Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:04:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 19, 2024, 09:27:54 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: New Lexa lowprofile line counter  (Read 3519 times)

• WS Commander 120, OK Trident 13, Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Ok Daiwa Prostaff... What's the deal on this new reel? I know its not released yet but I cant find any information on them anywhere. Maybe I'm missing something but ORC was the first I've heard of them. Not announced so far at Icast either. Surprised there's not more of a "buzz" about them.
Better to keep ones mouth shut and presumed a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
<Proverbs>

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009

Ok Daiwa Prostaff... What's the deal on this new reel? I know its not released yet but I cant find any information on them anywhere. Maybe I'm missing something but ORC was the first I've heard of them. Not announced so far at Icast either. Surprised there's not more of a "buzz" about them.

What do you want to know?
It will be available in October of this year at the earliest. Left or right hand retrieve. It will have a clicker, more drag than you'll ever need in a kayak. MSRP will $220 if I recall correctly. I have a spec sheet I can attach when I get home. I am surprised I can't see anything about it on their website.

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Here's a little preview for you....
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
Thanks, Mark.  Looks like my price sheet actually says MSRP should be $199.95.  I'm guessing it won't be too hard to find it for a little less than that at a sale.
The Fish-Field Facebook page has some pics of it from today at ICast2016.

2011 Angler Of The Year
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
I've been holding off on my Team Daiwa order just so I can make sure to get one of these bad boys.  I CAN'T WAIT!!!

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

• WS Commander 120, OK Trident 13, Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Comparing in the lineup it looks like its based on the original Lexa (not the HD version). But it is interesting to note that it has a lower gear ratio. Not so sure about the drag system with a different name; Ultimate Tournament Drag System vs Micro Click Star Drag.

Either way, I like it! Looks like one to add to the arsenal!
Better to keep ones mouth shut and presumed a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
<Proverbs>

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
This seems like a competitor to the Okuma Coldwater low profile line of reels that are quite popular. Interesting to see how it stacks up.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
This seems like a competitor to the Okuma Coldwater low profile line of reels that are quite popular. Interesting to see how it stacks up.

You will notice lots of similarities if you compare the two. Best part is it isn't a Coldwater.  ;)

2011 Angler Of The Year

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com

Comparing in the lineup it looks like its based on the original Lexa (not the HD version). But it is interesting to note that it has a lower gear ratio. Not so sure about the drag system with a different name; Ultimate Tournament Drag System vs Micro Click Star Drag.

Either way, I like it! Looks like one to add to the arsenal!

From what I understand it is based on the original Lexa, not the HD but the pics I've seen from ICast make it look like it will at least have the polished blue finish of the HD so not sure.
Lower gear ratio for more power to handle big fish. Most salmon reels are somewhere between 5 and 6.5 to one.
The Ultimate Tournament Drag simply means it comes with the same high quality carbon fiber drag washers the other Lexas have instead of felt or something else. The micro click star drag just describes the star drag piece.

2011 Angler Of The Year

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
This reel worked flawless for my son.  It was the first test drive of the reel and my son is super picky.  He used to use the Okuma Line counter (not the low profile) which he liked a lot.  He said the Daiwa was smoother on both retrieve and when the fish took line. 

One time out isn't a definitive review, but so far 100 points out of 100.  He won the youth Division of a pwoerboat derby with it yesterday.

Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com