Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:05:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: So I decided to cut some holes in my new 1500 dollar kayak!  (Read 5842 times)

Jay03

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jan 2015
Recently got a new Wilderness Systems Thresher 140. Love the kayak so far but it came pretty simple from the factory. I added a hatch and flush mount rod holders. I'm going to add two more aiming straight back right behind these. Turned out good. Cutting holes in my kayak seemed like a crazy thing to do but it went fine. I only cried a little... Haha
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 12:25:56 AM by Jay03 »

Jay03

• Herring
More pics. They ended up out of order. But I'm sure you get the picture.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 12:29:29 AM by Jay03 »

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
nice.  nothing better than making something better. 
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011

yakbass

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Isn't it funny that the first thing we do is punch holes in our new toys.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Nice clean install.

When I get to drill holes and add accessories to a new kayak, to me it is like having something really tasty in front of me and then adding BACON!!!   

:headbang:

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
Nice installs.  I've been wanting to put a square hatch on my Outback but I can't bring myself to cut a hole that big in my boat.  Some day...

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

• Visits from AZ
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
Welcome to the T140 club. I love mine. You will have a blast with it. And customize away!
2010 OK Scupper Pro
2015 Wilderness Thresher 140

gnomodom

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I was thinking about installing that hatch behind the seat as well. What do you plan on using it for?

• Visits from AZ
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
I use mine just to vent it during storage. Also gives you access to the inside for installation nuts where you don't want just pop rivets.
2010 OK Scupper Pro
2015 Wilderness Thresher 140

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
  • Hobie Tandem Island, Hobie Outback
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
Nice installs.  I've been wanting to put a square hatch on my Outback but I can't bring myself to cut a hole that big in my boat.  Some day...

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

My outback has a small amount of flex in the area of the round center hatch. From what I've seen, adding the square hatch may beef it up a bit. Can anyone confirm that?
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Said the water rat.  The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame,

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016

My outback has a small amount of flex in the area of the round center hatch. From what I've seen, adding the square hatch may beef it up a bit. Can anyone confirm that?

It definitely adds a rigid frame in that area. I have friend that upgraded his 2016 outback to the square hatch and has been really happy with it thus far. I just texted him and he says he can't recall that area being flexible before, but it definitely isn't now from what he says.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
  • Hobie Tandem Island, Hobie Outback
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

It definitely adds a rigid frame in that area. I have friend that upgraded his 2016 outback to the square hatch and has been really happy with it thus far. I just texted him and he says he can't recall that area being flexible before, but it definitely isn't now from what he says.

If I lean or push on that area, with or without the hatch open there is some flex. I will be upgrading to a square hatch and firmly believe that as well as giving more useful access to that space it will beef it up from what your friend says.
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Said the water rat.  The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame,

Jay03

• Herring
I was thinking about installing that hatch behind the seat as well. What do you plan on using it for?

What desertpaddler said, gave access to bolt down the rod holders. I have since added two more for a total of four flush mounts. The hatch kit comes with a dry bag on a tether cord that fits in the mounting ring under the lid so If needed I can toss a few things in there while out paddling that I want to stay dry and won't necessarily need constant access to(car keys, wallet, a few emergency items) that sort of stuff.

yakbass

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015

What desertpaddler said, gave access to bolt down the rod holders. I have since added two more for a total of four flush mounts. The hatch kit comes with a dry bag on a tether cord that fits in the mounting ring under the lid so If needed I can toss a few things in there while out paddling that I want to stay dry and won't necessarily need constant access to(car keys, wallet, a few emergency items) that sort of stuff.
Make sure to put your keys in something dry. I have had those hatch bags before. They are not very watertight if there is any water in the hull everything in the bag will get good and damp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk