Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:54:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:21:09 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 11:35:40 AM]

[Today at 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: "Buoy" science/math question  (Read 2595 times)

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Water is most dense at around 39 degrees F, so your buoy will support the most weight in water of that temperature.  At warmer and colder temperatures, as long as the water is liquid, your buoy will support less weight.  Of course, once the water temperature drops below 32 degrees F, the water will freeze, and the buoyancy of your buoy won't be an issue.

Somebody should chime in with some information about the difference between fresh water and salt water.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 08:21:14 PM by pmmpete »

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Get floating line and double your capacity of flotation? Subtract the weight of the trap, use live bait and teach it to swim.... not sure where I was going with that one but... whatever !?!?!? Devide by the tidal exchange in Tokyo harbor on the 12 of March and use enough line that all your gear can’t sink it. X pie cuz we all like pie ! :banjo:

If it was me I’d tie it on and if you can’t find it it wasn’t enough you.  >:D

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

PetitPoisson

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
LMAO, You guy's crack me up.  My day was absolute crap!  then I come onto the forum to find a pile of smart a$$ responses.  I really needed a laugh and you guys certainly provided me with that!

I may have been a bit off when I said it was the "perfect" buoy for a crab trap.  I certainly cannot write my name and number in 6" high numbers or letters...  Then again, I don't have 6" letters and numbers on my other crab trap buoy either!  It's small but it'll float a rope without a problem and I can certainly use this as a safety float for other items I don't wish to see sinking to the bottom of the ocean.  For $6 it'll work just fine for whatever it finally gets used for.

The site I pulled the 8 pound buoyancy rating from is here:

http://www.snlcorp.com/SNL/CommercialTackle/Floats.aspx

The one I picked up is obviously an older model (maybe it was rated for even more?!? haha).

The link above clearly states 8 pounds and I now figure it's possibly 5 pounds at best.  So how do they come up with 8 pounds  ???

As for weighting this thing down in a tub of water.  At some point, I certainly intend to try that (more for giggles 'n' shits than anything else).

This size of buoy cannot be inflated as it's a sealed unit.

Hobie Oasis (Le Phoque)
Hobie Adventure Fish (yet to be named)

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
LMAO, You guy's crack me up.  My day was absolute crap!  then I come onto the forum to find a pile of smart a$$ responses.  I really needed a laugh and you guys certainly provided me with that!

I may have been a bit off when I said it was the "perfect" buoy for a crab trap.  I certainly cannot write my name and number in 6" high numbers or letters...  Then again, I don't have 6" letters and numbers on my other crab trap buoy either!  It's small but it'll float a rope without a problem and I can certainly use this as a safety float for other items I don't wish to see sinking to the bottom of the ocean.  For $6 it'll work just fine for whatever it finally gets used for.

The site I pulled the 8 pound buoyancy rating from is here:

http://www.snlcorp.com/SNL/CommercialTackle/Floats.aspx

The one I picked up is obviously an older model (maybe it was rated for even more?!? haha).

The link above clearly states 8 pounds and I now figure it's possibly 5 pounds at best.  So how do they come up with 8 pounds  ???

As for weighting this thing down in a tub of water.  At some point, I certainly intend to try that (more for giggles 'n' shits than anything else).

This size of buoy cannot be inflated as it's a sealed unit.

I wasn't being a smart ass (as I usually am).
Did you look at the link I provided?

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

PetitPoisson

• Rockfish
haha, I didn't say all the responses were tongue in cheek.  I opened the link and started to read it.  Then my wife interrupted, then my son interrupted, then my daughter interrupted.  She's currently in a brace as she broke her collar bone when we were down in Mexico a couple weeks ago.  The brace just came out of the dryer and I just got her tucked into bed...  Time to see if I can make heads or tails out of that link you supplied.
Hobie Oasis (Le Phoque)

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Peti, I want to assure you that everything other than the scientific Wisconsin math suggestion was made with the full intention of providing a S-A response! :occasion14:

PetitPoisson

• Rockfish
Peti, I want to assure you that everything other than the scientific Wisconsin math suggestion was made with the full intention of providing a S-A response! :occasion14:

And the S-A response was appreciated.

I did read the link from Insayn and I need to figure out Mass before I can actually work out the equation.  Might be easier to just tie 5 or 8 pounds on and chuck it into a bucket of water.
Hobie Oasis (Le Phoque)