Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:24:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: First time on a kayak in the Puget Sound  (Read 7358 times)

speak3asy

• Krill
  • Date Registered: May 2017
I finally had my first experience kayak fishing the Puget Sound this morning. After getting my gore-tex supernova in the mail last week I was dying to get out on the water. Trying to stick close to home, I passed on launching from both Des Moines and Redondo Saturday after a little scouting. Decided to go to Point Defiance this morning and ended up having a great time on the water.

I launched from Owen Beach a little after 7:30 and peddled the mile up to the point. I dropped jigs down to the bottom looking for lingcod/cab for about an hour. No luck there. Not really a surprise though. I have no idea what I'm doing as far as lingcod go. After that, I put a flasher and spoon behind 2oz of lead and trolled back and forth along the beach with all the boats out there. There was a lot of boat traffic out this morning! I only saw one fish hooked all day, though. I guess it's still too early. I did get one bite on the spoon. Just about ripped the pole out of my hands. But it didn't stick.  :'(

I peddled about 4 miles today but feel like I did 6 or 8. The current was moving a bit out there today. The hardest part, though, was getting my #$%!@ kayak back up the beach after the tide had gone down a ways. The gravel on that beach is a little deep. I was using the skinny hobie wheels and they just sank. Lesson learned. Today ended up being leg day :-[

I'm now looking at launching from dash point or maybe the tacoma narrows on the right day. Anyone here have any advise on launches in the south sound? Anyone want to fish the sound on the weekends this season? We're just getting started.

wreglmed

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
Way to get out there - clay banks from Owen beach was my first launch a few years ago - always interested in getting out on the water schedule permitting. I'm just outside Tacoma. Better fishing days are ahead on this part of the sound

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Hi Speak :) welcome...   There are a couple of places to launch over on The Other Side in Gig Harbor.  Two public docks, one next to the Tides Tavern and one at Skansie Park - parking is usually the challenge.  Also a nice boat ramp with dock over on the far side of the Harbor.  The boat ramp puts you about a mile from the harbor entrance, the docks are quite a bit closer.   Either way, you have access to the whole area across from Point Defiance on the west side of the Narrows.

I've done a fair amount of fishing out there - but very little catching.  Others do plenty of that, but I fear my role is to be a professional fish comedian since I can hear 'em laughing at me every time!

Jim
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

Aperlmut

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
Today was my first time out on the sound as well.    My son and I took my kayak out to Kayak Point and trolled up and down the shoreline.  I did't want to go too far out since I had my son AND I have no clue on tides and or currents work.   Overall, it was just like paddling on a lake.   I got three good bites and pulled out one salmon I think, see picture below.   

I was just trolling a rapala that I used on my lake...the thing is the ONLY lure i catch fish with!   I stepped up and ordered a couple more this evening that are specifically for Salmon.    I also ordered so scents to put on the lures which I've never done. 

Fun stuff.

wolverine

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
 Looks like a nice sea run cutthroat.

Swede

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
Be careful with what you pull out of the water. If you can't identify a fish as a legal keeper let it go, ideally still outside of the kayak in the water. The regs can be hard to understand but you don't want to be caught on the wrong side of them.

Widgeonmangh

• Lingcod
  • Fishing Kayaks of Gig Harbor
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Probably wouldn't want to post up on how that "salmon" tasted.
Fish on the right side that's where the fish are! John 21:6

I am no longer a dealer for Wavewalk but if you ever want to paddle one let me know!

speak3asy

• Krill
Thanks for the info, RoxnDox. I'll give Gig Harbor a shot.

I trolled around Poverty Bay over the weekend. A long shot for some late springers, I guess. Launching off the beach at Redondo was not bad. But I forgot the battery to my fish finder and was fishing blind all day. Not very productive ;)

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Fish are just starting to show up.  We managed a small Chinook and Coho Sunday, but the fish counters showed only 2 fish total for the near by boat launch points.  Guess I should count myself lucky.  These 2 were both 60 feet down in 90 to 120 FOW in the Point Defiance / Vashon area.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

gnomodom

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Nice to see fish coming on board!

speak3asy

• Krill
It was a beautiful morning on the south sound, today. No luck near Redondo Beach, though.

I will be fishing at the Point Defiance area again tomorrow morning. If you'd like to join me, send a PM. Or just show up at Owen beach.

Cheers!

speak3asy

• Krill
I fed an entire flat of sardines to the dogs, mooching and trolling Poverty Bay today. I'm not seeing a whole lot of action in MA11, yet.

I got happy for a sec every time one bit. But, these creatures sure don't put up much of a fight.  :P

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Once you're on the dogs, you gotta move a good ways, they tend to move around in groups.  I did pull a large Chinook out of a dogfish pile 2 weekends ago though.  Also consider switching to spoons since it take way less time to reset when you're bringing up the dogfish.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

gnomodom

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Looks like we have some big tides, the outdoor line said this will help push the fish into mid and south sound.

speak3asy

• Krill
I've seen couple reports on pinks from last weekend  ;D. Looks like things are picking up. I'll have to bring my fly rod along with me this weekend, just in case.

I got a shaker on a coho killer spoon last weekend. I think I might stick to trolling them for a while. I've also been trying Brad's cut plugs but haven't had anything stick, yet. I may need to change the way I'm rigging those.