Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:11:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: The Hobie Mirage Compass  (Read 3946 times)

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Looks like a nice kayak. Good to see hobie finally adding the tracks. A simple style without a bunch of extras. I may need to add one to my fleet.

https://www.hobie.com/kayaks/mirage-compass/
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Didn't see this before posting my other thread.

Looks like they were going for simplicity for sure. Sort of a blend of the Revo and the Outback with a little Pro Angler sprinkled in. MSRP will be $1949.

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
Didn't see this before posting my other thread.

Looks like they were going for simplicity for sure. Sort of a blend of the Revo and the Outback with a little Pro Angler sprinkled in. MSRP will be $1949.

and GT (forward only) drive, helping keep the cost down...
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Matt M

• Sturgeon
It also appears the seat is a one setting only rather than being adjustable. Not necessarily a bad thing, just something to point out.
-Matt

uplandsandpiper

There is a lot I like about this boat.

- Gear tracs
- Tons of deck space
- Stable enough to stand in
- Looks fast enough to troll with
- Lightweight
- Solid price point
- Lowance ready

This is a great addition to the lineup.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
There is a lot I like about this boat.

- Gear tracs
- Tons of deck space
- Stable enough to stand in
- Looks fast enough to troll with
- Lightweight
- Solid price point
- Lowance ready

This is a great addition to the lineup.

definitely a nice addition, sort of makes the Revo 11 seem out of place (or in need of an update): at $2349, 6" shorter, 5" narrower, same weight but 125# less weight capacity, and missing lots of features.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
I get making it cheaper, but it seems odd to me to have a dedicated fishing boat and not use the 180 drive since fishing seems to be the best application of that drive.  Otherwise looks like a nice update!

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
I would expect the Revo 11 to be a faster boat than the Compass. At 1" wider this may well be slower than the Outback by a hair, but it does away with a lot that you don't 't need from the Outback. Side trays, in-hull storage, sail mast. I do wish my Outback weren't so heavy and would happily give those up and pocket $500 at the same time.

Sent from my RCT6213W87M using Tapatalk

Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I'd like to see how the rudder system on the Compass is designed and functions.  The tilt and stow system on previous Hobie kayaks is complicated, exposed to damage, and somewhat delicate.  Is the new system better, and is the rudder big enough to control the kayak in wind and when downrigger trolling?  How do you raise and lower the rudder when coming into or leaving shore?  I only see one rudder control cord.

The front storage system is interesting.  The hatch in prior Hobie kayaks is a significant source of water leakage in big waves, or when the kayak is upside down.  The front storage area in the Compass provides for a sit-on-top kayak which is better sealed against leakage, but has less storage capacity in the bow.

It appears that the rear hatch has been reduced to a small control cable access hatch.  I have never stored gear under my rear hatch, but hope that the control cable access hatch is big enough and positioned properly to reach the control cables.

I suspect the Compass is fairly slow.  It's essentially the same length as the Outback, but an inch wider.  It's 5.5" wider than the 13' Revolution.

Its about time that Hobie started including gear tracks as standard equipment on a kayak.  Now they need to add gear tracks to the Revolution and the Outback.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
I would expect the Revo 11 to be a faster boat than the Compass. At 1" wider this may well be slower than the Outback by a hair, but it does away with a lot that you don't 't need from the Outback. Side trays, in-hull storage, sail mast. I do wish my Outback weren't so heavy and would happily give those up and pocket $500 at the same time.

perhaps but it looks to me like they put some effort into the hull design and that could make it glide better than expected from just the length and width 'rule of thumb'...

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Word from Hobie is that the Compass is comparable to the Outback in speed. Maybe slightly faster would be my guess.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 01:54:13 PM by rawkfish »

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Looks like NuCanoe Frontier and an Outback had a love child.
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Matt M

• Sturgeon
The lack of large access hatch in the back (or front) is a little surprising to me, I like to keep my battery back there and with the only access hatch in the middle it makes it difficult to access it. Sure you could keep it on the top deck somewhere, but that's a nuisance most of the time with cables going everywhere.
-Matt

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon

perhaps but it looks to me like they put some effort into the hull design and that could make it glide better than expected from just the length and width 'rule of thumb'...

That wouldn't surprise me one bit.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
The lack of large access hatch in the back (or front) is a little surprising to me, I like to keep my battery back there and with the only access hatch in the middle it makes it difficult to access it. Sure you could keep it on the top deck somewhere, but that's a nuisance most of the time with cables going everywhere.

Meh, put it in the center hatch. Kinda tough to get to stuff in there anyway, except for all you young flatbellies.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

anything