Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:48:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:40:17 PM]

[Today at 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[Today at 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 11:35:40 AM]

[Today at 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Want to make connections for long river trips  (Read 1995 times)

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Do you know of any forums or websites which I could use to make connections with kayakers and canoeists who want to do multi-week river trips in Alaska, the Yukon, the Northwest Territories, and similar areas?  I prefer trips with some whitewater, although any long trip is going to involve a lot of flat water.

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
That's a really huge area you mentioned and you weren't real specific what you want to do.

You might not want to get plugged in to a vegan sightseeing crew and proudly strut late into camp the first night with fat chrome sea kittens. They might tie you to a tree and leave you for the bears.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
That's a really huge area you mentioned and you weren't real specific what you want to do.

You might not want to get plugged in to a vegan sightseeing crew and proudly strut late into camp the first night with fat chrome sea kittens. They might tie you to a tree and leave you for the bears.
It is a big area.  Most long river trips up north tend to be flatwater trips; it's hard to find trips which offer some whitewater excitement.  Examples of trips I'd be interested in are (a) the South Nahanni in the NW Territories, starting at Flat Lake on the Little Nahanni (which I've done), (b) the South Nahanni, starting at Moose Ponds (which I haven't done), (c) the Hess and Stewart in the Yukon Territory (which I've done), (d) the Mountain River in the Yukon Territory, (e) the Bonnett Plume River in the Yukon Territory, and (f) the Happy and Sqwentna Rivers in Alaska (which I've done).  A trip which I've done in Alaska, but am probably too old and feeble to repeat, is that we started where the Maclaren crosses the Denali Highway, ran down the Maclaren and the Susitna to a point about ten miles above the Devils Canyon (which we were definitely not interested in tackling), did a four mile portage with 650 feet of altitude gain to Stephan Lake, ran down Prairie Creek to the Talkeetna River, and down the Talkeetna to the town of Talkeetna.  The sections of the MacLaren and Susitna involved in this trip had nothing more difficult than easy Class III, but there is some fun Class IV on the Talkeetna.

You are right about the risk of connecting with the vegan sightseeing crew.  This summer my wife and I were hiking near Seeley Lake, when we encountered a woman from the Netherlands who was biking the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route.  She had a doctorate in fisheries immunology, and was taking a year off to have fun after a post-doctorate position in Canada.  She was solo on a tandem mountain bike because her boyfriend was sick.  We fed her dinner and put her up for the night.  In course of the evening I discovered that she and her boyfriend are quite active kayakers, and were thinking of canoeing the South Nahanni this summer.  Hot damn, I thought, this is a great connection.  But as dinnertime approached, I offered her an array of wild game and fish options for dinner.  She got a look of alarm on her face, and responded that she has been a vegetarian all of her life, which was surprising for somebody involved in fisheries science.  So we had to whomp up a vegetarian dinner.  But vegan sightseers can be good river companions, if you can work out the food arrangements.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 08:45:46 AM by pmmpete »

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
you might want to post your interest on "Paddling.com", which used to be Paddling.net.   They have a trip forum, "Wilderness Paddling",  that might put you in touch with like-minded people.   "Westcoastpaddler.com" is another site but it does have primarily ocean or flatwater paddlers and activity is quite a bit lower.   However, cast your net wide and you may find someone.
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--