Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:01:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:27:54 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 08:37:24 PM]

[Today at 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 07:22:33 PM]

[Today at 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: The Hobie Mirage Compass  (Read 3970 times)

JasonM

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
On the topic of the Compass coming with the MirageDrive GT, I asked on the Hobie YouTube announcement video if there would be an option to upgrade to the MirageDrive 180 at purchase time and got this reply.

"Hobie will be shipping all the Compass kayaks with the MirageDrive GT but it's worth asking your dealer if they offer a plan to swap to drives. The MirageDrive 180 fits right into the Compass plug & play!"

Oh well, maybe dealers will see the need and offer it to keep it from being a deal-breaker for those considering other pedal kayaks at lower price ranges than the Hobie kayaks that come with the MirageDrive 180 from the factory.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
On the topic of the Compass coming with the MirageDrive GT, I asked on the Hobie YouTube announcement video if there would be an option to upgrade to the MirageDrive 180 at purchase time and got this reply.

"Hobie will be shipping all the Compass kayaks with the MirageDrive GT but it's worth asking your dealer if they offer a plan to swap to drives. The MirageDrive 180 fits right into the Compass plug & play!"

Oh well, maybe dealers will see the need and offer it to keep it from being a deal-breaker for those considering other pedal kayaks at lower price ranges than the Hobie kayaks that come with the MirageDrive 180 from the factory.

I'm still surprised that they don't just off all the kayaks with either drive and just adjust the price by the $150 difference in drive value...
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Low_Sky

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015

I'm still surprised that they don't just off all the kayaks with either drive and just adjust the price by the $150 difference in drive value...

As a customer, I would prefer this, but it puts a greater inventory burden on their dealers. They'd have to keep stock of more drives than kayaks, and those things aren't cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016 Hobie Revolution 16
2014 Perception Triumph 13

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011

If someone was interested in doing this I'm pretty sure the Kayak Shed would be willing to make the swap. John and his team are pretty great up there. I'd suggest just giving him a call if you're interested.

I like the looks of this boat. My kayak fishing mission for this year was to fish with my 3 year old and we've been using the I11 for our father and son trips. Although it's a pretty good platform, hooks and a 3 year old on the inflatable make me nervous. I'm thinking the compass may be a good option, lots of room in the rear and looks nice and stable. Kayak Shed also looks like they may now have them in stock...hmm...

https://www.kayakshed.com/product/hobie-compass-mirage-drive-kayak/

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
definitely a nice addition, sort of makes the Revo 11 seem out of place (or in need of an update): at $2349, 6" shorter, 5" narrower, same weight but 125# less weight capacity, and missing lots of features.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not all of us see greater width as a good thing!  ;)

ballardbrad

• Salmon
  • Kayak Fishing Washington
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Just seeing this thread now.  I had a chance to pedal and paddle the Compass at the release in Wisconsin.  It's a great kayak.  I own Pro Anglers and an Outback and it has elements of both with a few restrictions.

We had one in the RAM Mounts booth and it made it easy to rig with built in tracks.  Yeah, it doesn't have a sailing mast, side pockets or a front hatch.  You have to drill your own holes to run wires (but at least they give you the hardware screw in caps to do so).  The seat is fixed but it's a comfortable position - somewhere in the middle of the low and high option on an Outback.  The seat lacks the boa style adjustment and instead has adjustment straps on the sides.  My hips are a bit wider than most, so the seat is wider than the Outback/Revo.  Still comfy. 

I took it out on the water and it paddles and pedals great.  Rudder and hull design reminds me of the Pro Angler.  It turns great and the rudder tucks up underneath - no locking to secure.

Think of this is a blank canvass for your rigging.  At $500 difference, you can make up for it in accessories.

anything