Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:43:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Youngs bay  (Read 1468 times)

Casey

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
I'm going to head up to fish Youngs bay for coho tomorrow, it's open as of today. Do any of you know of a close place to put in? I've fished Youngs bay in the past, but only from a boat. According to my father in law I might have to pedal a ways to get out there. Also if anyone else is heading that way I'll be in a red Revo, and on Chanel 69

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
We held a salmon contest years back that launched from the "Astoria Yacht Club".  It's pretty ghetto but a fine place to launch a kayak.

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
How many days will you be up there Casey?  How long is coho open?? Cool place to go out kayaking - a friend that lives in the area has said she's seen kayaks catching fish on youngs bay before! Let us know how you do and what the launch is like (you'll probably say easy like boiler bay).

Casey

• Salmon
It was just a day trip, and I'm not too sure about how long coho is open. I was just following around my father in law. Coulda been a two day trip if the fishing was hot, but it really wasn't. The launch was super easy! I launched in Hammond just east of the harbor off a beach around 7:30 then trolled up along the chip pile. It was really calm and there weren't too many boats so I followed John out, and trolled the green line up towards the bridge, then cut over to Youngs bay around high slack. We fished in the bay till about an hour or two after high slack. The  wind started to pick up a little so I headed back down to Hammond, trolled out in front of the condos for a bit and called it a day around 2:30. I had one take down all day and it didn't stick. The pole didn't even bend over, just some fast tapping then it was gone along with the anchovy.
Even though it was a ton of fun kicking around on the Mighty Colombia, I'm thinking something like the Nestucca, or T bay will be better option for my next outing. Maybe I'll spend some more time up that way next year when the fishing's hot. There's still fish, but I think it's a little late in the season for up there, although I'm definitely not an expert on that.

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Were others catching them? I am curious if it finally died down. Last week was non-stop action for the first few hours.

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
We held a salmon contest years back that launched from the "Astoria Yacht Club".  It's pretty ghetto but a fine place to launch a kayak.

-Mark-

If you launch from there you really don't want to forget your paddle if you are in a pedal kayak. The eel grass in the bay was giving the pedal crowd a particularly tough time on the transit.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Casey

• Salmon
Were others catching them? I am curious if it finally died down. Last week was non-stop action for the first few hours.
The person I was following had one up to the boat that got off, and I did see a charter land one, both in Youngs bay. The day before John and his buddy caught limits out near the bridge on the green line. If it wasn't a three hour drive from here I'd consider giving it another shot. It's just kind of a long haul to fish a pretty tight tide/wind window. There are other options that make better since for me.