Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:56:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Portage Lake  (Read 1811 times)

AOGOR

• Alaska Outdoor Gear -Outfitter and Rentals
  • Herring
  • Alaska Outdoor Gear -Outfitter and Rental
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Over the weekend our staff member and a few friends took a few kayaks out to explore Portage Lake. The sit on top kayaks not only make a good platform to fish from but do well for exploration.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 11:16:04 AM by AOGOR »
AUTHORIZED DEALER: Vibe Kayaks; Necky Kayaks; Old Town Kayaks ; Malibu Kayaks; Yak Attack; Yak Gear; EGO; Stohlquist

www.alaskaoutdoorgearrental.com
https://www.facebook.com/AlaskaOutdoorGearRental/

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
That's awwesome!  great pics!!!!
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
NOTE: Not trying to be a party pooper or rain on anyone's parade but:

I must post a note of warning here about the Federal restrictions in effect regarding boating on Portage Lake. 

Currently Paddle Only watercraft are allowed on Portage Lake and they are restricted to a narrow corridor along the Northeast side (PWS side) of the lake and may only travel as far as the trailhead of the Portage Pass Trail. The entire remainder of the lake is off limits to all watercraft except the glacier tour boat. The only allowed launch site is at the parking lot past Placer Creek at the tunnel side of the lake. (See map)

The wording of this Forest Order clearly states that mechanical devices to propel the watercraft, which would include Hobie Mirage Drives, are prohibited at this time. Hobie folks would have to paddle.

I just got off the phone with David Ilse, the Public Services Staff Officer, who is assigned to the Glacier Ranger Station at Girdwood to discuss these prohibitions and restrictions.  Here are some things kayakers might be interested in:

1) Because the Order was initiated prior to the invention of Mirage Drives and other kayak companies' pedal powered propeller drive innovations, the current prohibition of these devices is not keeping up with the times and is "outdated".

2) The Chugach Forest and Ranger personnel have received public input requesting a more relaxed opportunity to use kayaks on Portage Lake and the Rangers are aware of the latest kayak propulsion innovations that require consideration and inclusion as allowed devices on a non-powered watercraft.  They are also aware of and considering Stand Up Paddleboarders too!

3) The current restricted area of the lake is primarily due to safety considerations because of the glacier tour boat that navigates five trips a day to the glacier face. Boat wakes and potential collisions are the issues. I assume a specific set back distance from the glacier face is also at the forefront of their safety concerns for kayakers due to calving.

4) Because the Glacier Tour boat operates from mid-May to mid-September there are "potential opportunities" to provide kayak boaters access to all parts of the lake during the open water periods when the tour boat is not seasonally operating. (Maybe even after hours but probably not likely)

David will keep in touch with me on any new developments arising this winter/spring from their consideration of changes for kayak boaters' benefits.

It definitely would be great to have access to the entire lake, but I "fear" it would immediately create a stampede as every kayak tour operator in Southcentral would put this location on their tours offered list as the only road accessible glacier kayaking location available. The pristine natural beauty of the lake view would be changed forever for sure. But not really a bad thing in my mind since the glacier can't even be seen anymore from the road system on the viz center side.

I've attached a screen grab of the Order (Page 1) and the latest revision of the topo map (Page 2) defining the restricted and accessible areas for paddle kayaks. Below the images are the links to the web pages on the Forest Service website posting the order and updated map.

These links take you to the original documents I have posted above.
Here is the original order recorded in the Federal Registrar on Portage Lake restrictions.
https://fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3799967.pdf

And here is the updated color topo map revision they have posted.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5274623.pdf
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 02:55:24 PM by Klondike Kid »
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

anything