folks of Washington negotiate that necessity with the Nations is a problem too big for my little brain.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

workhard

• Salmon
Aint nobody gonna bring you down.

Fish hard.