Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:13:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Pacific City report 6-11-18  (Read 1109 times)

beefer

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Apr 2013
After a nice weekend rainstorm, I saw a window at PC and decided to give it a try. I got there about 6am to see some decent sized waves but of more concern to me was how close they were together. It was low tide so I figured as the tide came in, it would smooth out. I got my gear together but it hadn't really smoothed out. I stood in the water by those two mushroom rocks forever waiting for the right time with the current desperately trying to rip the kayak out of my hands and throw it against the rocks. I finally found a window, jumped in, went over one wave and I was free.

I started fishing right off the northeast corner of the rock and hit a barely undersized ling right away. This made me think it was going to be pretty good fishing. While I was dealing with that ling, it coughed up a full octupus which I set aside to use for bait later.

I continued in that area for a bit and decided to try for some lings a bit further away. The drift was pushing me north and while I fish PC a few times a year, I usually stick around the rock. I haven't been fishing with a depth finder for some time but just got one installed so I decided I would head out to the north reef area. I wasn't really sure exactly where it was but had seen boats out there before and figured I would see something in the depth finder to indicate I was in the right spot. I never did find anything that seemed like a reef to me and there weren't many boats out today to follow. I guess I will try again later. I picked up  4 sea bass while messing around out there but never got into any lings and only got one small cabbie.

I came back and fished a while longer between the rock and the yellow buoy. I decided to give that octopus a try and hooked up to a nice sized cabbie that I would like to catch again in about three weeks. It started to get windy and the chop was starting to wash over the sides of my kayak so I decided to call it a day. On the way back in, a whale that was hanging out at the point got pretty close  and hung around me for a while. I stopped fishing just to take it in for a few minutes while it was flipping it's tail out of the water about 75 feet away.

As I got closer to shore, I could see that it had flattened out a bit but there were some waves breaking near shore. It didn't look too bad. As I got closer, I noticed the waves were just a bit bigger than I thought and were still too close together for me to sneak in between waves. I started to pedal in and noticed a wave sneaking in behind me. I started to turn so I could face it as I was thinking about backing in. I have a Hobie so I was using the drive with my paddle attached to the side of the yak. The front of the paddle dipped in the water and flipped off the side notch just as a wave came up behind me and I wasn't able to turn and face it properly.  Fortunately it wasn't yet cresting but did push me a little bit. I tie my paddle down as I have lost it previously and when it fell off and I started moving on the wave, the fins from the paddle caught the water acting as an anchor and the force of my kayak moving in the opposite direction exerted a lot of force and snapped the paddle right in the middle where the two pieces connect. Now I wasn't going to be able to back in and I noticed that the set of waves coming up quickly was actually pretty decent sized-big enough to surf and flip me over. I furiously pedaled and got turned about 45 degrees going into the wave just as it was cresting and I was sure I was going to get dumped but I just barely made it out. It was quickly followed by a few more decent sized waves that I managed to catch at the worst possible time-each time just as they were crashing down.

I then turned, picked up the pieces of my paddle and pedaled like a madman and made it in without any further damage. I have a gopro but didn't take it today, my bad. Dang. Also learned if I am going to tie down my paddle, best to hold it during launch and landing so I don't snap another one.

Now I need to buy a new paddle. I looked online and since you can find anything on the internet, I already came up with a few decent options but I also wanted to see if anyone would like to recommend a paddle that has worked well for them. Since I don't use it for anything but launching and landing, I don't want to spend a ton of money but would like something sturdy. Perhaps the two are mutually exclusive though as I know-you get what you pay for.

All in all, a good day. Enough fish for tacos, had some fun, learned a few new things and didn't have to flip over to learn them. I sure wish I could have been watching myself  try to land today-ridiculous. Ha ha.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Thanks for the report! Good job making it out in the weather window. Jealous.  ;D

Tim Wilson

• Krill
  • Date Registered: May 2018
Glad you survived, what boat were in? Hobie Outback?

beefer

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Apr 2013
I too am glad I survived. Ha ha Yes, I was in an Outback

anything