Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:17:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: crabhawk!  (Read 23317 times)

islandson671

• Heroes On The Water NWest
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
Here's one of my float set ups I use for HOW with 48' of line.
I got the floats off of eBay and painted them to meet regulation specs.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Quillback

Here's my setup with the Crabhawk:
I use a standard cannon ball or pyramid weight attached to the bait post.  Thus can easily change weights if necessary.
The buoy is a float used to train dogs for duck hunting.  I've added the red paint to conform to the regs.  The line is tuna leader (200#) from Ashaway Line &  Tuna Mfg (want the small diameter).
I use two Crabhawks 30' - 50' feet apart and just move back a forth between them.  Since I'm in the kayak I don't use a fishing rod for crabbing.
Just another alternative.

Romanian Redneck

• snoodleboob smoochy bear
  • Sturgeon
  • 2011 Hobie Outback & WS Tarpon 120
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Here's my setup with the Crabhawk:
I use a standard cannon ball or pyramid weight attached to the bait post.  Thus can easily change weights if necessary.
The buoy is a float used to train dogs for duck hunting.  I've added the red paint to conform to the regs.  The line is tuna leader (200#) from Ashaway Line &  Tuna Mfg (want the small diameter).
I use two Crabhawks 30' - 50' feet apart and just move back a forth between them.  Since I'm in the kayak I don't use a fishing rod for crabbing.
Just another alternative.

I like your setup. Especially how you have your weight rigged to be interchangeable.
200# tuna line sounds like it would be expensive and not easy to come by. I'm thinking of using a similar setup but with 80-100# braided instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RR's Channel         

"You break into my house, I will shoot you. My wife will shoot you and then spend thirty minutes telling you why she shot you."
- Jeff Foxworthy

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Tuna cord is probably cheaper and easier to handle than 100 pound braid. Any commercial fishing supply place will have it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
You can usually get 100 feet of 550 paracord for under $5.

Pine Cone

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
Thanks to everyone for info on what they are using for setting up their Crabhawks!

Got the two I ordered last week today and they look like they are well made.  With some luck on the weather side I will give them a test before the WA Crab season ends this year, but in any case I am ready for crabbing with the grandkids next summer.   

Thanks to NWKA for giving me a new way to go crabbing

weimarian

• Plankton
  • Northern California interloper
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
We were using the crab hawks here in cali but fish and game said illeagal to use :police: worked well with a short boat rod and old pitted large spool deep sea reel and 80 lb test line.  Hoping to get them legal here soon
Come fish norcal... Were friendly and share what fish we have left...

OlySpec

• FatYakker
  • Salmon
Haven't tried my crabhawks from a yak yet.  I have used them extensively off the Westport fishing pier with great success using a tiger rod and spinning reel with 50lb braid.  I actually build my own snares now that I use that I find more effective off the pier, but am going to switch over the 'hawks to a float and rope setup like the guys above have for crabbing from the yak this year.

Hobie Pro Angler
FatYakker's Journey - http://fatyakker.blogspot.com

“It is a crime to have amphibious power and leave it unused.”

— Winston Churchill

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Haven't tried my crabhawks from a yak yet.  I have used them extensively off the Westport fishing pier with great success using a tiger rod and spinning reel with 50lb braid.  I actually build my own snares now that I use that I find more effective off the pier, but am going to switch over the 'hawks to a float and rope setup like the guys above have for crabbing from the yak this year.

Tell us more about your home built snares!

I still don't get why one would use a crabhawk and float over a ring or pot.  Anyone care to enlighten me?

-Allen

Romanian Redneck

• snoodleboob smoochy bear
  • Sturgeon
  • 2011 Hobie Outback & WS Tarpon 120

I still don't get why one would use a crabhawk and float over a ring or pot.  Anyone care to enlighten me?

-Allen

I guess it's just for fun for some people. its also much cheaper overall than buying all the crab pot gear if you already have a heavier duty rod/reel. Plus if you don't have a kayak or power boat, you can cast these off piers and fish like you would for regular fish. Gives people without the ability to paddle out and drop pots a chance to still harvest crab.

RR's Channel         

"You break into my house, I will shoot you. My wife will shoot you and then spend thirty minutes telling you why she shot you."
- Jeff Foxworthy

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
I'm sure others have their reasons, but after using them at HOW events, I like them because they take up less space.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006

-Allen

I guess it's just for fun for some people. its also much cheaper overall than buying all the crab pot gear if you already have a heavier duty rod/reel. Plus if you don't have a kayak or power boat, you can cast these off piers and fish like you would for regular fish. Gives people without the ability to paddle out and drop pots a chance to still harvest crab.

Oh, I "get it" for off of piers.

-Allen

OlySpec

• FatYakker
  • Salmon

-Allen

I'll dig a couple out tonight when I get home and post a pic or two....not feasible for Yak use unless anchored as snares need to sit on the bottom not moving for a while, but deadly off of piers or banks.
Hobie Pro Angler
FatYakker's Journey - http://fatyakker.blogspot.com

“It is a crime to have amphibious power and leave it unused.”

— Winston Churchill

Skidplate

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2012
Ya, snares are great fun too. I've used them a fair amount from jetties and docks and found it was more fun than efficient. (but they can be effective) It's a lot like fishing when used on a rod since you feel them "bite", but many times we'd just chuck them out attached to string and have a competition to see who can get one in first. The fun part is that many times the snare doesn't always loop around a leg, but the crab is holding on to the bait box. They'll hold on until they get to the surface and then let go - makes for a great laugh.

I've made some home-made snares with limited success, but I'm still farting around with them. The problem with the cheap Danielson snares is the high profile, low weight, and crappy electrical terminals on the loops. However, since snares are easily snagged in jetty pilings, a cheap snare is less painful to lose than one you spent time on crafting by hand. But building it is part of the fun and my latest incarnation involves a heavy steel 3" lashing ring and 100 lb mono loops.

I've found more success with the crab-max since it's possible to get more crab in there in one pull and you can chuck it further from a pier than a set of rings. Then, of course, a pot from the yak I've found is the most effective. It just seems that the fun diminishes with the effectiveness; but having more crab is always a good thing.
My wife thinks fishing is merely guys wandering around like idiots swinging sticks in the air. Many of my trips prove how smart she really is.

CrabHawk

• Plankton
  • CrabHawk
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
Several of you hit it on the head.....there are many types of crab catchers out there and each one has pros/cons with its use. 

The CrabHawk was designed so that YOU can see and FEEL the crab in it so you know when to pulled it in.  It was also originally designed for the crabber that wanted to crab, but didn't have a boat and needed to have access to catch dinner!  Hence the original concept with a rod & reel.

It quickly became apparent to CrabHawk that many people were using it from all kinds of platforms (kayaks, docks, piers, boats, jetties, shore, etc) and with great success. They used the traditional rod/reel, but also handlines.

All though the CrabHawk is small, it's MIGHTY in what it does and the amount of crab you catch when using it. I can say this because you can see the action on your rod tip and know when to retrieve it....compared to pots/rings where the line and bouy don't tell you anything.  We don't take anything away for them though, as they are just as efficient and fun.

But from a YAK......that is an absolute GREAT time.  I love getting out on the water and I've learned more tricks on how to better use the CrabHawk and even be more efficient at catching dinner.  This is a direct reflection from my fello yak friends, Dino and all the other yakkers with Heros on the Water - NW Chapter......thanx to all of you and have a great 2013 from CrabHawk.
The CrabHawk is a castable crab catcher that's used with a rod n reel.  It works great from a YAK!

anything