Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:41:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Since sand lances seem to be on the menu...  (Read 3409 times)

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
Thanks for all the posts...since I can't get out much, I have to live vicariously through y'all.  :sleepy3:

I get in a lot of research, but not a lot of application.

Seems to be a lot of kings being caught lately with bellies full of sandlances. Thought I'd share a new (to me) tackle source I found...

http://www.aptackleworks.com/
"If your hands ain't bleeding, you ain't fishing hard enough!"

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Oooooooh! That would be awesome in July for Chinook that stage just off river mouths!

I'm gonna have to order some of those.  Thanks for the link!

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Do those have an action similar to an apex?

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
Do those have an action similar to an apex?

Haven't tried them yet...I've got so much unused gear, reckon I'd get in trouble with the Mrs. if I bought a bunch more just because.

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016

These are a soft bodied swim bait in sandlance I've only tried on one power trolling trip in late fall of 2014 while feeder king fishing in Kbay. It ended up catching a black rockfish, a cod, and a ping pong paddle that day but no kings. I need to run these behind my Gopro downrigger system and see what's going on with the fish and the strike zone. I've added the extra salmon hook because so many kings are short strikers but it may not be back far enough. I might have to run it back farther with a dacron extension. I have some very tiny rubber bands that I loop over the tail and then over the trailer hook to hold it close to the body but the plastic oils eventually eat the rubber band so its just a daily fix.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

AKFishOn

• Lingcod

These are a soft bodied swim bait in sandlance I've only tried on one power trolling trip in late fall of 2014 while feeder king fishing in Kbay. It ended up catching a black rockfish, a cod, and a ping pong paddle that day but no kings. I need to run these behind my Gopro downrigger system and see what's going on with the fish and the strike zone. I've added the extra salmon hook because so many kings are short strikers but it may not be back far enough. I might have to run it back farther with a dacron extension. I have some very tiny rubber bands that I loop over the tail and then over the trailer hook to hold it close to the body but the plastic oils eventually eat the rubber band so its just a daily fix.

Those look edible to me KK. But I can see where short biters could be annoying. Maybe a treble stinger on braid with one hook point buried closer to the tail. The treble on braid shouldn't impede the paddle tail too much.

polyangler

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Have any if you seen these? I didn't find them until the king run was more or less done for us, but I plan to try one next season.

http://www.kingkandylures.com/uploads/4/0/3/2/4032377/s280656243673990619_p10_i1_w648.jpeg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

[img width=100 height=100]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/saltyplastic/NEMrod

Skidplate

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2012
Have any of you seen these?

I've seen and fondled them in the store, but not fished them. They're a Brad's knockoff (ironically) and I thought they looked like a higher quality bait for the money. They make a plugcut version as well.
My wife thinks fishing is merely guys wandering around like idiots swinging sticks in the air. Many of my trips prove how smart she really is.

polyangler

• Sturgeon
I put my hands on these and the plug cut as well. I agree they seem to be higher quality than Brad's, and the rigging straight from the box appeared solid too. Guess I should have specified that when I posted this [emoji6] 

Hope to play with them a bit during the 2017 season. Seems like they would be lethal, especially in the south sound where sand lance can be thick!

[img width=100 height=100]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/saltyplastic/NEMrod

gnomodom

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Wouldn't a coho killer spoon work in the same context?

tsquared

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
Those AP spoons are used extensively around here(they are made in Victoria), all three versions: the sandlance, the herring and the anchovie. They are great spoons. Andrew makes different sizes for the herring spoon, which you can switch out as the herring get bigger as the season progresses.
T2

polyangler

• Sturgeon
Wouldn't a coho killer spoon work in the same context?
I believe the rotation speed, axis, and overall profile would be different. That's all speculation though since I've not run them all.

SwansonSilver

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
Have any if you seen these? I didn't find them until the king run was more or less done for us, but I plan to try one next season.

http://www.kingkandylures.com/uploads/4/0/3/2/4032377/s280656243673990619_p10_i1_w648.jpeg

I've had good luck with the king kandy. Caught my 3rd place derby king this spring using it. My only complaint is that it seems like you need to troll fairly fast in order for it to have the right action.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga except I get to kill something.
-Ron Swanson

gnomodom

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015

I've had good luck with the king kandy. Caught my 3rd place derby king this spring using it. My only complaint is that it seems like you need to troll fairly fast in order for it to have the right action.

I read blackmouths want slightly faster trolling (deeper too). I am guessing these are particularly good for that target from stitching together random bits of info. I'll give it a go when it opens in November.

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
Those look edible to me KK. But I can see where short biters could be annoying. Maybe a treble stinger on braid with one hook point buried closer to the tail. The treble on braid shouldn't impede the paddle tail too much.

I like the idea of a treble stinger in the tail. Perhaps a light wire treble that would not be too intrusive to the look or action.  I'll have to rig one up that way for a comparison test.

Dang, have you seen the Marine Forecast for KBay this week?  Today....1 foot seas!  I guess I better finish raking the leaves in the yard and get the boat hooked up and head south maybe Thurs. Glassy waters are too tempting to pass up. But since I have so many experimental tackle rigs to try and really need the Gopro watching what responses I may get, I'll have to take the river boat for some serious filming and testing. My cam system runs with a 12# weight and that would capsize my Outback. lol  Not ready to practice my self rescue tactics for now.

TODAY  VARIABLE WIND LESS THAN 10 KT. SEAS 1 FT. 
TONIGHT  NE WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.  THU  NE WIND 10 KT
IN THE MORNING BECOMING VARIABLE  LESS THAN 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT. 
THU NIGHT AND FRI  VARIABLE WIND LESS THAN 10 KT. SEAS 1 FT. 
SAT  E WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~