Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:03:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: OK, Git'em Before They Are All Gone! HOMER KINGS  (Read 2406 times)

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
Well my fellow Alaskans, time to get off the couch, load up the 'yak, take your radio to listen to the world series and get on down to Homer Town! (Fortunately my cell phone has a built in radio!)

Feeder Kings are on the bite.

First photo was one of a number of kings on Shane's boat on MONDAY. Shane calls this the Quart of Gas Hole
RUDY has coined it The No Gas Hole. That should give you a hint about where these fish are....right in your lap~! City Limits Chinook!

These two photos show the haul for a boat load of anglers on TUESDAY a little beyond kayakers' range but proof the kings are feeding and very willing to take hardware or bait if you can put it in front of them.  They brought 25 kings to the boat and kept 16 to limit everyone and proxies.

I was planning on hitting it Thursday morning but I'm sitting here Wednesday night, uh make that Thursday morning at 3:30am with hooks and leaders and Coho Killers all over my keyboard and desk and decided I'll be there before sunrise on Friday. Time for my annual AOJ Halloween Video Fishing Report. :)

WEATHER WILL BE KILLER. THURSDAY - 46°F and 2 foot seas.  FRIDAY - 49°F and 2 foot seas. SATURDAY - 48°F and East 2 foot seas.

You can't get any more encouragement than that. Weather, Water, and Fish.  Good Luck!

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

SwansonSilver

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
Great post, good luck to ya! Unfortunately I think I'll be out of the game until those springers start showing up at whiskey gulch in may...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga except I get to kill something.
-Ron Swanson

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
Great post, good luck to ya! Unfortunately I think I'll be out of the game until those springers start showing up at whiskey gulch in may...

NOAA's long range Alaska winter weather forecast is for continued above average temperatures for 2016/2017 winter. So Pineapple Expresses, Chinooks and Willawahs on and off during this winter are a real possibility. Especially if the Jet Stream takes on the same flow pattern as last winter. Better keep that kayak handy.

The latest report I just got from Shane was "Sounds like it was pretty good fishing in front of town on Thursday morning."

Marine forecast is for East wind, 10 knots and 2 foot seas. I'm packing my gear as I write.  :)

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
FRIDAY - RAINED from Anchor Point to Soldotna on the drive home and still coming down tonight. Homer was great weather....DRY and didn't even wear a jacket, just PFD. 50°F and light breeze.  Was in the water around 11:30a, only 5 boats on the water. Everyone was working the condos and didn't see any action so I headed out further. Was going to do the downrigger cam thing again with some experimental offerings. DUH! You can't record anything on the GoPro if you left the memory chip back on the computer desk. I did have 3 other GoPros in my pack in the boat but left the tools for removing the cam from the downrigger weight back at the truck. Gave Shane a shout on text and told him my bummer. He was 2 fish short of limiting his boat at the time but 15 miles from the Spit so that was "worthless" info for me. He did say that since I had no cam to film I'll probably catch some fish. HA, ain't that the way it always works out?

Couldn't hit any fish at shallow or deep even when marking fish  near the surface and near the bottom. 40 foot in 75 to 90 feet was the ticket for me. Because I'm on a UV experiment kick, and because Mike's Brite & Tight "UV enhanced" blue dye brine is NOT UV (as I tested) I decided to play around with some ProCure salmon roe cure in the Double Redd Hot on my brined troll herring as that lights up my eggs like a 1960's hippie DayGlo poster in bright orange under UV and bright red under daylight. Perhaps the fish will take a liking to that color too. No brine dyes seems to cover this color range.

Well it worked; first king was 7+ pounder on the ProCure. Next was a ping pong paddle on the same red ProCured herring = dinner! Hit one more salmon on the red but gave it a moment's slack and it shook the hook. Decided to switch to the Mikes Brine blue dyed herring. Very shiny and looks great under water. It didn't take long before the line popped from the release just as the wind started to kick up a bit of white caps. That one hit the scale at 12 pounds.

Didn't see any kayakers out there today. Forecast for Saturday is SE 15, seas 2ft, RAIN.  Sunday less than 10 knots variable, seas 2 feet and dry.

I might have to get down there again on Sunday....world series travel day....and this time bring the tools and memory chips for the cams!!

« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 10:47:40 AM by Klondike Kid »

Low_Sky

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
If the reports hold up I'll probably be out there Sunday. Depends on how bad the ptarmigan (or lack of ptarmigan) wear me out tomorrow. Thanks for the report, KK!

2016 Hobie Revolution 16
2014 Perception Triumph 13

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
If the reports hold up I'll probably be out there Sunday. Depends on how bad the ptarmigan (or lack of ptarmigan) wear me out tomorrow. Thanks for the report, KK!

Marine forecast has been fairly consistent all week long as the future days become reality so let's hope they have this storm dialed and Sunday is going to be a flat day. Wunderground is calling for 66% chance of rain (.61") and 46°F Sunday.

Here was one of my "experimentals" for the day. Used 3 out of the 4 herring I brought. 3 hookups, 1 salmon and 1 halibut landed, 1 shakeoff(my fault). The blue dye took the last king just to see if they were biting other things.

Camera Flash Light

UV Light (hopefully that Extra Dimension the fish were seeing)

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Great report.  Interesting to see the experiments.  That is the one drawback of a kayak is that its tough to gauge what is better when running just one line. 

Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Low_Sky

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015

Great report.  Interesting to see the experiments.  That is the one drawback of a kayak is that its tough to gauge what is better when running just one line.

KK rides solo in his boat, so he still only gets one line. But he can also bring as much wacky experimental stuff as he wants!

2016 Hobie Revolution 16
2014 Perception Triumph 13

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal

KK rides solo in his boat, so he still only gets one line. But he can also bring as much wacky experimental stuff as he wants!
Low_Sky hit it on the head for sure. My tackle box weighs more than my 13 lb. downrigger weight/cam system. And its jammed with ziplocks of quart and gallon size baggies separating out all the experiments to keep track of. There is no way I could drag a 13# cam system with the kayak. (Probably would turtle me!) And this past Sunday, even after shortening my line out back to the flasher over what I had two weeks ago it was still difficult to see my presentation. With these conditions I will have to put the gear no further than 8 feet from the cam until things clear up.  That means putting a fresh silver paint job on my bulky 9" long weight/cam system to look like a big salmon swimming by.   But this time I'm adding silver glitter on the surface besides the prism tape already there.   BTW, sea green or sea blue should be the color of downrigger weights to make them "invisible" in the water instead of a big black thing that might be a seal or other predator. Never could figure out the mentality of the manufacturers' choice of that color of all things. And remember, a dark seal or salmon shark swimming straight at a salmon looks like the shape of a round big black canon ball. The worst nightmare for a fish!! A side view of a seal allows the prey to flee.

The fish response I saw on the cam of the one salmon attacking (I should have put that in CAPS too) my blue hooligan was very encouraging. IF they have an affinity for properly prepared and presented hooligan compared to a $9 pack of troll herring its going to "destroy" the bait tray suppliers for those of us "in the know".  ;)  I've spent all morning on the Internet searching for rigging to use on those large size bulky smelt. Still searching. Already thawing another six pack of hoolies.  :)  And I'm digging out a bunch of Wiggle Fins I was given for test fishing that I've not gotten wet yet. I suspect those are going to impart a good vibration to the bait like crippled herring in their death shake. Hmm.  Maybe that rig never really got its day in the sun that it deserved. I'll find out.

But you know, if one were to experiment with a lot of off the wall concepts and ideas without the use of a camera system, AND never caught any fish, you just don't know if its a complete failure or was actually bringing fish to the presentation but just needed some "tweaking" to change interest to attack.

In my opinion, its a wide open ball game with a lot of things yet to discover in a fishery and a method of fishing that is centuries old. This dog can learn new tricks!