Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:24:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:21:09 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 11:35:40 AM]

[Today at 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: OMB and ODFW - Potential fee hikes  (Read 6034 times)

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
We're preaching to the choir here, other forums are a little more sporty. 

Some boaters consider us the bicyclists of the water and think were not paying our fair share.  Like Craig and others I think fees at the ramp and for parking are the way to handle this issue.  I almost never use an improved launch so how does the increased fee benefit me.  The boaters do make one good point, we need to do a better job of educating some yakers on efficiency at boat ramps.

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
+1
As for lowering deck hand fees, I could give a shit if they "feed their families" from that job.  I feed my family from my kayak, but I take less of the resource.  Also, many people spend that much per week on gas to drive to and from work to feed their families, should they not pay a gas tax or have lower car registration fees?

Also, I totally agree about doing away with the 10 foot rule. That is bullshit. Float tubes and white water craft can transfer AIS just as easily as a 12 foot kayak.

Man Sam opened a can of worms with this thread. ;)

Less fish for more money. https://www.dfw.state.or.us/mrp/finfish/groundfish_sport/index.asp

Also, commercial fishers can catch cabezon year-round until their quota is reached AND catch more cabbies in a day than I will in a lifetime. https://www.dfw.state.or.us/mrp/regulations/commercial_fishing/nsregs/nearshore_trip_limits.asp :BangHead:

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I honestly feel that the invasive species permit was more of just a way to generate money, and less on the actual invasive species part of it.

But on the other hand, if that was truly the case then they would include more vessels especially those under 10 feet. 

As said above, if parking and facilities use is their main concern that makes them think that kayaks/canoes/SUPs are tying things up, then wouldn't we be paying the same parking fees as everyone else already, if we actually used them? 

Having us pay for upkeep on these facilities is crap! The vast majority of us don't necessarily use the ramps, or the parks as much as the dog walkers, joggers and picnicking families do. 

If the human powered craft or the user actually causes wear and tear on the facilities, then I could see it.  But, I would bet that there is absolutely no facts to support their logic in thinking we are the reason they are overwhelmed.   

It's one thing to use boat registration to fund the parking and launch facilities, as they don't have much choice and do use these facilities to gain access to the water.  But, to create a silly "Waterway Use Permit" that does nothing to support the actual use of the waterway itself is not right.

Please keep an eye on this subject going further (TV, Newsprint, etc), and if any public opinion meetings are ever scheduled to please post them up so we can spread the word on other forums for others affected to attend in large numbers to be able to ask them meaningful questions that will hopefully get answers to.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
As for lowering deck hand fees, I could give a shit if they "feed their families" from that job.  I feed my family from my kayak, but I take less of the resource.  Also, many people spend that much per week on gas to drive to and from work to feed their families, should they not pay a gas tax or have lower car registration fees?

Easy!  What I said was commercial fishermen work to feed their families so let's not start an us versus them rant that further exacerbates the situation.  Didn't say it was fair, just that we're all in the same boat, so-to-speak - although we're sitting in the leaky part below deck.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008

Easy!  What I said was commercial fishermen work to feed their families so let's not start an us versus them rant that further exacerbates the situation.  Didn't say it was fair, just that we're all in the same boat, so-to-speak - although we're sitting in the leaky part below deck.

I wish we were in the same boat, but the commercial guys got a better boat from the state.  Now it sounds like it will be even better.

SamM

• Lingcod
  • McDowellHome
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Man Sam opened a can of worms with this thread. ;)

Ya, I don't get on here very often, just wanted to make sure folks were aware.  Besides, if you think this is a can of worms, you should have seen the outside text discussion  ;) - 4x as many f-bombs!

Just to increase emphasis...

Please keep an eye on this subject going further (TV, Newsprint, etc), and if any public opinion meetings are ever scheduled to please post them up so we can spread the word on other forums for others affected to attend in large numbers to be able to ask them meaningful questions that will hopefully get answers to.

Oh ya...  Anybody else see that ODFW is looking to switch our current physical license/tag with a smartphone based system?

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2018/07/oregon_fish_and_wildlife_switc.html

MEDFORD — The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife plans to use an electronic licensing system that will allow hunters and anglers to buy licenses and tags online.

The Mail Tribune reports hunters and anglers also will be able to download an app that will allow them to use their smartphones to tag their salmon, steelhead, halibut, deer and other species that require tagging.

The new system is scheduled to go live in December, when the agency begins selling licenses and tags for 2019.

Personally, I like the idea.  Though I'm not sure I care about pulling my phone out to tag a fall salmon in the wind and rain! :)

-Sam
got stop wishing,
     got to go fishing...
          - Jimmy Buffett

Hobie Oasis, Outback, i11s

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016

Oh ya...  Anybody else see that ODFW is looking to switch our current physical license/tag with a smartphone based system?

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2018/07/oregon_fish_and_wildlife_switc.html

MEDFORD — The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife plans to use an electronic licensing system that will allow hunters and anglers to buy licenses and tags online.

The Mail Tribune reports hunters and anglers also will be able to download an app that will allow them to use their smartphones to tag their salmon, steelhead, halibut, deer and other species that require tagging.

The new system is scheduled to go live in December, when the agency begins selling licenses and tags for 2019.

Personally, I like the idea.  Though I'm not sure I care about pulling my phone out to tag a fall salmon in the wind and rain! :)

-Sam

This will come at a implementation cost of 150 million dollars, take 8 years to implement and will ultimately never work correctly. They'll revert to a paper based system again along with an additional fee to make up the budget shortfall.

See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cover_Oregon
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013

I wish we were in the same boat, but the commercial guys got a better boat from the state.  Now it sounds like it will be even better.

+1

Can't argue with that!
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon

-Sam

This will come at a implementation cost of 150 million dollars, take 8 years to implement and will ultimately never work correctly. They'll revert to a paper based system again along with an additional fee to make up the budget shortfall.

See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cover_Oregon

+1

I see this coming too.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Now, if they can begin to get behind the internet/smart phones as a way to do business, then we can add a few things to the list.

1. Create a "working" app that can be used on a smartphone that allows an angler to log in and see what all of the regs are (live as in at this minute) for the area they are currently standing in via GPS.  If GPS signal is not stable, or if a persons wants to look something up for another area, just click on a map and as long as phone service is good, it gathers live information for that given spot. 

2. Ditch the paper copy of the fishing/hunting regulations. 
-The paper copy will never be the binding document used between you and law enforcement when the info on the internet has been updated and no longer matches the printed version. No point in carrying it with you if the online is different. 

-I've been chatting with with ODFW via email about this exact issue and they just go in circles.  I keep asking them what is the point of printing out regs if they are not saying EXACTLY the same thing as what is online. They keep saying that it is up to the angler to know the regs for where they plan to fish.  They assume folks don't have phones or internet and need the printed copy. So, again I point out that the regs are changed online only, how are they to verify their paper copy is saying the same thing without going online?  They said that a person could call ODFW to verify.  I point out that requires the ODFW person to give valid information (which they have a habit of not doing).  On top of that, why do they need a printed copy of regs if they are just going to call anyways? 

-Still working on them of further answers regarding this.  I would really like to set up a meeting with whomever is in charge, and knows what is going on, so I(we) can ask these questions face to face.

Both of these would benefit from ODFW by just updating the actual online regulations as they need updated, rather than posting these changes/updates on other pages.  There is absolutely no need for it.  We are required to verify the regs before we fish, so keep it simple.  ODFW could even update the regs with notes that changes will go into effect on given dates well in advance for anyone that may not have internet access at the time they leave civilization for a fishing trip.

My bigger point here is that the actual online fishing regulations are not even changed when there is an update until the following year.  They only update the News Release page, MyODFW.com in the Recreation Report, at the top of each fishing zone.  Why not the actual regulations? 

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
It would be so nice to check THE regulation and not guess which/where to look or who to call.  A GPS based app would be amazing.
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

Matt M

• Sturgeon
Our southern brothers actually have it figured out pretty dang well in that regard...

https://map.dfg.ca.gov/sportfishingregs/
-Matt

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Our southern brothers actually have it figured out pretty dang well in that regard...

Well there ya go ODFW!!!!

Oregon is already a diet Kalifornia, why not copy something that would actually benefit the Oregonians? 

Then find a state that has figured out how to make a GPS based map to go with this and "POOF", Bob's your uncle!   :icon_thumleft:

Matt M

• Sturgeon

Well there ya go ODFW!!!!

Oregon is already a diet Kalifornia, why not copy something that would actually benefit the Oregonians? 

Then find a state that has figured out how to make a GPS based map to go with this and "POOF", Bob's your uncle!   :icon_thumleft:

That site actually does have GPS, not sure how well it works with phones though.
-Matt

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
there isn't a tax or fee that Oregon state government doesn't like, including ODFW.  Just look at the mass transit  tax that was just implemented, taking more money out of the pocket of the hourly wage earner.  I guess bike lanes and buses for all,  oops,  I guess to only fund Portland. >:D
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--