Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:28:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Marine Area 7 Salmon(?)  (Read 10005 times)

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Didn't Kallitype sell one of those last year?

funny, as the car service was taking me to the house from SEATAC yesterday, we passed one exactly like that in the north end of Tacoma on 5. tall thin guy in maybe his mid-late 30's and hadn't shaved in a few days.....that wasn't you, was it Rory?
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Ha!  I'm with you on that YJ.  Breaking camp in the rain is the WORST. 

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • ADTA.org
heh, they should try it with a GP medium in the rain..   :o ??? >:D
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
heh, they should try it with a GP medium in the rain..   :o ??? >:D

GP Medium + Korea in the Winter.  When I remember things like that, I TOTALLY remember why I got out.  Oh and digging fighting positions in frozen dirt/rock is awesome too.

BorderYakker

• Krill
  • All Fish in photos are larger than they appear.
  • My Facebook page.
  • Date Registered: Jul 2010
Hey there, new to the group here.  :police:

This is my second season fishing from a kayak. This forum has been very interesting. I appreciate all of the info!

Tall man, I am in Bellingham too. Funny thing, I was fishing from the jetty in west port last weekend. I did see a kayak fisher go by while I was there. For info I caught some nice black rockfish while I was there. Best was Saturday around 9am. I started at 6 but it was dead until 9. Throwing gulp in brown and white. Will post pics when I figure all that out  ;D

I am going in the morning. Not sure where yet but I am going. Lol.

Let me know how you do locally. I will keep you posted. 
Always looking for new fishing spots and tactics. I pretty much catch and release everything.

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
How about this?  Camped next to me on the colorado river near Moab last month.  Young couple with lots of giggling in the night...
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

Rory

• Sturgeon
  • Rory's Internets Audio Blog
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010
How about this?  Camped next to me on the colorado river near Moab last month.  Young couple with lots of giggling in the night...

If this Honda's rockin...

Didn't Kallitype sell one of those last year?

funny, as the car service was taking me to the house from SEATAC yesterday, we passed one exactly like that in the north end of Tacoma on 5. tall thin guy in maybe his mid-late 30's and hadn't shaved in a few days.....that wasn't you, was it Rory?

Wasn't me but it will be soon!  I pick it up Monday.

This is my second season fishing from a kayak. This forum has been very interesting. I appreciate all of the info!

Tall man, I am in Bellingham too. Funny thing, I was fishing from the jetty in west port last weekend. I did see a kayak fisher go by while I was there. For info I caught some nice black rockfish while I was there. Best was Saturday around 9am. I started at 6 but it was dead until 9. Throwing gulp in brown and white. Will post pics when I figure all that out  ;D

I am going in the morning. Not sure where yet but I am going. Lol.

Let me know how you do locally. I will keep you posted. 

BorderYakker - well, welcome!  What a coincidence about being in Westport on the jetty at the same time.  If the kayak you saw was yellow, it was me!  That's great you got some Rockfish, definitely post pics when you can.

Let me know how you do.  I'm headed out to Point Migley myself.  There's the PSA salmon derby going on right now - not sure if that will be a good or a bad thing for me yet.  We'll see.  Anyway, let's fish sometime!

Cheers,
Rory
"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

jself

Now that Salmon is open here in the San Juans, I'm bent on catching some.  I've only targeted them twice thus far this year, and so far they have eluded me.  Hours pass by when I'm trolling a coho killer or mooching herring and I'm thinking about how much more fun I'd be having if I was fishing for cabezon, or greenling even. I do get the dogfish, which is better than NOfish but I want a damn salmon!  But I'm GOING to crack this...it's a matter of pride at this point.

I was out at Pt Whitehorn yesterday evening and I saw a few salmon jumping and tried to cast towards them with a buzz bomb, and also mooch thru there, but the area is so vast it seems very needle-in-a-haystack.  

I have primarily been dragging a banana sinker with flasher/coho killer combo or banana sinker with cut-plugged orange and red label herring, then casting a buzz bomb when I see the silvers jump (a la Mark's article in the recent NW Sportsman and also suggested by HBH).  I do have a downrigger setup that I need to get going, but it does add an extra layer of complexity to fishing.  I'd love to be able to mooch or troll effectively without it, if possible. If anyone has any other tackle ideas, let me know.

Let me know of any other places within range that I can try (Marine areas 7 and 8-1, and the east side of 6 are all do-able for day fishing from bham) that you know of.    I do realize we're fairly early in the season and things might pick up in August.  But I'd really love to dine on flesh of Salmon!  Might try Pt. Migley this weekend and hit up Clark Is. as well for cabs.

Any help appreciated!

PS check out my new ride.  I'm going mobile!  Unfortunately I will be on the east coast for the latter half of July so I won't get to try it out til August, but Oregonians will be seeing alot more of me!

I'm headed to Jones 7/14-19. NW side of Jones looks promissing, I'll be jigging green/chrome 2.5 oz pt wilson darts. Supposedly really good for nookies in the SJ's and can get bottom fish too.

Good luck!

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Did you replace the Scion Rory or is this a dedicated fishing transport?  Looks like Dana rubbed off on you  ;D  That should be an awesome rig for a nomadic angler.

I gotta admit I had camper envy when I saw dana's VW. I've been looking casually anyway because i really am not a fan of tent camping. Call me soft but i just hate waking up in the rain! I'll prolly hold on to the scion for a while.

Ya gunna go with a trailer too, like Dana does? 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Rory

• Sturgeon
  • Rory's Internets Audio Blog
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010

No, I want to try to keep the rig as compact as possible.  Going to mount Yakima bars with the boatloader like yakinitup has.
"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Does your Westy popup have the helper struts already installed?  They'll really help get the top up with the yakima bars and yak weight added.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

jself

No, I want to try to keep the rig as compact as possible.  Going to mount Yakima bars with the boatloader like yakinitup has.

If you want your kayak cradles to not roll on the bar when you're sliding the boat on them, I'd go with Thule. Yakima has round bars and all kayak saddles roll on the bar. Thule has square bars that keep the saddles from rolling over.

jself

I thought we were talking about marine are 7 salmon, not pop-up-trailers???

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Spent 2 days on Lopez, camped at Odlin ounty park Sun nite and Mon nite----3-4 foot waves, 25mph winds all day Sunday, did sneak out around dusk---nada.  MOnday was blown out, whitecaps all day.  Tues AM dawned (0500) partly cloudy, with calm seas, trolled up to and around the north end,, dragging a spoon---nada!   Saw lots of fish on the depthfinder in the 30-40 foot depth, no hits though.  Had to come home at noon, to finish tearing the drywall and insulation out of the main bathroom.

Upside---Odlin is a beautiful campground, nice sandy beach, lots of kayakers there, but all sea kayaks, no SOT's.  Beach-bunny factor fairly high, too!
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • ADTA.org

know you're a tall guy, but how high would the addition of bars and cradles make your Westy?? some ferries have major height penalties for anything over 7 ft. [ thats if you'd ever use a ferry]