Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:15:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Spot
[Today at 10:57:58 AM]

[Today at 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Hobie inflatable kayaks  (Read 2072 times)

jsfishndreams

• Herring
  • Date Registered: May 2016
So I was just wondering if any of you guys have any experience up here with the inflatable kayaks. Particularly on the ocean. Do they get blown around a lot, are they as stable as my outback ect.  I need to get another yak for my daughter and I are looking into the inflatables as an option for space. But if they are not safe or do not last areas long I will find another way to transport 2 yaks.

Low_Sky

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=17751.0

Also check out the posts by Rogerdodger in the "other paddlecraft" section.
http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?board=29.0

I have no first-hand experience with one.  A few folks have tried it.  The older tube-raft style models are said to get blown around a fair amount.  The newer models with a lower profile probably do quite a bit better in the wind. 

2016 Hobie Revolution 16
2014 Perception Triumph 13

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
my experience goes like this:  Oasis and i11s, both with sailing rudder, lots and lots of lake and 'near-ocean' bay/estuary outings, plus 5 actual 2016 ocean outings (3 Oasis, 2 i11s) out of Sunset Bay Oregon .  my ocean 'go' conditions are 4' swells on at least 10s, preferably 12s, and wind predicted under about 10mph (or said another way, I like launching at first light and expect to get back in once the wind picks up and starts gusting much above about 10mph).

the i11s seems to get pushed by the wind the same or slightly less than the Oasis, I'm not sure how one of the normal 'kayak' shaped inflatables would do since they present more side surface area for the wind to push on.  another observation would be that I felt equally safe and capable of dealing with conditions in either boat.

as for fishing, the halibut, lingcod, chinook, and coho that I have put in the i11s all came in bay/estuaries, so I can't attest to its value in jigging, trolling herring, and casting spinners, but my ocean catching on it were just rockfish but not concerned about landing big fish to it anywhere...no plans to carry crab pots on the i11s, the Oasis is my boat for that.   I put lots of i11s videos up on YouTube this year but I don't think any were in high wind conditions.  cheers, roger 

2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

jsfishndreams

• Herring
  • Date Registered: May 2016
Well I think I am decided on the i11s which I would have never considered  had it not been for Rogerdodger. It looks to be wide enough to stand on and cast from on a lake or the Kenai but will go pretty fast on the water.  Also it rolls up so that I do not have to spend more money on a rack, take up space in the garage and I can throw it in my RV or take it one a plane.  I'm going to try and rent one when I go down to Washington/Oregon to pick up my RV this summer.  They seem to be so close in price to another outback that I want to be sure before I take the plunge. I know Oregon does not have any sales tax, is there a good dealer you would recommend? It would save me the price of shipping to Alaska and might cheaper too.  Thanks for the input guys. 

Dan_E

• Lingcod
  • Formerly known as Indyflyer
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
I bought my i11s from The Kayak Shed in Hood River, best service and great people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
Well I think I am decided on the i11s which I would have never considered  had it not been for Rogerdodger. It looks to be wide enough to stand on and cast from on a lake or the Kenai but will go pretty fast on the water.  Also it rolls up so that I do not have to spend more money on a rack, take up space in the garage and I can throw it in my RV or take it one a plane.  I'm going to try and rent one when I go down to Washington/Oregon to pick up my RV this summer.  They seem to be so close in price to another outback that I want to be sure before I take the plunge. I know Oregon does not have any sales tax, is there a good dealer you would recommend? It would save me the price of shipping to Alaska and might cheaper too.  Thanks for the input guys.

I bought mine at Kayak Shed in Hood River.   Easy to stand on the i11s at least until my legs get tired..several hours of pedaling and I tend to move around more on my knees...cheers, roger
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
So I was just wondering if any of you guys have any experience up here with the inflatable kayaks. Particularly on the ocean. Do they get blown around a lot, are they as stable as my outback ect.  I need to get another yak for my daughter and I are looking into the inflatables as an option for space. But if they are not safe or do not last areas long I will find another way to transport 2 yaks.

I have the i12.  I bought it so I could take it with me when I travel. Wobbler and I took a couple i12s up to a remote lodge on Kuiu Island and we had a blast http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=15685.0 .  Very capable, and stable, yaks.  The do catch the wind a bit, but that didn't bother me much.  I do like the looks of new i11, but that wasn't available at the time. I would love to test one out.  I do know, that I would take my i12 out anywhere I would go in my Outback.  Works great for crabbing, too.