Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:23:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Trolling Pro Troll and Supper bait with The Shamono Tescata  (Read 2222 times)

sammyd64

• Southeast WA HOW Chapter Coordinator
  • Plankton
  • Heroes on the water south east wa
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Has any one used the Tescata 20-40 lb 100-150g jig Medium Fast to troll for Kings. It is a nice compact supper responsive pole! I am thinking of trying it?
Heroes on the water is in its infancy in Tri Cities we consist of local kayak anglers both veterans and non-vets with the desire to give our nations heroes a place in which healing is likely. Heroes on the water helps our nation’s heroes, veterans from all branches of the United States military, law enforcement and fire fighters unwind using the therapeutic qualities of fishing from kayaks. What looks like a day trip of paddling and fishing is in fact something much deeper and long-lasting.

sammyd64

• Plankton
Let me ask my question in a different way. Do you think its a bad idea or a good idea? Is 100 -150 g not enough?
Heroes on the water is in its infancy in Tri Cities we consist of local kayak anglers both veterans and non-vets with the desire to give our nations heroes a place in which healing is likely. Heroes on the water helps our nation’s heroes, veterans from all branches of the United States military, law enforcement and fire fighters unwind using the therapeutic qualities of fishing from kayaks. What looks like a day trip of paddling and fishing is in fact something much deeper and long-lasting.

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
I use a medium Trevala jigging rod with the Okuma Coldwater low profile reel, spooled with 50 pound power pro and love it.  Troll for kings, jig for rockfish/halibut, it covers them all.  The Tescata looks to have about the same action.
"If your hands ain't bleeding, you ain't fishing hard enough!"

sammyd64

• Plankton
I used it this AM but got skunked. It seems like a good thing well see when I get a fish on ;D

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
That is a short rod for trolling a flasher and leader plus the bumper IMHO.  I have a 9.5 foot 1-6 oz rod for trolling for salmon.  It is flexible and keeps the tension on while using barbless hooks on the Columbia.  I found with my shorter Shimano salmon rod, that I would loose fish far more often with  barbless.  Also, with a longer rod, you can use longer leaders.  If you are using barbed hooks, then some of the issues I mentioned may not apply.

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
That is a short rod for trolling a flasher and leader plus the bumper IMHO.  I have a 9.5 foot 1-6 oz rod for trolling for salmon.  It is flexible and keeps the tension on while using barbless hooks on the Columbia.  I found with my shorter Shimano salmon rod, that I would loose fish far more often with  barbless.  Also, with a longer rod, you can use longer leaders.  If you are using barbed hooks, then some of the issues I mentioned may not apply.

That is a good point.  We don't have barb restrictions up here.
"If your hands ain't bleeding, you ain't fishing hard enough!"

gnomodom

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I've become a fan of long rods. I went bottom fishing with my salmon rod, and appreciated the amount of control I could exert with relatively light drag. I have a decent wingspan being 6'2", so landing is probably less of an issue for me. As long as the rod has a good backbone, I think there is a benefit to the softer top third gives some advantage.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I like trolling breakfast baits way better than supper baits. But the Tescata should handle either.