Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:54:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Pacific City Big Buck Hunter  (Read 2356 times)

minnowmagnet

• Lingcod
  • aka That F'n minnowmagnet
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I just want to thank Clayman and Mursestrong and Onefish for keeping me stoked for trolling in the ocean for salmon because my first couple of outings were pretty slow, with only a couple of native coho to the boat. It is great to see your pics, but also very cool of you guys to share the info.
Today, with absolutely pristine ocean conditions, I told myself that I would just put in the time, all day if necessary, do the grind and hopefully put something in the bag. After my standard early morning 5 minute rockfish limit east of the rock, I planned on heading out to 80 feet or so to start trolling. Not yet an expert at ocean salmon fishing, still I could read the signs- huge flocks of birds diving, whales working, and the most epic weedline stretching as far as the eye could see, not to mention bait galore on the screen, all happening together directly south of the rock. Now I might be  a little slow to learn, but I am not a total idiot, so I decided to start trolling right away, in 45 feet of water. Dropped the herring down, put the rod in the holder and immediately, within 10 seconds, it got slammed. After landing big buck number one, I re-baited and followed the weed line south. Again, birds diving, whales working and bait on the screen but after about 20 minutes, nothing. I switched to a spinner that I had tied up recently and wanted to try, dropped it down and within 5 minutes, slammed again. Buck number two was even bigger than the first and it sure wanted to prove it, taking out 280 feet of line in a single run then running straight at the kayak at top speed. The fight on both these fish was amazing, startling and ultimately quite enjoyable.
The first one, on the herring, came with 35 feet of line out and 10oz of lead in 45 fow. The spinner fish smacked it with just 25 feet out and 8oz of lead in 70fow. I hope I can return the favor and get someone stoked to keep getting after it.

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Nice!  I want out there so badly.  I am missing my chance to stock up on crab, too.  I am laid up with an injury and can't fish.  I am humble enough to accept salmon donations, also known as pity fish.  ;D

My fear is that I will have to go out crabbing in September when it gets sharky at PC. 

minnowmagnet

• Lingcod
  • aka That F'n minnowmagnet
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Nice!  I want out there so badly.  I am missing my chance to stock up on crab, too.  I am laid up with an injury and can't fish.  I am humble enough to accept salmon donations, also known as pity fish.  ;D

My fear is that I will have to go out crabbing in September when it gets sharky at PC.
Craig, no worries about the crabbing. It is pretty slow right now. Dropped a pot last time and only got 3 keepers, pretty soft.

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Amazing!  Great job Brian
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Congrats!  I heard you catch them. Can't beat the sound of a big ole Chinook in the boat. 
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

Clayman

• Salmon
Awesome limit minnowmagnet!  Those are brutes!  That's what ocean salmon is all about: looking for the signs of bait, color breaks, all that stuff.

Pretty cool you got one of them on a spinner.  Were you running that behind a flasher or just naked?
aMayesing Bros.

onefish

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
Way to go Brian, sick limit of total beasts!

Nicole got a real nice nook today as well.  Got some really nice coho too,
“Out of the water I am nothing” Duke Kahanamoku

trbro04

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
Wow, nice job!  I've been wanting to get out over there.  If you are going again, let me know and I'll paddle along side! 

Best regards

Tim

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Minnowmagnet YOU ROCK as a salmon catching feind.  Those are two enormous nooks.  Thanks for the report and the details!

That salmon by Nicole is awesome!  Way to go!!

Thanks for sharing- I'm really excited to see some good kayak reports.

SamM

• Lingcod
  • McDowellHome
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Brain - what an awesome spring and summer you've had.  Congrats on finding the twins yesterday!

I'll join you Craig - nothing can possibly go wrong.

-Sam
got stop wishing,
     got to go fishing...
          - Jimmy Buffett

Hobie Oasis, Outback, i11s

Helium Head

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Yup, getting me stoked!  I am going to be out of country next couple weeks🙁 :(
Hobie Revolution 13 olive
Hobie Revolution 13 yellow

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Clayman and Mursestrong and Onefish AND minnowmagnet?

The salmon don't stand a chance...

Seriously awesome fish - way to go!

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Outstanding!! Nice work on reading the ocean!

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

onefish

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
The ocean was a flat greasy lake today.  Gotta love it when there’s more chinook than coho around.  Whole herring behind a triangle flasher in 50 70 fow
“Out of the water I am nothing” Duke Kahanamoku

Clayman

• Salmon
Hellz yeah Onefish!  Awesome work!  Ocean looked fantastic down here today too, but all I could do was look at it from my work vehicle  :-\.

I noticed both your fish are clipped.  Was there an ODFW fish checker around to scan the heads?  Reason I ask is 3 of the 4 Chinook I've landed from Depoe this year were fin-clipped, yet didn't have any CWTs in them.  I'm still at a loss as to where these Chinook are headed.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 07:12:08 PM by Clayman »
aMayesing Bros.