Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:55:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Can We Talk About Kayak Carts?  (Read 4355 times)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I swear I'm not over-thinking this one.

My favorite beach launch has about 200 feet of deep, soft, powdery sand to cross to reach the water and it makes launching and recovery a true butt pain.

A fat-tire cart would solve that, BUT (there's always a but) the trail up the dune is narrow and deeply cut into the dune, and I haven't seen a picture of a cart with fat tires that could fit that trail.  All the pictures show the cart wheels extending way wider than the kayak, and one fat tire down 12" on the trail and one riding up alongside the trail wouldn't be my idea of fun, and I don't think I could straddle the trail with both tires because of the shrubbery.

Is there a strap-on cart with sand tires that doesn't extend more than an inch - 2 inches at most - wider than the hull of a regular kayak, like my Tridents? 

I'd try building one except that's where the over-thinking always gets started and I'd like to use the cart sometime this year.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
Tinker, I've got one of these for my Slayer Propel13, just had to add 3 inch PVC to it to more easily fit the tunnel hull, but so far so good. There is a kayak store in Jersey that has developed and sells a conversion that utilizes baloon tires. Links below.

https://www.c-tug.com/products/c-tug-sandtrakz-kayak-cart/

https://thekayakfishingstore.com/product/tkfs-mullet-miller-cart/
"If your hands ain't bleeding, you ain't fishing hard enough!"

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
You could use a wheeleez balloon tire and fabricate something like this:

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Tinker, I've got one of these for my Slayer Propel13, just had to add 3 inch PVC to it to more easily fit the tunnel hull, but so far so good. There is a kayak store in Jersey that has developed and sells a conversion that utilizes baloon tires.

Thanks!  I've been keeping an eye on the C-Tug Mullet-Miller conversion but just can't seem to pull the trigger - mostly because I'm uncertain about the C-Tug itself.  Lots of folks using them like it, some don't seem to care for it at all.  How's it working for you?

Where in the world did you come up with that?  It's got to be a Santa Cruz accessory.  The frame looks custom fit for a Raptor - but the idea is great and that single wheel design would definitely do the job.  If I could put one together this year, anyway.  It's me, after all.    ;D

Thank you!

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Tinker, I've got one of these for my Slayer Propel13, just had to add 3 inch PVC to it to more easily fit the tunnel hull, but so far so good. There is a kayak store in Jersey that has developed and sells a conversion that utilizes baloon tires.

Thanks!  I've been keeping an eye on the C-Tug Mullet-Miller conversion but just can't seem to pull the trigger - mostly because I'm uncertain about the C-Tug itself.  Lots of folks using them like it, some don't seem to care for it at all.  How's it working for you?

Where in the world did you come up with that?  It's got to be a Santa Cruz accessory.  The frame looks custom fit for a Raptor - but the idea is great and that single wheel design would definitely do the job.  If I could put one together this year, anyway.  It's me, after all.    ;D

Thank you!
Not sure about anyone else but I love my C-Tug it hauls my Jackson Big Tuna “aircraft carrier” the Slayer Propel, and the Mariner Propel. I had TLW sew the two pieces of a regular kayak strap to the paddles after I cut it so no fiddling with a strap just put it under and buckle like you tie them down.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012

Thank you!
Not sure about anyone else but I love my C-Tug it hauls my Jackson Big Tuna “aircraft carrier” the Slayer Propel, and the Mariner Propel. I had TLW sew the two pieces of a regular kayak strap to the paddles after I cut it so no fiddling with a strap just put it under and buckle like you tie them down.

Tinker has to navigate 50 yards of steep ass goat track then 100 yards of beach to get to the water. A wheelbarrow low pressure balloon tire is ideal, just have to fabricate it. Some EMT conduit, a pipe bender, foam padding and a wheel in I think you’re in business.

If you get a hold of Baitman on NCKA he could probably give specifics, he’s the former owner of Santa Cruz kayaks and I got mine from him.

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
That single wheel design is pretty cool, but beware. The Wheeleez (30cm - 11.8") pictured has a max payload rating of 121lb and max inflation of 2-4 psi. You might consider double or even triple stacking (for better stability) the Tuff-Tires. They are much cheaper and foam filled, so no chance of a flat coming back up the trail when you are fully loaded. They would probably handle sand fine if you just put a nylon washer between them on the axle.

https://wheeleez.com/product/wz1-26tt-pc/
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 10:21:58 PM by Ling Banger »

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Come on Tinker.... do a DIY cart like the mono-wheelie shown above.  That would be excellent!!

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin

Thank you, Mojo.  And attaching a cargo strap to the C-Tug is a great idea!  Appreciate that information.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Tinker has to navigate 50 yards of steep ass goat track then 100 yards of beach to get to the water. A wheelbarrow low pressure balloon tire is ideal, just have to fabricate it. Some EMT conduit, a pipe bender, foam padding and a wheel in I think you’re in business.

If you get a hold of Baitman on NCKA he could probably give specifics, he’s the former owner of Santa Cruz kayaks and I got mine from him.

Thanks, crash!  I knew the owner of Santa Cruz was active on NCKA, but couldn't recall their pseudonym.  I'll chat with hm.  And I own a conduit bender!  Woo-hoo!

That single wheel design is pretty cool, but beware. The Wheeleez (30cm - 11.8") pictured has a max payload rating of 121lb and max inflation of 2-4 psi. You might consider double or even triple stacking (for better stability) the Tuff-Tires. They are much cheaper and foam filled, so no chance of a flat coming back up the trail when you are fully loaded. They would probably handle sand fine if you just put a nylon washer between them on the axle.

12lb?  Holy pneumatics, Ling Banger!  How do they support a kayak on the genuine Wheeleez carts?  Thanks, I'll definitely look into it more closely before I dive into the pool.

Come on Tinker.... do a DIY cart like the mono-wheelie shown above.  That would be excellent!!

I don't disagree, but how many years has it been since I started talking about a trailer?  The kid is coming in August and I've promised to take her saltwater fishing.  That's like a year, maybe 18 months, less than how long I need just to over-think a DIY cart...   :)   

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008

https://wheeleez.com/product/wz1-26tt-pc/

Those Wheeleez balloons are made with polyurethane and are quite tough.  The larger one mentioned being rated at 121 lbs is actually quite a bit of weight to handle solo.  I guess Tinker would have to weight his gear, boat and other stuff and see how close he is to that.  If he is way under that, he'll be fine.

He could easily double down on the 9.4" polyurethane Wheeleez balloons that are rated at 88 lbs each.  That would give him a nice buffer with 176 lb total capacity and slightly wider foot print if stacked side by side as well. 

If ordering from Wheeleez, I would highly suggest the 3/4" inch bushing in any tire chosen.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I guess Tinker would have to weigh his gear, boat and other stuff and see how close he is to that.  If he is way under that, he'll be fine.

He could easily double down on the 9.4" polyurethane Wheeleez balloons that are rated at 88 lbs each.  That would give him a nice buffer with 176 lb total capacity and slightly wider foot print if stacked side by side as well. 

If ordering from Wheeleez, I would highly suggest the 3/4" inch bushing in any tire chosen.

Good gracious!  If I had 121lbs of gear and boat, as soon as I sat down, the scuppers would look like old faithful spouting off!  I'd only be in trouble if I was riding in it, too.  Then I'd need at least three of those wheels.

Why do you suggest the 3/4" bushings?  Were those easier to work with when you built your cart?

Thank you.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 09:26:43 AM by Tinker »

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I guess Tinker would have to weigh his gear, boat and other stuff and see how close he is to that.  If he is way under that, he'll be fine.

Good gracious!  If I had 121lbs of gear and boat, as soon as I sat down, the scuppers would look like old faithful spouting off!  I'd only be in trouble if I was riding in it, too.  Then I'd need at least three of those wheels.

Why do you suggest the 3/4" bushings?  Were those easier to work with when you built your cart?

Thank you.

The 3/4" aluminum solid or tube is much stronger/rigid than the 1/2" of same material, yet minimal additional weight.  You (at least I) can bend shoulder width length of 1/2" steel or aluminum by hand.  It's nearly impossible for me to do the same with 3/4".  That and I recommend using and aluminum axle for corrosion resistance and the 1/2" aluminum isn't even close to the strength of 3/4" aluminum rod/tube.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014

I don't disagree, but how many years has it been since I started talking about a trailer?
I recall someone on here just built a custom one from scratch, give him a shout I’m SURE he’ll help you modify one in good shape or just build ya a custom one.  >:D

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
The 3/4" aluminum solid or tube is much stronger/rigid than the 1/2" of same material, yet minimal additional weight.  You (at least I) can bend shoulder width length of 1/2" steel or aluminum by hand.  It's nearly impossible for me to do the same with 3/4".  That and I recommend using and aluminum axle for corrosion resistance and the 1/2" aluminum isn't even close to the strength of 3/4" aluminum rod/tube.

Oh, so now you're threatening to kick sand in my face on the beaches, Superman?  Thanks for this.  Lower - or no - deflection is better, for sure.

I don't disagree, but how many years has it been since I started talking about a trailer?
I recall someone on here just built a custom one from scratch, give him a shout I’m SURE he’ll help you modify one in good shape or just build ya a custom one.  >:D

I asked you if you weld aluminum, Mr. Jojo, and if I remember correctly, you told me something like, "Piss off!"  Or the equivalent.  It's a tiny, little, weakling 4 cylinder motor in the Transit, Mojo - so weak that even I think about kicking sand in its face - I need the lightest possible trailer when I use that vehicle, otherwise you and I'd be talking because you do good work.  I'm so sorry.  It's not you, it's my car.    ::)