Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 08:48:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 09, 2024, 09:27:35 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Res Bay or K Bay Drop Off Taxis  (Read 3716 times)

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
I did some forum searching and didn't really see this covered so it shouldn't be redundant.

Since I've not needed the services of any water taxis in Seward or Homer until I acquired my Outback I've now been giving some consideration to using the local water taxis for a multi-day drop off kayak trip. Both areas offer some great pricing for a variety of destinations if you have the minimum folks in your group or can piggy-back on another group using the boat that same day.

Although I've explored both areas with my power boat its always been a day trip and back to the harbor so the chance for a few days of peaceful serenity, some fishing, clamming and exploring is definitely calling me. Have any of you hooked up with the taxis for a drop off overnighter or multi-day?  As I recall K_84 has done at least one out at Fox Island which is one spot on my list due to the access to black rockfish nearby and the cohos which stage at Sunny Cove. Bear Glacier drop off and an adventure into the glacial lake for a couple days of photography among the ice bergs is also high on the list.

Back in Homer my fondest stomping grounds have always been the Tutka Bay area, so thinking of base camping in Jakalof Bay or on McD Spit on a minus tide set for digging steamers and some live bait fishing for barndoors as a possible itinerary not to mention poking around for a feeder king. My cousin has Tandem Island I'm trying to talk into some of these outings too.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

Low_Sky

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
KK, I don't have anything useful for you, but it's a great idea. A trip like this is on my "maybe someday" list, but I've never put the planning in or dedicated time to it since I don't have the local knowledge of where to go. I'm hesitant to invest that much time and money and end up on a camping trip, but I'd probably tag along with somebody that has the know-how to be in the right place at the right time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016 Hobie Revolution 16
2014 Perception Triumph 13

katinalaska

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
I would be up for it. The only reason I haven't done it yet is due to lack of knowledge of when and where. If someone has the knowledge and does the arranging, I would be glad to pitch in and come along.

Fishapalooza

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
I had the folks at Miller's Landing drop me off in Sunny Cove 2 summers ago. Unfortunately for me, it was anything but sunny. It was cloudy when i got out there. Dropped my gear and went out to fish. It was my first summer with the kayak, first time out there, and then the wind picked up. A low pressure system moved in and it rained sideways. I was still trying to fish in the gathering waves, until i saw a pair of orcas headed into protected water closer to Seward. It's kind of a puckering experience when you're looking up at an orca's dorsal fin, even though they were a ways away. If i were to go back, I'd rent a state cabin, i heard they have some on Fox island, but don't quote me. I'd be happy to try again, with more planning and others along to share the experience, risks and cost. The folks at Miller's Landing charged $75 for roundtrip and they price match anyone in Seward.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

T_Bird

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Wow! Great resource... I was there during the Derby and didn't ask them... thanks for the resource: Fishapalooza!

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
It's good to see some interest in overnighting camp out drop offs in Res Bay and KBay. I've done a brief preliminary investigation of "housing" if the concensus wants to opt for a cabin to call base camp and branch out from there. Quite affordable when you have 4 - 6 folks covering the $70 a night fee with a place right on the beach. Res Bay has a few Forest Service cabins and in KBay there are state cabins as well as seven Yurts for rent from a private concessionaire. The water taxis are all similar in price, running about $70ish dollar range for round trip drop off and pick up to most locations.

There are many variables in play. Planing a trip to Tutka during the sockeye run could put six reds a day on the stringer for everyone. Or six pinks a day. The area has halibut and kelp greenlings plus juvenile cod for live bait fishing for 100 pound halibut in the area. McD Spit offers steamer clams on minus tides....a bonus.

I've done a quick "scan" of the Tutka/Jackalof/Sadie Cove/China Poot property owners on the borough GIS parcel viewer database and there are plenty of State land and BLM properties to camp on if there isn't a need for a cabin or yurt and folks are comfy with camping out.

Long way to summer but the preliminary research looks like some great opportunities to combine some overnight camp outs with some lucrative fishing and clamming opportunities at the same time. And very affordable as a group.

More to come.

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I would enjoy doing trips like this!!  Alaska is a long way from Oregon, but thanks for sharing your ideas openly on a forum like this.  Do you get concerned about bear activity if you are tent camping? 

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
I would enjoy doing trips like this!!  Alaska is a long way from Oregon, but thanks for sharing your ideas openly on a forum like this.  Do you get concerned about bear activity if you are tent camping?

Well each camper's "tolerance" can vary depending on their comfort level when in the outdoors with just a thin layer of nylon or polyester between them and Smokey. But for the most part bears in AK tend to avoid human activities unless encouraged by improper handling of food and garbage. Using safe practices of suspending your food above the reach of bears or using bearproof containers are typical measures used. A bigger safety concern comes from a surprise encounter with a bear or family of bears out on the trail or near a kill they are feeding on.  Many campgrounds and cabin facilities are adding bear proof storage now for users.

Fishapalooza

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Wow! Great resource... I was there during the Derby and didn't ask them... thanks for the resource: Fishapalooza!

No problem T-Bird, at least something good finally came out of that trip lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

Wgiv

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2015
I am interested 100%. I've kayaked and camped in Resurrection Bay before. That was before I had my fishing kayak. But I've wanted to take a taxi out further. 

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
One of the positive points to mention about Resurrection Bay and future/potential new kayakers (or those of you in the L48 that would like to come up and engage in some ocean kayaking): The folks at Miller's Landing who operate several water taxi boats also offer kayak rentals & gear and for those who have no experience they provide a short (required) half day class of basic kayak skills, wet exit, and deep water self rescue re-entry before renting their boats. This is a great way for visiting family or your Alaskan friends to accompany kayakers on day trips or drop off overnighters around Res Bay and send them home with a truly great experience and memories.

Fox Island Spit is a popular kayak base camp for explorers and anglers alike. In season there are pinks and cohos staging in the area. With rockfish and if you are lucky a few halibut available throughout the season.

jmbx2ditto

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
I planned a trip to K-bay last October but it did not work out. I plan to do a fall trip again, this time in September since the Reg. Change on winter Kings. Would have the advantage of Kings, Halibut and Silvers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
I planned a trip to K-bay last October but it did not work out. I plan to do a fall trip again, this time in September since the Reg. Change on winter Kings. Would have the advantage of Kings, Halibut and Silvers.

You might be in for a double bonus with that schedule.  With the "no recording" change for king salmon beginning September 1, its possible the Homer Elks 2 day King Derby could be moved up into September to take advantage of warmer (better?) weather and many more participants who haven't winterized their boats yet. Could be a record-breaking pay out this next derby.  And thanks to Rudy's lobbying the derby sponsors there is now a kayak category prize too.

29°F on Christmas Day in Soldotna! HOMER is at 36.2°F and rain with a 1mph wind and totally FLAT SEAS right now. And not a kayaker in sight on the webcam. All the snow on the spit is gone!
http://www.homerwebcams.com/

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011

One fishing/camping trip that hasn't been explored too much is a trip over to Tutka Bay without a "mothership" taking you over there. How many miles is it to paddle/peddle over from the end of the spit ? Maybe 5 miles ? Most of us can do that pretty easy. And there are a lot of places to camp over in that area. Anything from private campgrounds with private cabins to primitive camping on the state beaches .

Many of you might have poked around in Sadie Cove or Tutka Bay or any of many other spots that are all close enough for a day trip. Even if it was in a powerboat and only for a day.  If you pick your weather days --- you can save the expense of a water taxi and just get there on your own. Fish and camp for a few days then paddle/peddle home. Keep it simple and make it happen. You have the power. Now just do it.
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
7.6 miles from Spit to Grass Island in the middle of the mouth of Tutka. Only problem with carrying your overnight gear "on your back" is space and load limitations of the kayaks. Some folks might not be into the minimalist camp out experience. And too, should fishing be successful you could end up with literally a boat load of weight from just a couple big halibut or from limits of salmon from the Lagoon fishery which would complicate coming back not to mention preservation.  With round trip only ≈$70 and the luxury of bringing coolers and the kitchen sink its more encouraging to a broader group for sure. The exploration possibilities would provide something for everyone. Whether beach combing, fishing, wildlife photography, hiking trails in the state park or clam digging. The outing would make a great piece to write up and post.
 And yes, even salmon shark fishing when the pinks start showing up at the Lagoon. I had one alongside my 19' Bayliner one time that was over half the length of my boat and found out they can turn their heads and flash their dentures. I felt very small at that moment.

I see sit-in kayakers making the crossing both ways all summer long usually in the evenings when the waters flatten out. But they don't seem to be packing much more than safety gear and perhaps extra clothing inside. The cabins and yurts do offer the next level of creature comfort and are in locations that make great base camps to spread out from. I didn't even know about the yurts until I saw a post mentioning them.

The older I get the more I subscribe to the adage, "You can't take it with you." And one of my own, "I'd rather enjoy spending it myself than let my heirs enjoy it!"  They can squabble over my leftovers!