Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:45:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Hello from Clacktucky  (Read 2522 times)

In2Deep

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Dec 2017
I'm a new member and aspiring kayak angler in Clackamas, Oregon.  My moniker here is one that I use on some scuba websites, but I recognize several of the members here from Ifish (where I'm known as "Beefcake").

I have a solid fishing background and currently own a couple of power boats (a 22' dory and an 18' hooptie river sled), but I've always wanted to try kayak angling.  A friend of mine, BThomas on this site, just jumped in with both feet and bought a couple of fancy Hobie yaks, but I'm starting out on a shoestring.  I just bought a beat-up Malibu 2 that I'm going to use to see how well I like kayak fishing.  From what I've read, this isn't the best platform to start with, but it was what I could afford after hunting season and a Hawaii vacation this fall.

I've been cruising the rigging threads, and I'm ready to get started modifying my yak.  I have rigged several power boats over the years (maybe 10 of them), so I'm comfortable cutting and drilling, but I'm sure I'll have a bunch of questions about where to mount stuff.  I'll also have some really dumb questions (like where to buy a milk crate).

I mostly fish for salmon on the Willamette, Columbia, and coastal bays, but I'm interested in learning mid-Columbia walleye and maybe some nearshore rockfish once I get some experience / confidence paddling (my ex and I had sit-in recreational boats, but we only used them in very calm waters).  Thanks for welcoming me; I hope to meet some of you soon.

Scott

surf12foot

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
Well, you have come to the right spot. Make sure your trays are in the upright position and your hands and arms remain inside because your on the start of the adventure of your life!
Scott

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Welcome! You're in the right place, but it's pretty quiet here this time of year. Things usually pick up around springer season.

Looking forward to seeing your kayak and of course fish pictures!

yaktastic

• A cowboy in a kayak? I never was normal.
  • Salmon
  • shut up and let me fish.
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Welcome. Just wet your feet this winter and go chase some trout and troll. Good place to start to see If you like it. If you want to try your hand at walleye this early spring early summer hit me up.im in the dalles. I can take you in plastic or aluminum.
4th place 2017 TBKD Rockfish.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Welcome to the addiction. I’m in Garibaldi and for salt introductions Tillamook bay is great to start chasing “rockfish tacos” 8-12 inches on average. Now having arthritis I’m likely not hitting the water till late January or February. I usually post open invites and am forcibly retired so can join almost any days of the week if I don’t have previous plans.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

In2Deep

• Herring
Thanks everyone.  For some reason, Mojo Jojo's response says "Sorry, content not available."  Am I blocked from seeing some people's posts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yakbass

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Mojo probably made the internet gods mad again.

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Thanks everyone.  For some reason, Mojo Jojo's response says "Sorry, content not available."  Am I blocked from seeing some people's posts?

That is a safety feature they have built into the wesite.  When you get to know Mojo Jojo you will understand.

Welcome to the site.  Kayak fishing has been way more addicting that I could have ever imagined. 
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Malibu 2 is a reasonable entry level beater.  I just sold my old one about 12 hours ago.  Good dive platform, decent to fish out of but solo in a pro 2 tandem was a bit of a pain, definitely need some counterweight in the bow unless you got a newer one with the middle single paddler position. 

Welcome!

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
This work, screenshot from my iPhone of my post?

Shannon

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon

That is a safety feature they have built into the wesite.  When you get to know Mojo Jojo you will understand.

Welcome to the site.  Kayak fishing has been way more addicting that I could have ever imagined.
HEY!

Shannon

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
You using a computer or smartphone/ tablet? If a phone or tablet, Tapatalk?

Shannon

In2Deep

• Herring
I'm using my iPhone with Tapatalk right now, but I've seen the same "content not available" message on other threads while using my laptop.  I've never seen this on other forums, so I curious what causes it.

I'd like to catch up with you and try for some rockfish in the bay.  I've bank, boat, and spear fished along the north jetty, but I'd love to try it from the yak once I get some basic rigging done.

Besides rigging, I need to figure out what I'm going to wear.  I might be stuck in my 7mil dive wetsuit until I can afford a dry suit.

In2Deep

• Herring
Crash- My boat does have a center seat option.  I figured it my boat was an old model based on the condition and the fact that it doesn't even have any hatches, but maybe the hideous black / green "camo" spray paint flaking off of the orange hull affected my impressions of it.  The good news is that it is so ugly that I only had to pay $170 for it, and spray paint is cheap.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
I'm using my iPhone with Tapatalk right now, but I've seen the same "content not available" message on other threads while using my laptop.  I've never seen this on other forums, so I curious what causes it.

I'd like to catch up with you and try for some rockfish in the bay.  I've bank, boat, and spear fished along the north jetty, but I'd love to try it from the yak once I get some basic rigging done.

Besides rigging, I need to figure out what I'm going to wear.  I might be stuck in my 7mil dive wetsuit until I can afford a dry suit.

I might have a 4 mil that fits you but in the summer months I wear dry fit clothes no wetsuit or dry suit just non cotton... get ready for all the comments on that one!
Disclaimer: only in Tillamook Bay and if it’s 70+ degrees out... yes the water is much colder and yes I have been in it in that. Worst case scenario CG is on scene in 5-10 minuets, there is a beach and jetty rocks that are close bye to get out of the water if reboarding isn’t an option.

Shannon

anything