Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:37:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: DIY Battery Box  (Read 101908 times)

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I'll probably end up going with this setup when I need a new battery.  A lightweight battery AND a battery management system at that price is tough to pass up.

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Romanian Redneck

• snoodleboob smoochy bear
  • Sturgeon
  • 2011 Hobie Outback & WS Tarpon 120
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Craig what did you use to seal make the point where the wire enters the box waterproof? Looks from the pic that it's zip ties?
RR's Channel         

"You break into my house, I will shoot you. My wife will shoot you and then spend thirty minutes telling you why she shot you."
- Jeff Foxworthy

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Seriously thinking about buying one of these.  Demonick, let me know which seller you picked and why.

I got the 9.8Ah because my current SLA is 7Ah.  I chose the vendor below because the price was one of the lowest, had a lot of customers, showed the label on the product, said it was NEW, and had high enough positive feedback.  Free shipping 3-4 weeks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220857050716

I also ordered 5 of the 2-pin waterproof connectors for $10.  Free 3-4 week shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320854063683
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

CraigVM62

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Craig what did you use to seal make the point where the wire enters the box waterproof? Looks from the pic that it's zip ties?

I used a pass through rubber grommet.   Grooved so it provides a good seal with the container.  I takes a  bit of effort to then slide the cable through, so a good seal there as well.   The zip tie on the back side is just a strain relief should the cable get tugged on.

The cheapest ebay sources I could find is $22.50 w/ free shipping for the 6800 mAh version from here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-12V-6800mAh-Li-ion-Super-Rechargeable-Battery-Pack-/200718455062?pt=US_Batteries&hash=item2ebbc09116#ht_3730wt_931

Lowest I could find for the 9800 mAh version is $32.99 w/ free shipping from here
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-DC-12V-Portable-9800mAh-Li-ion-Super-Rechargeable-Battery-Pack-2-/170794794136?pt=US_Batteries&hash=item27c429bc98#ht_3412wt_1103

I have looked over a good number of different ebay auctions for these "Blue Brick" batteries.  From the labeling they all look to be from the same manufacturer as those I buy.   So far I have had good results with them with no failures or DOA  which is surprising considering the low cost.

They all come with 2 leads, one has a Male and the other a  Female 5.5mm x 2.1mm connector.  If needed,  you can find easy to connect versions of these by searching "CCTV Power Connector" on Fleabay for around a $1 ea. with free shipping.   I would suggest a Female to tie in your Yaks electronics to the batteries Male lead.  That leaves the Female lead free to accept the Male Connector of the supplied charger.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 08:37:23 PM by CraigVM62 »
I used to think that Bigfoot might exist. Then I saw the reality shows where they are looking for them.  Now I am certain they don't

Romanian Redneck

• Sturgeon
^ Great idea. Do you mind if I steal it? :) I ordered a 2 pin connector like yours and plan on recreating the grommet seal. This is a great thread. Thanks for all the good ideas everyone.
RR's Channel         

"You break into my house, I will shoot you. My wife will shoot you and then spend thirty minutes telling you why she shot you."
- Jeff Foxworthy

CraigVM62

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
^ Great idea. Do you mind if I steal it? :) I ordered a 2 pin connector like yours and plan on recreating the grommet seal. This is a great thread. Thanks for all the good ideas everyone.

I wish I knew earlier.....    I have a couple extra pairs of water proof connectors as well as grommets and female power connectors.   Drop me a PM and I can send you what ever you still need.   
I used to think that Bigfoot might exist. Then I saw the reality shows where they are looking for them.  Now I am certain they don't

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
I ordered the same battery Demonick ordered.  Guess I need to order the female adapter too.

ConeHeadMuddler

• non-competitor
  • Sturgeon
  • Smells like low tide
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Ha. too late now for me to go to lithium ion. I already spent my $$ on the "old" sealed lead-acid system and some valuable time building it. I'm done!  There just ain't any extra time or $$ budgeted for any more batteries in my near future.
I still have to test mine out.

When making my box, I carefully cut my own grommets from 1/4" neoprene from an old diving wetsuit (the "old" denser neoprene that isn't used any more, since the new stuff is so much better).
I was able to cut a nice groove around the outer circumference using my fly tying scissors. Once my leads were installed with connectors on both ends, I sealed the grommets with goop.

Due to the weight savings, I would seriously consider lithium ion, if I hadn't already gone ahead and made mine. but I'm done messing with it. I know the one I made will work fine. I'm good with it. I will always be removing it before loading/unloading my yak from my trailer, and I use a beach cart, so the weight will not be a problem.

ConeHeadMuddler

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Be sure to check your local hobby shops that sell RC cars, boats and planes.  They should have a good variety of Lithium-Ion and Lipo batteries to choose from.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

demonick

• Sturgeon
Just ordered 5 male-female pairs of the CCTV connectors - total $5.83
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220920657293
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320819287738

PS: 21 June - I have NOT yet received these connectors.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 12:12:14 PM by demonick »
demonick
DomenickVenezia.com

Romanian Redneck

• Sturgeon
Finally finished my battery box. Big thanks to Lee for sharing his design and everyone who contributed their ideas along the way.

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RR's Channel         

- Jeff Foxworthy

ConeHeadMuddler

• non-competitor
  • Sturgeon
  • Smells like low tide
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Lookin' good. Mine is very similar to yours and Lee's.
ConeHeadMuddler

Dray

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
I got the 9.8Ah because my current SLA is 7Ah.  I chose the vendor below because the price was one of the lowest, had a lot of customers, showed the label on the product, said it was NEW, and had high enough positive feedback.  Free shipping 3-4 weeks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220857050716

I also ordered 5 of the 2-pin waterproof connectors for $10.  Free 3-4 week shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320854063683

demonick, you get the battery yet...how's it work?
Dave

demonick

• Sturgeon
demonick, you get the battery yet...how's it work?

Not yet.  I got a shipping notification the day after making the order.  Much that is shipped free from China comes by boat.  I did receive the 5 sets of 2-pin waterproof connectors.  Nice product.  I think they may make a better power/charging solution than the marine grade power plugs I have used on my Revo and T13.  They require a much smaller hole and seem like they would seal better with less effort than the marine grade power plug. 

Still waiting on the battery and the CCTV connectors.
demonick
DomenickVenezia.com

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
I had a missed delivery notice yesterday as well, so it's either the female adapters or the battery.  Hopefully I'll have it all good to go by Sunday.  This weekend looks pretty good for fishing.

anything