Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:04:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: 3rd Barbie Classic  (Read 6202 times)

jmbx2ditto

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
Has anyone thought of having the Tournament with two separate classes?
Barbie Rod for one and Hand lining the other. It would allow a second option when Barbie has a meltdown.
Also have dates been established?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Ripndrag

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
Sounds ok to me I think July 14th weekend
Take the sticker off your hat Bend the rim and go fishing!

jmbx2ditto

• Rockfish
I'll mark my calender and hope work does not get in the way. All the reports from the first two years are making me chomp at the bit fof this year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
July 14th?  Ugh, right in the middle of Kenai and Kasilof dipnet season, the middle of the July Kenai king run and the first big crush of reds up the Kenai along with bumper to bumper traffic in both directions from Anchorage to the Peninsula and back. Not to mention the parking/camping area at WG will probably be jam-packed with the "all summer long" squatters. Plus many families with visitors arriving too.

Is this an official date? It would seem like a late May (even better mid-May) or beginning of June choice would be more appropriate with early run kings moving along the beaches, Russian River early run reds migrating along the beach with no commfishing going yet and big halibut moving in close to gorge on hooligan and herring running in the shallows.

Of course Memorial Day weekend might not be the best choice either since the entire state dusts off the tackle and RVs and heads to the Peninsula for the opening of kings on the lower streams making finding a camping or parking spot very challenging (frustrating).  I'd like to see an early date that could be appropriate for folks getting their sea legs again and double checking the operation of all their gear before being thrown into the middle of that briar patch or tossed to the wolves (July).  ;D  And even more appropriate, getting reacquainted with old friends and making new friends with all of us newbies to the sport that have come aboard since last season.

Just my 2¢.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

Big Al

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: May 2016
I sure hope that's not the official date, I usually mark July 16th as the peak for dipnetting. I have my fingers crossed for a different tournament date.

AKFISHRIPPER

• Lingcod
  • Slaying fish and taking names
  • AlaskaKayakAnglers/ A.K.A
  • Date Registered: Sep 2011
My vote is for June 10th

jmbx2ditto

• Rockfish
Just refreshing this post.
If June 10th was a possibility I should be in the mix.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I still need to set dates for the 5th NWKA Alaska Yak classic...hmmmm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

katinalaska

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
I like June 10th as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Ok.  I'll be a good parent and say last weekend of june since the defending champion, Ryu will be in Japan on June 10.  Lol. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
Ok.  I'll be a good parent and say last weekend of june since the defending champion, Ryu will be in Japan on June 10.  Lol. 

Ooo, Alright!! Minus 5.8 and minus 5.9 tides at Deep Creek that weekend for a 27 foot swing in six hours. Biggest tides of the year. That ought to make the competition a little more challenging. heheh  I'll be in Kodiak loading up on dungeness crab @ 12 per day and engaged in my hunt for the 100# halibut.  No sense in thinking small. Don't have anything else on the agenda while over there other than one big lingcod too. Ha

jsfishndreams

• Herring
Ok so what is the official date?

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!

Ooo, Alright!! Minus 5.8 and minus 5.9 tides at Deep Creek that weekend for a 27 foot swing in six hours. Biggest tides of the year. That ought to make the competition a little more challenging. heheh  I'll be in Kodiak loading up on dungeness crab @ 12 per day and engaged in my hunt for the 100# halibut.  No sense in thinking small. Don't have anything else on the agenda while over there other than one big lingcod too. Ha

Bigger tides almost always has better fishing in my opinion.  Also for kayaks, it allows for the possibility cover MUCH more ground.  But yeah, you do have to be super careful for sure. 

KK,  are you going too have ferry issue with the delay in the Tustemena sailings.  I am having issue getting vehicles to COld Bay, AK for work because of the delay. 

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
KK,  are you going too have ferry issue with the delay in the Tustemena sailings.  I am having issue getting vehicles to COld Bay, AK for work because of the delay.

Uh oh, I haven't visited the Marine Highway page since last winter. I'm on their mailing list but received no notice of a Tustumena problem to date. Thanks for the heads up. I don't have my reservations set yet. The guy I spoke to last fall said with the frequency of their sailing schedule to Kodiak it wasn't necessary to book too far in advance if your schedule is flexible enough to move a few days in either direction.

I'll have to go check this complication out. Thanks again. It won't be a deal breaker if I would have to slide the dates since sport crabbing is open 365 over there but its nice to hit the lingcod opener before the big ones get thinned out by the PBs. A new reg this year reduced the rockfish limit to 4 in the Chiniak Bay region which is the main waters from town that everyone fishes. I just hate to have it interfere with Kenai dipnet season for me and the red run for my family coming up.

easyyakker

• Lingcod

Bigger tides almost always has better fishing in my opinion.  Also for kayaks, it allows for the possibility cover MUCH more ground.  But yeah, you do have to be super careful for sure. 

I agree. It seems the bite is better on the larger tides. The fishing window is shorter, and you have to make sure you time things right.

All I ask is that you choose a nice calm, sunny, Saturday for the derby. (Two out of three will do...I'm o.k. without the sun.) I don't ask much.

anything