Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:25:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Personal best King, again  (Read 2040 times)

Fishapalooza

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015

easyyakker

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: May 2016
Nice. Looks like you're dialing it in.

I'm getting ready to head out the door and try to find one of those ::)

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
We picked up one ten pounder in an hour of fishing yesterday.  Luke's fish was a dandy! Great job! We are trying to motivate to hit it again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
WHOA, blow me down mate. That is a wallapalooza of a king, and a whitey at that.  ;D  Big congrats. October and November are the peak months of this fishery so that catch could be an omen of things to come.  You are starting to set that bar pretty high!
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

Fishapalooza

• Herring
It's Hogtober! Let's fish!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

Fishapalooza

• Herring
It sure makes up for a terrible coho season lol. Another kayaker, Katherine, caught some video as I was netting him.

Fishapalooza

• Herring
WHOA, blow me down mate. That is a wallapalooza of a king, and a whitey at that.  ;D  Big congrats. October and November are the peak months of this fishery so that catch could be an omen of things to come.  You are starting to set that bar pretty high!
An hour before, I lost something as big or bigger. It stripped 2 hooks off a 30# leader, running the same way this one did. Could have been a halibut, could have been a hog king. Missed fish is the stuff that sticks with me, cause I'll never know for sure. Which makes downrigger cams a good idea.

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
An hour before, I lost something as big or bigger. It stripped 2 hooks off a 30# leader, running the same way this one did. Could have been a halibut, could have been a hog king. Missed fish is the stuff that sticks with me, cause I'll never know for sure. Which makes downrigger cams a good idea.

Hmm, might have been a dogfish or salmon shark. But let's say it was a 30# king!  ;) Indeed the "not knowing" is the killer. And too, a downrigger cam always turns up so many interesting things going on down there, even on a day when you never got a single hit or take down. I've seen common mures flying underwater chasing the bait and a salmon shark shadowing the herring for a long way before disappearing.

Low_Sky

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Klondike Kid, did you DIY your downrigger go-pro mount or buy something off the shelf?  I've been kicking around the idea of making one for a while but haven't decided if I want to make a simple housing to attach behind my cannonball or make a housing with weight built in that would replace my cannonball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016 Hobie Revolution 16
2014 Perception Triumph 13

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
Klondike Kid, did you DIY your downrigger go-pro mount or buy something off the shelf?  I've been kicking around the idea of making one for a while but haven't decided if I want to make a simple housing to attach behind my cannonball or make a housing with weight built in that would replace my cannonball.

Low_Sky yeah I made up a DIY rig kinda sorta based on the design shape of the Troll Pro unit. But that unit is very awkward and not designed for an actual downrigger - more for dragging behind a boat at shallow depths filming umbrella rigs and trolling for marlin and other billfish at high speed. I incorporated a 12# fin ball into my housing as a single streamlined unit with almost zero additional drag (no added blow back) after adding the housing and camera. Its just my prototype but worked so good "right out of the box" I've not gotten back to the work bench to build the final version with a bit more refinement in the next model. Took me a lot of mental engineering and 10 days to finish the construction.  I run an older Hero 2 with a battery back pack (2nd battery) which gives me nearly 4 straight hours of continuous filming, or longer if I turn off the camera during the times on the surface while fighting and landing fish. Here are a few clips I just put together from a late October trip up by Bluff Point & Anchor Point in 2014 on my friend's charter boat on a fun fishing day.  There are volumes of knowledge to gain from UW video. Especially if you change out the terminal tackle often to experiment with how the fish are attracted to, accept and respond to various lures and baits. But because this is a 13 pound rig, its not adaptable to my kayak so I'll have to continue to use it on my power boat setup. That's best anyway because my saltwater tackle box of gear including experimentals weighs about 20 pounds by itself and I need a lot of space to sort through the options available.  On the day these fish were shot it appeared the bait on the downrigger cam "seemed" to be attracting more fish than the other 3 downriggers we were running at the same time. And you can see one fish coming from back where another bait was to come to the cam bait. Maybe they were just vane and wanted to be in the spotlight. :D

Lots of noise and changing pitches depending on running with the tide or against it and what speeds the boat is moving. Almost sounds like whales.....or maybe a DINNER BELL~!  ;)  But when it comes to kayak downrigger fishing, with many anglers using spectra line instead of a wire, I'll bet its 10X quieter. Noise must be a factor but....good or bad?

I had another idea for a prototype using a PVC tube filled with shotgun BBs but the rig was over 2 feet long just to accommodate 12 lbs. of lead without the camera housing. I might consider building my own mold and create a special shaped weight that is designed to house a cam with a minimum of pvc materials to keep it more compact.

[BTW, for those using or planning to use a Gopro on a downrigger, I always film in 960 resolution setting. This provides a frame that is taller than 1080 or 720 and as you can see, depending on how high your line release is above the canon ball and the angle of the camera you can miss a lot of action when filming in a 16:9 format.]