Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:41:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Is this about normal? Water in the hull.  (Read 3881 times)

akfishergal

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
Last night I took the new Hobie Revo to the local pool to work some capsize drills. What a fabulous boat! But here's the question.  After 12 flips, and 12 recoveries -- there was about 1/2" of water inside the hull.  Out of curiosity I opened the midships hatch before getting out of the pool and measured this amount.  It wasn't too much to impede righting the boat even as I grew tired, but I am curious about where the water is coming in and whether this amount of water entering suggested a problem. What do you think?

The other thing that surprised me was observable this morning. Pronounced bruising on my arms (interior above elbow) from regaining entry using the BBL method.  I'm an upper-body weakling, so assume I'm just not lifting myself clear of the leading gunwale or high enough to avoid contact. Any suggestions? 

Guess I need to start doing some pushups....

fishnut

• Salmon
  • 1st Recipient of 2012 A$$hat Award
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
Just some thoughts but you might also get others feedback like Zee, Pelagic Paddler,etc.
Check all your seals on all hatches to make sure they are in good shape(new yak, should
be good). Was there 1/2" throughout the ENTIRE hull? That seems a bit much but a little bit would be normal. Possible stress fx. in the mirage drive area or somewhere else
maybe? Review Zee's video on self rescue again and build up the arm muscles as it seems you just might be using to much weight on the arms instead of the hands thus
incurring bruising. Also might be 12 times trying in a very short period of time that's
caused that. Hopefully Zee responds to you as he's a Hobie Pro. Best of luck and keep up the practice until you know you're good to go and re-practice periodically.

polyangler

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Your hull is not, nor should be completely air tight. There will be a small amount of leaking around your rudder lines, hatches, and most other through hull hardware. 1/2 an inch after rolling it over 12 times is a pretty water tight boat. No concerns there.

Are you prone to bruising easily? Righting and climbing back into your boat is a fairly physical task. I would think a little soreness and possibly some bruising to be expected after a doz or so drills. If you were able to do it yourself all 12 times you have plenty of upper body strength!

Good on you getting to the pool for self rescue practice!!
[img width=100 height=100]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/saltyplastic/NEMrod

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Rav is right. It depends how much time it was upside down and  some other factors but 1/2" water isn't too bad. It's always good to have a bilge pump on your yak and a bilge sponge is always nice too. As to working out to self rescue easier.. Yes and YES!! Great thinking. This is a dangerous sport and getting yourself aboard quick makes all the difference in the world.
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Check your crotch and tank well hatch gaskets too.  They are a crappy design and have a tendency to roll in their slot.  I find I need to remove mine and clean the slot and the gaskets after each salt trip or the salt builds up in the slot.  I often use either a silicone spray or WD-40 to lube the gaskets, screw close, and hinges.

Also check your bow hatch seal and bungees.  You can tighten the stock bungees to hold the hatch down tighter.  Or, if there is enough bungee, you can cross the bungees to the other side buttons.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 09:37:35 AM by demonick »
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

akfishergal

• Salmon
Thanks for the guidance, fellas.

On my final effort Wednesday, I timed the self-recovery at 25 seconds. But on a few of those efforts, I swam underneath and around the kayak just to get a feel for my buoyancy and maneuverability. I would estimate that at most the kayak was upended for about 15 minutes. I will definitely examine the hatches and tighten the bungees on the bow hatch. Your suggestions about inspecting and cleaning after saltwater trips -- I'll absolutely remember that.  I'll make sure that a bilge pump and sponge are on board, part of the standard gear that always stays on this boat.

I can't say whether the water was 1/2" throughout the boat, or just under the heaviest part where I sat when checking the center hatch. I didn't check again when I pulled the kayak out of the pool, just proceeded to drain the boat.

Zee's video was one of several that informed my understanding of how to do this. All of my adult life has been spent in Alaska, and as much time as I can muster is spent outdoors no matter the season. I've had some close calls over that time, and understand the importance of thorough preparation and attention to safety. I recognize my limitations honestly, and concede that I don't have the strength that I did at 25. What I lack in strength, I make up for in wilderness savvy. The ocean is another aspect of wilderness travel to learn. Another way to find big fish.

This forum is a brilliant knowledge resource. I'm so happy that it's here, and that you've taken time to answer questions in such detail.  Now... back to the push-ups.

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
For anyone that has physical challenges getting back into the yak, I would recommend pull ups (with palm forward) and core excercises.

Here is a good starting point for core exercises:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/core-strength/SM00047

Romanian Redneck

• snoodleboob smoochy bear
  • Sturgeon
  • 2011 Hobie Outback & WS Tarpon 120
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Your hull is not, nor should be completely air tight. There will be a small amount of leaking around your rudder lines, hatches, and most other through hull hardware. 1/2 an inch after rolling it over 12 times is a pretty water tight boat. No concerns there.

+1
RR's Channel         

"You break into my house, I will shoot you. My wife will shoot you and then spend thirty minutes telling you why she shot you."
- Jeff Foxworthy

akfishergal

• Salmon
Thanks Lee, I'll add pull-ups to the list. My husband installed a bar in the basement years ago -- I just don't use it because it's so embarrassing. For core strength, Pilates classes work for me. That might be too girly for some folks.

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Thanks Lee, I'll add pull-ups to the list. My husband installed a bar in the basement years ago -- I just don't use it because it's so embarrassing. For core strength, Pilates classes work for me. That might be too girly for some folks.

Pilates as well as Yoga are great core work outs that pay huge dividends with balance and body awareness on the kayak. Though they don't do much for "juicing the guns" ..... To each his own. Some think that a ton of curls and bench press in front of the minor at the gym is the ticket.

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Some think that a ton of curls and bench press in front of the minor at the gym is the ticket.

pedo!

Hot yoga is one hell of a workout.  Great for endurance!
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Nice work akfishergal!  A lot of people skip these crucial 1st steps. 

Most people don't think they'll ever need to perform a wet entry..... till they have to.

-Spot-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
... I'll make sure that a bilge pump and sponge are on board, part of the standard gear that always stays on this boat. ...

Here's a quick, simple in-the-hull mount for a Scotty Pump.  Pulls out with one hand. 
http://www.demonick.com/kayak/Scotty.Pump.Mount/Scotty.Pump.Mount.html
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

anything