Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:41:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Siltcoos 2018  (Read 1842 times)

• Date Registered: Mar 2017
Anyone fishing this season? I've never done it. I have some time off now and will give a report if I get down there. I haven't consulted my lawyer but it appears that it is open.

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
We definitely need some rain, but if you're wanting to go for a kayak outing on a beautiful coastal lake, Siltcoos is ideal. 
There was a good thread from 2017 on NWKA from last year with good intel from the guys that fish Siltcoos regularly - try a search and you can get some good info about where the coho can be found.  I'll be down there after the rain comes in (if I can get out of Jury Duty).

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
It's open this year.  I'll be out there after we get significant rain to raise the lake level.  The best fishing is when the lake is high enough for the water managers to open the gates on the dam.

I fished both Siltcoos and Tahkenitch for the first time last year, and they're a blast.  A lot of by-catch consisting of trout and bass, then every now and then you hook a big coho!  Search for some of RogerDodger's reports, he's the expert on Siltcoos.
aMayesing Bros.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
out today for 6 hours getting familiar with my new sonar.  lake is very low (2 feet below where they usually start opening the dam) and weeds are terrible this year and at this low water level.  water temp is down to 62F, which is a big improvement.  very very few coho in the lake so far. 

I picked up a fresh SRC (first fish on the new Outback!) to bake up for dinner, heading back late next week after we get some rain...cheers, roger

2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
I covered most the lake on Saturday, water down to 59F but still a good foot low, definitely no dam operations yet IMO.  a few coho sneaking in over the fish ladder but I couldn't find one today, chatted with one of our local Troopers who was out on a zodiac and he said just a very few have been caught that he's aware of.

I picked up a pair of 15" SRC, silver on the outside, orange on the inside, I'll smoke these guys up with the jacks I plan to catch over the next few weeks.  Pepper and I are loving the new Outback, the glide on this new hull is amazing.

Clayman

• Salmon
Those are nice cutties!  If the rain keeps on coming through this week and they open the dam, I'll head down there next weekend.
aMayesing Bros.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
Those are nice cutties!  If the rain keeps on coming through this week and they open the dam, I'll head down there next weekend.

we got an inch last night in just over 3 hours, so that's at least a good start...another inch Sunday night but as of Monday 10/29, no water moving in the river...

this is the main Lane County Launch on 10/29, the dock is resting on the ramp and this is still a very low lake level, normal is more where I added the red line, above that is when they usually start cranking the dam open.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 11:26:57 AM by rogerdodger »

Clayman

• Salmon
Hmm, maybe the following weekend will be a better bet then.  Unless it rains more this week than forecasted.  I appreciate the updates Roger, thanks.

Such a weird fall with the dismal Chinook fishing and now the Siltcoos fishery being delayed due to lack of water  :(.
aMayesing Bros.

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
Thanks for the updates, Roger!  It's fun to see you enjoying your new Outback with Pepper.

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
Roger, What lures were you using to catch the SRC?  Were you trolling or casting? 
Might go for a scenic trip this week and could be fun to hook a fish.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
Roger, What lures were you using to catch the SRC?  Were you trolling or casting? 
Might go for a scenic trip this week and could be fun to hook a fish.

I always fish the coho lakes with bare spinners in the 1/2oz or #4 blue fox size.  Most SRC hit them trolled at 2 to 2.5 mph.  Coho hits are split more evenly between casting and trolling.  Gold blade-Orange body and Silver blade-Pink body are my top producers, except dark rainy days when all black is tops.

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
I always fish the coho lakes with bare spinners in the 1/2oz or #4 blue fox size.  Most SRC hit them trolled at 2 to 2.5 mph.  Coho hits are split more evenly between casting and trolling.  Gold blade-Orange body and Silver blade-Pink body are my top producers, except dark rainy days when all black is tops.
Thanks!  Excellent info.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
Thanks!  Excellent info.

Pepper and I are planning to be out Monday on our scary leaky Outback...lol

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
ended up fishing both lakes Monday, nothing good to report.