Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:04:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jed
[Today at 01:45:57 PM]

[Today at 12:21:09 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 11:35:40 AM]

[Today at 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Kayak fishing camping ideas  (Read 37551 times)

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Hello All,

I have been wanting to plan a 3-day kayak fishing and camping trip for when i return to Oregon.  I was wondering if anyone knew of a river that would allow me to float most of the way without having to get out and walk the kayak around rapids.  Or is there a chunk of river that could sustain me for 3 days.  I was thinking maybe the John Day river but am open to many ideas, even a lake if the fishing is good enough .  I will be in the portland area but am open to driving to far locations.  Thanks for your help!
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I have been wanting to plan a 3-day kayak fishing and camping trip for when i return to Oregon.  I was wondering if anyone knew of a river that would allow me to float most of the way without having to get out and walk the kayak around rapids.  Or is there a chunk of river that could sustain me for 3 days.  I was thinking maybe the John Day river but am open to many ideas, even a lake if the fishing is good enough .  I will be in the portland area but am open to driving to far locations.  Thanks for your help!
Members of the forum have recently done multi-day fishing trips on the John Day, and will probably provide information about floating that river.  Another option is sections of the Grande Ronde river at moderate to low levels, which is a very scenic multi-day float.  There are a couple of rapids which are rambunctious at higher levels, but are pretty trivial at lower levels.  Check the descriptions of different sections of the river in guidebooks to choose sections of the river with a level of difficulty which you're comfortable with.  Here are some pictures from a trip I took on the Grande Ronde a couple of years ago.

This is one of the bigger rapids on the river at high levels, but is a Class II riffle at lower water.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 02:04:58 PM by pmmpete »

FireFly

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Hello All,

I believe KayakShed puts on a yearly camping float on the John Day.....others may chime in as I do not remember the specifics but as I recall it sounded like a blast!
Red Hobie Outback

2019 AOTD 5th place

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
The Willamette is a multi-day kayakable river.  Lots of books about camping and all the details.  That could be many days depending on what stretch you wanted to float.  I saw the books at Next Adventure detailing the entire river.  I fish a few sections of it at different times of the year, very easy kayaking.

• WS Commander 120, OK Trident 13, Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
The Willamette is a multi-day kayakable river.  Lots of books about camping and all the details.  That could be many days depending on what stretch you wanted to float.  I saw the books at Next Adventure detailing the entire river.  I fish a few sections of it at different times of the year, very easy kayaking.

All you ever wanted to know right here. :thumbsup:
Better to keep ones mouth shut and presumed a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
<Proverbs>

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
Wow!! Thanks for all the replies. Nyg at off you attached of the willamete is awesome!!  I will look for future trips that people may put together. For now I am going to study that off and stop by next adventure and pick up a book. That way I can feel really prepared. Thanks for your help!!!!
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

cdat

Be nice to post that link as a "sticky" somewhere on the forum

John

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
Be nice to post that link as a "sticky" somewhere on the forum

John

Agreed, what a great resource. I was looking at it and it would be fun to drop in Salem and finish in downtown Portland area.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013

All you ever wanted to know right here. :thumbsup:

See also: http://willamettewatertrail.org/

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
Thanks captain redbeard!!  That seems to be another great resource!  I like the link about itinerary inspirations. Does the website have a sticky for kayak camping? These would be great resources!
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Thanks captain redbeard!!  That seems to be another great resource!  I like the link about itinerary inspirations. Does the website have a sticky for kayak camping? These would be great resources!

Paging admin Spot, you're wanted in the Oregon Kayak Fishing thread...

Bushy

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Gotcha covered Mark.  Now lets go fishing!

Bushy

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
There's a group (can't remember the details) that does a kayak version of Cycle Oregon on the Willy, think it takes 4 or 5 days. Seems to be more the SINK crowd.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I've done a week long trip down the Willy water trail with my daughter and DTS and his daughter.

We started just above the Mckenzie confluence down to Corvalis over the course of a week, camping on islands along the way. DTS and his daughter continued on for another week without us down to Independence, as we had to get off the water due to a family emergency.

Must say it was a blast!  Will do again with my son soon.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Dan_E

• Lingcod
  • Formerly known as Indyflyer
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
There's a group (can't remember the details) that does a kayak version of Cycle Oregon on the Willy, think it takes 4 or 5 days. Seems to be more the SINK crowd.

That is Paddle Oregon in August by the Willamette Riverkeepers.